Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boomer Esaison takes shot at NY media

Zab Judah

Boom With a View: Every Win is Pretty

Whoever said, “Winning ugly doesn’t count” doesn’t understand the amount of hard work, preparation and stress that go into a football game. Even when the Jets win, it seems like it’s just not good enough to many members of the media.

I keep hearing phrases like, “Chad Pennington has to step up,” and “Pennington has to put the team on his shoulders.” It’s like he is supposed be some kind of mythical figure instead of a player who is just supposed to win a football game. As Herm Edwards said after the game yesterday, “I judge my quarterback on whether we win or lose, and when we win – that means he played well.”

It’s beyond me why Chad Pennington has to do something to justify just how good of a player he is. Maybe it’s just that I’m so sensitive because I live in New York and understand the cynical nature of the media better than most. The kid is a damn good football player and doesn’t need to be over-analyzed following every throw. Even a couple idiotic Dolphin defenders decided to take pot-shots at him after they walked off the field and had just lost. I have no idea what Vonnie Holliday was thinking about when he took issue and questioned Chad Pennington’s arm strength. I’m sure all Holliday was doing was reacting to an inane, stupid question posed to him by some writer looking to fuel the flames of Jets fans.

The NFL season is a 16-game marathon that takes fans, players, coaches and ownership through a meandering journey that will be filled with exhilaration and frustration. It would be easy for me to call up Chad Pennington and tell him not to listen to the radio or not to read the newspapers. But I know that this is not humanly possible regardless of what a player or a coach might say in the heat of the moment.

Under Herman Edwards and Chad Pennington, the New York Jets have been one of the top, most-competitive teams in the NFL. And yet for the cynical fan or media member, the glass is always half-empty. I’m sure there will be some who read this and think that I am a show for an organization that almost had me killed up in Buffalo one afternoon and nothing could be further from the truth. I grew up in New York, I played in New York, and I live in New York. I understand the level of performance for a New York Jet quarterback will always be judged in the shadow of one Joe Namath. In this day and age of radio, television and print coverage, players like Chad Pennington and coaches like Herm Edwards are almost always unfairly judged unrealistically.

One of the reasons I feel this way is because people have to again realize that Chad Pennington played hurt last year and put his career on the line to lead his football team. He did it because he knew it was the only way the Jets could win. And for laying his career on the line, what he gets in return is public ridicule, scorn and boastful articles that dare Chad to be something he isn’t.

In what I think could become a turning point for the New York Jets this season, their fourth quarter touchdown drive was really a thing of beauty. It included multiple completions on third down and it was a vintage Chad Pennington-led drive. The quarterback never panicked. He never bought into the boos or the underlying cynicism that has engulfed the Meadowlands and calmly led his team to a touchdown. Sitting in the CBS NFL Today studio, colleague Dan Marino and I talked about how opposing teams try to turn the crowd against you at the Meadowlands. Sometimes players give in, but Chad Pennington never gave in. As a matter of fact, Chad quietly and calmly led the team down the field.

Seventeen points isn’t where the Jets offense wants to be, but it still was a step in the right direction as they continue to learn the nuances that new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger is bringing to the table. It was very important that there were no critical errors, no interceptions.

On the other side of ball, the Jets defense really woke up even if they weren’t playing the Dan Marino-led Miami Dolphins. They tackled much better this week. They were relentless. They were in the face of Gus Frerotte. They really forced the Dolphins into a game they didn’t want to play. If you’re Miami, the game is all about running the football and the Jets held the Dolphins to only 66 yards rushing on 18 carries. This was the defensive effort Donnie Henderson expected in week one and received in week two.

One of the reasons the Jets were successful was they were playing at home, and they were playing in front of 75,000 people. The Dolphins found out how difficult it is to play on the road much like the Jets did last week and much like Denver also felt like last week in Miami. That’s why it’s so important for the Jets to hold serve at home. Seven home wins should be the minimum goal for the Jets. As they continue to learn their offense, it is going to be vital that they play smart and poised offensive football, much like their quarterback did this week. In saying that, it’s not going to be easy Sunday. Jacksonville showed Indianapolis this week just what in-your-face defense is all about. Expect another low-scoring game as the Jets prepare for the Jacksonville Jaguars. We’ll talk about that match-up later this week.

Archived