Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Bucs Back Suspended for Steroids Violation

spanishomelette

Bucs Back Suspended for Steroids Violation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/16/AR2005091601308.html

The Associated Press

Friday, September 16, 2005; 5:26 PM

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay rookie fullback Rick Razzano was suspended four games Friday by the NFL for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids.

Razzano, a seventh-round draft pick from Mississippi, said through the team that he tested positive for a substance he used in training before joining the Buccaneers. He did not identify the substance.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/09/16/PH2005091601389.jpg

Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie fullback Rick Razzano is shown in this 2005 NFL handout photo. Razzano was suspended four games on Friday, Sept. 17, 2005, by the NFL for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids. Razzano, a seventh-round draft pick from Mississippi, said through the team that he tested positive for a substance he used in training before joining the Buccaneers. He did not identify the substance.(AP Photo/NFL) (AP)

"I take full responsibility for my mistake and encourage all athletes to be fully aware of all substances which may be prohibited by the NCAA or their respective sports and leagues," Razzano said.

"I apologize to my family, my coaches, teammates, the ownership and Buccaneer fans for the embarrassment and distraction I have caused. Let my experience be a further lesson for all."

Razzano, a third-stringer who plays behind Mike Alstott and Jameel Cook, was inactive for last Sunday's season opener at Minnesota. He will be eligible to return to the active roster on Oct. 10, a day after Tampa Bay plays the New York Jets.

The suspension follows the arrests this week of reserve cornerback Torrie Cox and offensive assistant Jay Gruden, younger brother of Bucs coach Jon Gruden, on drunken driving charges.

"He made a terrible error in judgment. The program is very clear, and we're proud of it in the NFL. You're responsible for what's in your body," Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said of Razzano.

"The penalty is severe. ... It's 25 percent of his possible income for the year. He is absolutely going to have a tattoo on him for quite a few years. ... It has a dramatic effect on his career. But he can overcome it by performing well and never again being associated with this."

Archived