Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Brunell, not Ramsey, will start for Redskins against Cowboys

spanishomelette

Who should be our starter [at CB]?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our starter [at CB]?

• Rogers: He's a first-round pick; he should get in!
    • Harris: He is serviceable and dependable.
    • Jimoh: He just needs another chance.

Brunell, not Ramsey, will start for Redskins against Cowboys

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2005-09-12-qb-switch_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — Mark Brunell will start for the Washington Redskins next Monday night against the Dallas Cowboys, retaking the quarterback job from Patrick Ramsey.

Brunell came in to lead a season-opening victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday.

Coach Joe Gibbs had prepared for nearly a year for Ramsey to be the 2005 starter, but the coach changed his mind after Ramsey threw an interception and fumbled twice in Sunday's game before leaving with a mild neck injury.

"This is something that is extremely hard," Gibbs said Monday. "You don't like doing this. I don't. Sometimes you don't chart the circumstances or what happens — it just happens. Certainly it wasn't the plan I had going in, but sometimes plans change, and I think you do the best you can in dealing with it."

Brunell was the opening day starter last year after winning a training camp competition over Ramsey, but he had the worst season of his career with stats that ranked near the bottom of the league. Brunell, who signed a seven-year, $43 million contract after being traded from Jacksonville, was booed heartily and was replaced with Ramsey in the ninth game. A few weeks later, Gibbs said Ramsey would be this year's starter.

But the 35-year-old Brunell appeared rejuvenated during training camp this year, outperforming Ramsey in all four preseason games and giving Gibbs confidence to make the switch.

"I know a lot of people would disagree with this, and I understand that," Gibbs said. "For me, personally, I felt like it was a decision that I had to make. I think we've got a situation where two quarterbacks can win ball games for us. ... I know this is something that Patrick doesn't agree with — he's a very competitive guy — but it's something we're going to have to work through."

Ramsey left Sunday's 9-7 victory with a sprained neck when he was hit by linebacker Lance Briggs on a blitz in the second quarter. Ramsey was well enough to return at halftime, but Gibbs stuck with Brunell for the rest of the game.

Ramsey and Brunell had similar stats for the game — with one huge exception: Brunell led three scoring drives, while Ramsey led three drives that stalled with either a fumble or an interception. Gibbs has shown little tolerance for turnovers this year, something he backed up Sunday by yanking Antonio Brown as the kickoff returner after Brown fumbled the opening kick of the second half.

Ramsey completed 6 of 11 passes for 105 yards, but his first drive ended with an overthrow that was picked off by Nathan Vasher. Ramsey fumbled on third down on his second drive, but teammate Jon Jansen recovered to turn a potential turnover into a punting situation. On his third series, Ramsey understandably lost the ball when he was popped by Briggs. Still, Ramsey's 52-yard completion to Santana Moss was longer than any pass play the team had all of last year.

Brunell was 8-for-14 for 70 yards, more methodical and mistake-free. His biggest play was a 36-yard pass interference penalty that negated an interception. He led drives of 43, 47 and 63 yards, but they ended in field goals instead of touchdowns.

A quarterback controversy always seems inevitable on a team that produced Sonny vs. Billy, Jay vs. Doug, Heath vs. Gus and many others, but no one expected the issue to come to a head after just one game. It turns out that Ramsey was injured just enough to open the door for Brunell's return.

"Mark did the thing that a backup is supposed to do," guard Ray Brown said, "go in and play well and keep himself on the coach's mind."

Archived