Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen A. Smith | Eagles brass tempts fate by denying Westbrook

tr1

Hmmm....must be reading my posts...

By Stephen A. Smith

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/12615850.htm

Inquirer Columnist

At some point, the engine will conk out.

At some point, that pragmatic, arrogant, dismissive approach the Eagles take to the negotiating table demands the kind of retribution that won't flinch in the face of public scrutiny or wilt because of some franchise tag.

Nonchalance can last only so long before karma kicks in, before the rest of the laborers in helmets and pads take serious notice that a Brian Westbrook is no different from a Terrell Owens when it comes to the bottom line.

The Eagles may have the dollars and some leverage, but they don't get to win in the court of public opinion this time. The complainant, just as worthy of a hefty contract as the previous one, hasn't been exiled from training camp, dismissed for insubordination, or accused of making a fool of himself by throwing a push-up party for reporters in his own driveway.

This is Brian Westbrook we're talking about now. The same man who rushed for 812 yards last season, who caught 73 passes for 703 yards last season, whom Donovan McNabb calls his "ultimate weapon" right now - who's done everything to deserve better from the Eagles.

"It's just tough and frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing in the back of my mind that I feel disrespected by the kind of offers that I continue to get from the Eagles," Westbrook told reporters earlier this week, breaking a monthlong silence that started after he reported eight days late to training camp on Aug. 8.

"I think this is a situation that is a business situation, but in reality, for me, it's personal."

I'm so surprised.

As Westbrook watched McNabb get all that money, witnessed Owens get all that acclaim, he accumulated 1,515 yards from scrimmage, making whatever sacrifices were necessary to help the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.

He ran when told to.

Caught when asked to.

And his reward was having his value defined by numbers and little else.

In three years, one of the Eagles' primary weapons has pocketed approximately $1.3 million. Add the one-year, $1.43 million restricted free-agent deal that he was basically forced to sign for this season, and that pushes it to approximately $2.73 million.

Listening to Westbrook, it appears he wants what Oakland gave LaMont Jordan, about $16 million for three years.

Most football fans know he deserves it.

The Eagles could not care less.

How old has this act gotten, anyway?

An entire nation lauds the Eagles for their hardball tactics, but at some point, it's worth debating why that is.

When Westbrook, who usually says nothing, comes out in a news conference to lambaste the Eagles' organization with claims of disrespect, much in the same way Owens tried to, when do greed and a lack of appreciation swing to the other side?

There's something wrong when Joe Banner gets to say "We're closer than [Westbrook] claims" in negotiations and it's accepted as gospel.

The Eagles were 10th in rushing yards in the NFC last season, 24th overall with 1,639 yards - and it means nothing. Selective amnesia is exercised the minute a Westbrook comes to the table reminding the Eagles of how they said they would take care of him.

Exactly where does anyone believe the Eagles would have ended up without Westbrook last season? There's some swampland ready to be sold to anyone who believes it would have been the Super Bowl, particularly without Owens in the lineup because of an ankle injury.

Westbrook has been an ace of the Eagles for years. Mr. Reliable last season, at least.

Most of the time, a reward awaits. Except it hasn't for Westbrook this time.

Usually, the blame would fall on the National Football League and the system it collectively bargained with the players. It does, after all, empower teams to reduce salary, to cut or waive players, to display none of the loyalty it requires from players in search of an extra buck.

The exception, however, would be the Eagles. They seem to enjoy flexing their muscles with a perpetual grin. Rarely has any team in sports history enjoyed such a luxury.

Without a Super Bowl championship to show for it, of course.

Wow, this article might actually make sense if the Eagles didn't actually maintain their veteran players. If you watched NFL countdown this morning, you would have heard them say the Eagles have retained the services of veteran players, mor than ANY OTHER NFL franchise over the last four seasons.

And by the way, they have over 25 million in cap space over the next two seasons. Westbrook WILL be signed long term. And dont give me that cheap team crap. they have speny every penny of their cap every season. They also have one of the highest payrolls EVERY year. How do they do this? By sliding money into the next season through unattained bonus money (same as the Patriots).

There are two ways to look at this...through the eyes of the reactionist or those of a realist.

Archived