Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I missing something with the Media?

NorthEast Skin

While listening to and reading media predictions about this years Skins season I began to try to remember when the media started becoming experts at football. I am not talking about making predictions, because that has always been done, but doing player evaluations? Doubting that Walt Harris cannot take Smoots place. I'm sure they have the football smarts to evaluate the cornerback position :rolleyes:. Stating that not signing Pierce is detrimental to the defense because there is no one available. Even this would be ok if they would look at the additions/positives to the team; a healthy Lavar, another year with no coaching changes, the addition of Phillip Daniels, receivers that could stretch the field, etc. I don't see how they could watch the skins last hear and not see that on deep routes most conerbacks were outrunning both Coles and Gardner.

In today's DC Examiner (http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/08/11/sports/comcast/001_comcast.txt) Chick Hernadez is asked "Will Ralph Friedgen and the Terps rebound for their 5-6 season of a year ago?" and he answers, "I would not bet one red cent against Ralph Friedgen.". And he would bet against Joe Gibbs who is a winner at everything that he does, who struggled during his first season also.

After thinking about it most are just not willing to do any hard work and settle for the easiest and quickest prediction possible. Last year, what happened, most of the media predicts playoff because it is the easy answer. It is just frustrating as a fan seeing all of the positives that are going on this year to not to have media members (George Michael is one exeption) not recognize the organizational change that Coach Gibbs is taking the Redskins through. It's unfortunate that this lopsided view affects quite a few of our fans to the point that I have to try to show my friends why that we should be cautiosly positive about this year.

Thanks Extremeskins for giving me the opportunity to vent!

Archived