Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 7 - 9?

Novato

Originally posted by Art

Let's take this apart quickly, shall we?

"I will take Allen, Gurode and Garmon over Loverne, Moore and Jones any day of the week. Allen can also play LT out at OT. In fact, he made the pro bowl at the position if I remember correctly. Jansen and Samuels hace the edge over our OTs, no doubt, but I would take our OL in a heartbeat over the Skins."

I, too, would likely take Allen, Gurode and Garmon over Loverne, Moore and Jones. But, I would take Jones over Garmon and you could legitimately argue that Moore is more capable today than Gurode as a rookie, though certainly, I'd love Gurode and his future as well. The real key is Allen for you over Loverne.

Thank you, we agree on something.

But, if we add Ben Coleman or Ray Brown, the interior question is distinctly different in answer. But, granted, right now, I too would prefer your group to ours. But, now is not August's final rosters.

True, neither teams roster is complete yet.

"Gurode can play both center and guard, he did so in college."

Gurode is a rookie and how he can play in the NFL is yet unknown.

Agreed. But I will trust the coaching staff's input here, and they have been on record already debating where to start him because he is that good.

"We have M. Lehr who was a fifth round draft pick as a back-up at guard, unless he beats out Garmon for the spot. Lehr hit the weight room this off-season and is at 300 lbs now. Lehr can also play center. Al Jackson (one of the better OL in NFLE) will be fighting for a apot as back-up OG as well.

Let me see if I have this straight. That depth you were discussing earlier pretty much boils down to Matt Lehr and Al Jackson? One, a guy who has worked out a lot and the other a bonanza from NFLE? This is supposed to be meaningful to me? I didn't mention Brandt, who actually started a game for us and can play guard or center, did I? I mentioned a guy who started for playoff teams, in Vickers. So, it would appear we both have prospects we'd like to count on as depth. But, we actually have a guy with recent starting experience on playoff football teams. Advantage, us, as I'm sure you see.

Actually, Lehr played last year when Garmon went down and he filled in rather well. Also, Jackson lost the starting job to Garmon last year in camp, so they gave him some time in NFLE.

I see. So, any name on your roster immediately qualifies as depth, while any name on our roster doesn't? You echo the twist on, "All that glitters is gold," by saying it, "All with a Cowboy helmet is gold." In fact, you don't have great depth on your line. And, in fact, you aren't a line that gets clear advantages over our line, in youth, depth or quality. You may get an advantage, but, it's hardly matter of fact.

I disagree. Just because they wear a Cowboy helmet it doesn't make them better. As I said, I would take Garmon, Allen and Gurode over your 3 interior OL, and YOU agreed. I said the Skins have the edge at OT. I would take Lehr, Jackson, Gibson and Dorsey over what the Skins have at back-up.

Along the defensive line, I have little to say because we are, clearly, a line that lacks proven depth. I would clearly give you a strong advantage in terms of depth,

We agree again, look out.

though, as a starting unit, I'm not sure where the advantage lies.

Closer yes, but I take the Cowboys unit.

Glover vs Wilkinson Glover easily

Noble vs Dotson TIE

Ellis vs Wynn Ellis

Smith gets a slight edge over Ekuban/Zellner for now (Smith is running out of gas, we shall see how he does)

:cheers:

Glover is a John Randle type, it is hard to judge his value as a DT. He has a solid pass rush, and should be able to get double digit sacks for the Boys. On the other hand, he is not reliable at stopping the run. The Boys had better get help around him or he will have teams running the ball down his throat.

I will take Big Daddy, the guy sees more double teams than Glover. True respect for a DT.

Originally posted by REDSKINS STOMP

Glover is a John Randle type, it is hard to judge his value as a DT. He has a solid pass rush, and should be able to get double digit sacks for the Boys. On the other hand, he is not reliable at stopping the run. The Boys had better get help around him or he will have teams running the ball down his throat.

I will take Big Daddy, the guy sees more double teams than Glover. True respect for a DT.

Good points. One thing though, Noble lines up in a position which forces him to be double teamed (same thing he did last year). If teams double team him and Glover both, our DE's will have 1 on 1 match ups against an OT and a TE.

We shall see, that is the type of stuff Glover will need. I just think Boys fans undervalue Big Daddy sometimes. Out of our entire roster, he will suffer most if he were to go down with a major injury. He is invalueable to our dline right now. His stats don't show how good he is. He was an alternate for the probowl last year, so he is not far from a probowl caliber player. Pretty good for a guy who doesn't have huge sack numbers.

Archived