Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nyp:plaxico Erases Giant Doubts

denverdan

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/24838.htm

PLAXICO ERASES GIANT DOUBTS

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO PROBLEM: Free-agent wideout Plaxico Burress has impressed the Giants with his work ethic.

June 8, 2005 -- Football reputations aren't built in June, so not much Plaxico Burress has done in his brief time with the Giants can stand up as evidence as to how this will work out. Still, the towering receiver has made a positive impression with his work ethic and demeanor.

Burress was considered an underachiever during his five years in Pittsburgh and left the Steelers amid whispers that his attitude was not exactly pristine. The free-agent market for him was lukewarm, at best. His first visit to the Giants ended in acrimony and no offer. The Giants eventually did ante up with a six-year, $25 million deal to sign him and then watched him head off to train in Miami for much of the off-season workout program.

While he's been on the scene, though, Burress has shown himself to be what he says he is: serious, reserved, accommodating.

"Plaxico is very focused, a very determined young man," said Mike Sullivan, the Giants' receivers coach. "He has done the extra to get better, he's out there catching balls after practice, he'll come up to my office and want to talk about the installation, things that are going in that day in practice, he likes to look at tape.

"He's very perceptive, takes everything in, very aware of what's going on, asks great questions. As a Giant, he's been great to work with."

During last week's minicamp, Burress certainly was an imposing sight, looking every bit like a dominating target. With the 6-5 Burress along with Amani Toomer (6-3) and Jeremy Shockey (6-5), the Giants plan to attack smaller defenders. Get ready for jump balls and fade patterns, although Burress did not look especially adept at hauling in passes at the top of his leap.

Admittedly, Burress says it's an adjustment getting accustomed to all of Tom Coughlin's rules and was amazed last week to see a horde of media surrounding him. He chose to wear No. 17, he explained, because he signed with the Giants on March 17.

"Going into free agency, a lot of things I took personally, some of the things people had to say about me that weren't true," Burress said. "The day I signed will be a day I'll never forget. I have an opportunity to prove what type of person and player I am, to my team and to everybody in the state of New York."

Archived