Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? for our cap guys..

Sag

Booker just signed a 7 yr. contract wih the Bears. 5.5 signing bonus, 1 mil for 2002........now the question. He also got 1 mil as a reporting bonus. Is that also spread out over the 7 years, or is it all on the 2002 cap total????? If it's all on 2002, why not just give him a 2 mil. contract? I must be missing something:doh: or just brain dead.:stupid:

That reporting bonus would be spread over the life of the contract, but I'm confused as to what the difference between a signing and reporting bonus is. My two guesses are 1) it is a special bonus for him not signing an offer sheet with another team as a restricted free agent, or 2) it was part of his original contract. At any rate, it would be spread out and not assessed all in 2002.

Signing bonuses are spread out over the life of the contract, up to a 7 year maximum

A roster bonuses only counts towards the cap in that particular year. So it's like giving out a signing bonus check that can only be cashed after you make the team.

I believe a reporting bonus is just like a delayed signing bonus, and it get's spread out over the remaining portion of the contract.

Typically these delayed bonuses used to help defer the cap impact of the initial signing bonus in the early years, and then it pops into play in 2 or 3 years. It's also used to force a team to make an employment decision early in the Free Agent period ... LIke Coleman's June 3rd reporting bonus. And if it's conditioned to reporting to camp, then I guess it can also be used as an incentive, to keep people like Deion from sitting at home and forcing our hand.

Archived