Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cover32.com: Camp Review: A look at the first few days of Washington Redskins training camp

http://cover32.com/redskins/2014/07/28/camp-review-reviewing-the-first-few-days-of-washington-redskins-training-camp/

First let’s start with the guy everyone wants to know about, quarterback Robert Griffin III. Griffin got off to a rough start on the first day of practice, mainly due to rain and sloppy conditions, which isn’t really an excuse because football games are sometime played in less than ideal circumstances. But it was only day one of camp, so no need to panic and make a big deal out of it.

Reports are that Griffin has improved each day and has looked impressive throwing receivers open, looking off a safety on one deep throw and getting through his progressions quicker. It also seems that his accuracy is getting close to it’s 2012 form as well. All great signs for the Redskins, and what you would expect from a quarterback entering his third season.

Griffin’s weapons have looked solid as well. He has established a connection with Andre Roberts over the offseason and mini camp, and it’s showing in practice. DeSean Jackson and Griffin are working on establishing a chemistry of their own after Griffin overthrew him on one deep ball, and under threw him on another. But don’t worry, they have connected on the deep ball a couple of times too.

One lesser known wideout I keep hearing good things about is rookie Ryan Grant. He can run outstanding routes for such a young player, and he catches the ball smoothly. He has a great fluidity to his game, and I’m excited to see what he can do in the preseason. He’s coming for one of those roster spots!

On the defensive side of the ball David Amerson is receiving all types of praise for his improvement over the off season. He’s a more confident player now due to the fact that he understands the scheme and what’s expected of him. And the fact that he’s locking up with Pierre Garcon and Jackson everyday can’t hurt either. Look for Amerson to establish himself as a top up-and-coming corner in the league this year.

“I’ve definitely [seen a difference] with Amerson,” said coach Gruden. “Amerson is playing with a lot of confidence, a lot of swag about him and that’s very important...

[...]Fellow often injured young player Chris Thompson has looked sharp so far too. He’s looking fast, quick and more confident out there. Coach Gruden and Griffin say they envision Thompson as that third down back/Darren Sproles type of player. He’ll have to fight with Roy Helu Jr, Lache Seastrunk,and Silas Redd for that position. I’m assuming that Evan Royster is outta here.

Archived