Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: NFL with Gary Horton

bubba9497

NFL with Gary Horton

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9037

Buzzmaster: Hang tight, we'll be talking more NFL shortly.

Gary Horton: I'm here and ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian ATL, GA: Whats your take on Chad Pennington, do you see him as the best QB the Jets have had since Namath ? Also, what is your projection for Ty Law, another Pro Bowl or flop ? Thanks

Gary Horton: I'm suspicious of the health of Pennington's arm. I hope he's 100 percent but I think his arm strength is a problem. New OC Mike Himerdinger loves the vertical game and Coles is a speed receiver but I don't know if they can get him the ball. If his arm is suspect defenses will creep up and jump his routes, making it even tougher for Martin to run the ball.

Gary Horton: As for Law, he still has excellent skills and is so smart he will continue to make plays even when his athleticism falls off. I don't think he can continue to be a premier turn and run corner but he'll bring some stability to that secondary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will (Akron): Gary, Romeo Crennel has done alot for the Browns in the offseason. And given they havent lost a preseason game. Do you see the browns going over .500?

Gary Horton: In all honesty, I don't. Crennel has a severe lack of talent and while they will be disciplined and play up to expectatios I don't think they can compete on a weekly basis. I think they're two or three years from being a contender. Crennel will tear this team down and start over.

joe (New Orleans): Saints seemed to run the ball better against the Pats, but the concern still has to be them stopping the run. I don't see it happening with their current personnel. The MLB made ONE tackle! Do you see that as something that will keep them from making the playoffs?

Gary Horton: Yes, the run defense wasn't very good a year ago and I don't know that it will be any better this year. And as explosive as the offense is the other big concern is Aaron Brooks at QB. I just don't know that he can win a big game. In my opinion, the Saints are the most confusing team in the NFL year in and year out because they never play to the level of their tremendous talent. It makes no sense for them to underachieve because coach Jim Haslett is one of the all-time tough guys.

Josh (Grand Rapids): I kow that preseason doesn't mean much, but have we seen signs that Joey Harrington is ready to play at a high level? I'm not buying his ticket to Hawaii, but a productive and winning season?

Gary Horton: I would like to think so, because he has the weapons around him and knows that Garcia is right behind him. But we won't really know until the regular season starts. So far the reviews are good, which is a positive sign.

Dan (NY): Brandon Jacobs' emergence seems as if it may finally signal an end to the Giants short yardage troubles - what do you expect out of Jacobs in his rookie year, and into the future?

Gary Horton: The happiest guy is probably Tiki Barber because Jacobs will take some of the tough carries and give Tiki some relief. The Giants have not been good in the red zone and Jacobs gives them a chance to score TDs instead of FGs, but let's not put him in the Hall of Fame yet.

Alex (Atlanta): Will the Eagles look to trade for a RB now that Buckhalter is out for the year? Reid loves the passing game, but they'll need a power back like the Patriot's Dillon and Steeler's Bettis if they are serious about returning to the SB.

Gary Horton: I agree they need a power back, and they need an alternative to Westbrook, but I'm not so sure they'll trade. They don't make a lot of rash moves and it would be out of style for them to trade for a back at this time of the year. I think they'll live with what they have.

Mike (Reno, NV): Baltimore has an already dominant defense, how is the new 4-6 scheme going to improve it?

Gary Horton: They will be more dominant this year becaue Ray Lewis is the perfect fit in the 4-3, which they'll play most of the time, and the 4-6 will put huge pressure on QBs. They have four outstanding corners, which gives them the flexibility to play any defense they want. It wouldn't surprise me if this unit reminds us of the '85 Bears, and I think Lewis will be the Defensive Player of the Year. The only difference with this 4-3 and the old Baltimore 4-3, is that Siragusa and Adams ate up space back then and protected Lewis, but this new scheme is more of a one-gap style that will not protect him as much, but they'll still dominate.

Tim (Rochester, NY): Willis McGahee is supposedly stronger than ever going into this season, but do you think he is durable enough for 350+ carries? The Bills don't really have a second option, and I'm worried his career could be shortened with overuse and his track will be more Fred Taylor than LaDanian Tomlinson.

Gary Horton: That's a legitimate concern, and even though we know how unhappy Travis Henry was you have to worry about McGahee's ability to get through 16 games without a good backup and an unproven QB. But if he can stay healthy he looks like the real deal.

Chris (Chicago): Gary...I don't think Hutchinson has starter-caliber stuff. How long before we see Orton leading the Bears? And how long before we see Benson (if he ever signs) take the starting spot from Thomas Jones? The Bears could win some big games if these two young guys step it up...no?

Gary Horton: I agree about Hutchinson not being the answer, and I'm not sure Orton is either, but he'll get a chacne a lot quicker than most think. I'm surprised that for a second year in a row the Bears didn't protect themselves with a backup QB. In terms of Benson, he has missed too much camp to be a factor early in the year, and he might have been the rookie back in line for the most carries this year. The season won't be a wash, but he won't be close to ready for a long time.

Kevin (Glen Rock, NJ): What kind of year can we expect out of David Carr? Thanks.

Gary Horton: I think Carr is primed to have a breakout year and I think it's expected in Houston because of the time he's had to develop. However, I'm not sure he has the proper protection. That's always been a problem, but regardless this is the year he needs to step up and play to expectations.

Alex (Atlanta): Many critics believe that Indy doesn't have much of a chance to win a SB b/c they have devoted too much money to their offense and not enough to defense. Does Indy really believe they can win it all this way? Haven't the Patriots, Bucs, and Ravens taught them anything about the necessity of a superb defense to get to the top?

Gary Horton: The problem is they do belive they need to upgrade the defense but dont' have the cap space to do it. Indy is saddled with a lopsided situation where most of the money is tied up on offense and they just have to live with that. The D will be improved but it's certainly not championship caliber and they are resigned to the fact that they have to outscore teams. The most important thing for them is to get homefield advantage in the playoffs, becuse their chances go way down if they have to play outside.

JL (Chicago): Is M. Moore going to be the full time starter this season, or does Bennett get his job back if he is 100%?

Gary Horton: I think the Vikings go into the season with a running back by committee philosophy. Not to cop out, but they'll let the season unfold and whoever is hot will get the ball. I don't think they care much about establishing a starter.

Gary Horton: This is Week 3 of the preseason and this is the time to start evaluating your favorite teams. Most teams will play the starters into the third quarter as the final tuneup, while Week 4 is all abotu staying healthy and playing the marginal guys. So check otu the trends and we'll talk about it all next week. Thanks for the questions!

Archived