Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video interview from combine with Rey Maualuga

Griff

This guy is very bright and would be an excellent choice and probably could contribute right away.

What would we do with him though? Would it be realistic to put him on the strong side and plan on moving him to the middle after a few years (when Fletch calls it quits)?

I'm not as familiar with LB transitions.

What would we do with him though? Would it be realistic to put him on the strong side and plan on moving him to the middle after a few years (when Fletch calls it quits)?

I'm not as familiar with LB transitions.

How do you know he wouldnt excel at SLB and we leave him there and draft a MLB when Fletcher goes?

I am sure this has been posted but it sure looks like Vinny liked what he saw at the senior bowl:

"Last year the depth was at offensive tackle, this year you've got quality guys at linebacker, and the thing about it, they are veteran guys, not all juniors so you'll have some guys that have some experience and production," Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Tuesday after a practice for Saturday's Under Armour Senior Bowl. "Some of these guys can play inside and some can play multiple spots. This group has really smart, good leaders and that's what you're looking for."

"I just came out here to be discovered," said a serious Maualuga. "The coaches may know my name but they don't know how I practice with elite players. They don't know how I compete against tough competition. I want to come out here and give everything I've got and hopefully, my play will speak for itself."

As Maualuga spoke, Cerrato stood outside of a small huddle of reporters, watching how the middle linebacker, who sports the long hair and speaks in the hushed tones of Pittsburgh Steelers safety -– and USC product –- Troy Polamalu. In fact, Maualuga's style of play is similar to that of Polamalu's, except Maualuga (250) weighs about 40 pounds more.

Cerrato's observation of Maualuga showed that the NFL evaluation process these days is more than how a player competes and interviews. It seems to also include how a possible star handles himself with the media.

ImgDyn.cfm?s=AP090119038876.jpg&rs=22&q=75&x=56&y=25&w=198&h=300

Here is a link to the whole article:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=nfldetail&pid=36143&pcid=43

Archived