Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DirecTv/multiswitch question

In Flames

ok, so my current setup is this. i have 2 dishes, each with one LNB. i have a 4x4 multiswitch running 2 dvr's, which, im assuming, is the max amount of tuners. to be able to watch tv in another bedroom, i have to disconnect one of the tuners on 1 dvr, and connect it to the other reciever. although it works fine, the dvr only has 1 tuner, it's a pain in the arse switching back and forth. plus i want to add an additional reciever in another b-room (my 7 month old son loves the music and blues clues, it helps put him to sleep) for a total of 6 tuners.

anyway, if i bought a 4x8 multiswitch, would i be able to do this myself, just replace the existing 4x4, or is there something confusing that needs to be done, that which only a directv installer can perform? from what i can tell, the 4x4 is NOT a powered switch, meaning it's getting it's power from the recievers.

i hope this isn't a confusing scenario, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your gonna have all kinds of issues with the multi switch. Especially with the DVR's. In order for the DVR's to function properly you really need seperate lines for them.

Not to mention if you want to watch something different while recording on the DVR (which is kind of the point right?;) ), you need to have the proper set up or you are screwed.

Take advice from a guy who spent no less than a year trying to circumvent having the extra lines/Dishes/receivers .....spend the money, have DirectTV some out and set it up properly. Its just not worth the headaches.

:logo:

The next time you see a DirecTV van out and about, ask the guy driving if he does any side jobs. All the installers are contractors so you should be able to ask him to do it for you. You'll only have to pay a max of $50 to get it done.

When I first moved into my new house, I paid a guy $100 to fish wires to 3 different DVRs and install a new multiswitch which he gave me for free.

The next time you see a DirecTV van out and about, ask the guy driving if he does any side jobs. All the installers are contractors so you should be able to ask him to do it for you. You'll only have to pay a max of $50 to get it done.

When I first moved into my new house, I paid a guy $100 to fish wires to 3 different DVRs and install a new multiswitch which he gave me for free.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that option....;) :logo:

Archived