Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl's Rules/penalties In Need Of Change

red21skins

Does Denver make it to the Super Bowl?  

1. 1. Does Denver make it to the Super Bowl?

• Yes
    • No

Now our season is over, I cant help but to look at the flaws in the rule book, which unfortunately, play a significant role in determining the outcome of a game. Here is my list of rules that have to either be enforced, modified, or taken out of the rule book.

1. "Tuckrule" Every Redskins/Raider fan knows all about this "rule." This makes no sense to me because it is considered an incomplete pass. The problems I have with this is its simply a fumble. It was obvious to everybody, Plummer had no intension on throwing that ball. Second reason is the "incomplete pass" was thrown behind him, so isnt by rule, a backwards pass a fumble? Also, in the plummer situation, he was still in the pocket, why wasnt this "incomplete pass" an intentional grounding?

2. Illegal Touching-on Defense. Personally, most of the time this is such a petty penalty that has nothing to do with the play. The result of committing this penalty is 5 yrds and automatic first down. No way should this be an auto first down. I can see 5yrds, replay the down, but no way should this be a 1st down.

3. Horse collar- Ive watched a lot of football this yr, never once have a seen a player actually grab the inside of the players pads. Not even the cheap shot artist himself, Roy Williams. I guess one way to actually enforce this rule is to change it to when a tackler uses the back of the jersey as the only method of making the tackle a horse collar.

4. Forced out of bounds- Again, going back to the Denver game this call killed us again. I like how in college you are allowed to push the receiver out before he gets his feet in. I understand the NFL has a different view on this but it should be challengable. Somehow in the Denver game, i believe 3rd down, reffs called Rod Smith was forced out. When they replayed this, it was obvious he was not pushed out. This play needs to be reviewable. If it were, they would have seen Smith was not pushed out, therefore, no catch. Skins victory.

5. The NFL has make sure refs let a fumble play out if there is ANY uncertainty. Refs are too quick on blowing the wistle and calling the play dead. This is an easy one, if there is ANY doubt, let the play go. Then challenge the play. It is such a huge turn in events when there is actually a fumble but a backjudge who doesnt get a good view on the play calls the play down.

5. The NFL has make sure refs let a fumble play out if there is ANY uncertainty. Refs are too quick on blowing the wistle and calling the play dead. This is an easy one, if there is ANY doubt, let the play go. Then challenge the play. It is such a huge turn in events when there is actually a fumble but a backjudge who doesnt get a good view on the play calls the play down.

I agree with you on this one to some extent but there aren't enough challenges for the refs to do this. If they did that there would be a lot of late fumble calls that would not be able to be reviewed and would be a lot of non-turnovers that would be turnovers.

I agree with you on this one to some extent but there aren't enough challenges for the refs to do this. If they did that there would be a lot of late fumble calls that would not be able to be reviewed and would be a lot of non-turnovers that would be turnovers.

If the call is obvious they should blow it dead. What bothers me is a judge away from the ball will blow the play dead, while the ref thats right on it and had a clear view of the play lets it go. I know its a split second decision, but basically i think if the ref isnt 100% the ball was down he should just let it play out.

Had a similar idea and put it in the tailgate, got a reply that it would fit here better so he is my ideas

Rules I would like to see changed (or have explained better). If I am totally bass ackwards please enlighten me. I know none of this will make a darn bit of difference but I want to know if anyone agrees and what other rules could use some tweaking.

Offsetting penalties = replay down - This ends up penalizing one team. Let’s say team on defense has illegal contact past 5 yards and offensive holding occurs. The play results in a touchdown or a turnover. The penalties cause the play to be replayed. One of the teams gets penalized, either offense losses the TD or defense losses the TO. I think it would be better to say the penalties offset one another so the play stands.

Offensive PI – The team that was on defense should get the ball at the spot of the foul. This may seem excessive but think about PI calls. Defensive PI is a spot foul on the premise that the receiver would have caught the ball at the spot of the foul. It would seem to reason that the same could be said for offensive PI.

The whole “what makes a catch” needs to be simplified. – A catch should be when the receiver gains control of the ball. This whole business of “makes a football move” (whatever that is) is kind of for the birds. If the receiver is going out of bounds all they have to do is get a toe down but in the center of the field they have to “make a football move”. If it is in the center of the field the ground can’t cause a fumble but in the end zone it can create a non-catch. (Just for the record in our playoff game the Tampa player never gained control).

When is a fumble not a fumble? – When it is a forward pass. This may be harder to simplify but the whole tuck rule/hand moving forward thing is screwy. I don’t like the whole idea of the refs having to decide it the QB was trying to throw or tuck. I also don’t like when the QB’s arm moves forward sending the ball 10 yards down field and the refs call it a fumble claiming he started to lose control before the pass. Need some help with this one. Maybe if it passes the line of scrimmage it is an incomplete pass, if not a fumble?

Penalties close to the goal line means half the distance – BS put it on the one. This can cause an unfair situation (it did in the Indy game). One team has the ball 1st and goal on the 6. Defense gets a 15 yard penalty, ball only moves 3 yards to the 3. Offense is off sides (5 yard penalty) ball moves to the 8. Other options may be ALL penalties are halved or keep track of “unused” penalty yardage. (In the example I gave the defense still “owes” 12 yards so the off sides would not move the ball) The “unused” yardage would be wiped out with a score or a turnover (NO BANKING THE YARDS)

A rule that I would like to see reviewed is the overtime format. I would like to see the sudden death format eliminated and introduce a format that would allow each of the teams to have the ball on offense for at least one series. I know that currently the team that wins the coin toss only goes on to win the game slightly less than 60 percent of the time but I don’t like the fact that the toss of a coin could have any impact on the outcome of a game. I like the outcome of any game to be determined solely by the play on the field. I’m not sure of the particulars of the new format but it would have to be relatively quick as any successful revision would depend a lot on TV time.

I thought the Tampa player had control by the college rules. I watched it several times and that's a touchdown by the college rules.

I don't see why there's a double standard for rushing touchdowns and passing touchdowns in terms of control of the football. The Stephen Davis so-called touchdown against the Skins a few years ago was a joke. Not only did he not cross the line, but he fumbled the ball too.

The worst rule is referees guessing if a ball crosses the goal line when no clear evidence shows him doing so. They should not make any call until they see the replay or if they do make a call, the replay must be given greater weight if it contradicts their call.

Every call is subject to error, therefore every call should be challengeable.

The tuck rule sucks. Losing control of the ball after deciding not to pass is pure an simple a fumble and it should be ruled as such.

A 5 yard penalty should not offset a 15 yard penalty. In these instances, the difference should be assessed.

Taunting penalties should be abolished. Football is a tough sport and if you can't handle a little taunting, maybe you should take up golf.

Instant reply should be available with audio so officials can determine if a play was blown dead prematurely in cases where a fumble occured, but was not ruled as such because of the play being blown dead.

Also, teams should be alloud to accept multiple penalties on the same play. This just happened in the Denver-Pitt game. When there is one penalty, players can intentionally commit personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc., and these penalties will have to be declined because by rule, you can only accept one penalty per play.

Archived