Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How will the Redskins cap impact roster size during pre season?

BringEmBacktoDC

This is not a why are we being cap penalized thread, but a mechanics thread.

I know that the team roster needs to be at 53 players by final cuts. My question is how do the cap mechanics work during the draft and pre season? Right now the Redskins are somewhere around 1.2M under the cap. The Redskins will need to free up a bit more money simply to draft players next month and remain under the cap. As the roster grows above 53 as it is allowed to, how does that impact the cap? Are players under the larger roster who are there fighting for a 53 man spot also under the cap or are they treated differently? In other words, the close to 50 other guys who are competing for various rolls but will most likely not make the final roster, how are their pre season salaries calculated and do the Redskins have to account for them under the cap?

The reason I am asking is that I was wondering if the Redskins will even benefit from having an expanded preseason roster or if we can't even afford that for the spring and summer training.

I realize this is a basic question and I should probably know it, but I checked the archives and could not find anything except cut numbers.

Archived