Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Mentality

RyansRangers

I was thinking about our 2004 and 2005 defense and the kind of passion they played with and it all came from Greg Williams.

The first practice that GW had as the skins DC he sent an 11 man blitz to prove his point and to set the tone of the defense. We have gotten so far away from that tone this year. While our scheme worked against detroit and Packers to an exent the defense has lost that killer instinct IMO due to play calling.

Blitzing does more than cause havok it can set a tone for the defense even if it is only once in a while.

It does. But I think what Williams is doing is trying to give this team the best chance to win. If the offense was pulling it's weight, then you might see the more aggresive game from Williams. If the blitz doesn't work and we give up the score, then what? Our offense hasn't proven that it can get those points back. So instead of blitzing, he keeps the game in front of him and he tries to manage the game from the defensive side. :2cents:

It does. But I think what Williams is doing is trying to give this team the best chance to win. If the offense was pulling it's weight, then you might see the more aggresive game from Williams. If the blitz doesn't work and we give up the score, then what? Our offense hasn't proven that it can get those points back. So instead of blitzing, he keeps the game in front of him and he tries to manage the game from the defensive side. :2cents:

I agree with you however, since our offense has proven nothing it seems we are keeping our D on the field for long time allowing the 5 yard gains that keep drives going for 15 minutes

I agree with you however, since our offense has proven nothing it seems we are keeping our D on the field for long time allowing the 5 yard gains that keep drives going for 15 minutes

Archived