Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we get extra picks for loosing Pierce and Smoot in FA?

brandies

It's supposedly based on quality of UFAs signed versus quality of UFAs who left. We signed Rabach, Patten and Holdman (am I forgetting anyone?) and lost Pierce and Smoot. Sounds like we lost more than we got. I would guess we'll get a pick or two in return, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

They lost Smoot and Pierce and gained Rabach and Patten so they'll likely get one pick[perhaps a 5th or 6th] because the players they lost were better than the players they gained. It's mandated in the CBA that about 35 picks at the ends of rds 3 to 7 are given to teams that lost more FA's than they gained and often teams are given a pick if they gained/lost the same amount if the players lost were better[usually higher paid] than the ones they signed.

It's supposedly based on quality of UFAs signed versus quality of UFAs who left. We signed Rabach, Patten and Holdman (am I forgetting anyone?) and lost Pierce and Smoot. Sounds like we lost more than we got. I would guess we'll get a pick or two in return, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

we also let go of chad morton and mccants

They lost Smoot and Pierce and gained Rabach and Patten so they'll likely get one pick[perhaps a 5th or 6th] because the players they lost were better than the players they gained. It's mandated in the CBA that about 35 picks at the ends of rds 3 to 7 are given to teams that lost more FA's than they gained and often teams are given a pick if they gained/lost the same amount if the players lost were better[usually higher paid] than the ones they signed.

Thanks for the input. Maybe good depth on OL with that pick along with our own.

If my memory serves me correctly the NFL uses a complex formula to determine who gets compensatory picks and where they land. An editor from Ourlads.com told me a few years back it is very difficult to determine compensatory picks before they are announced because of the process.

A process that somehow evaluates the players value to the team and the value the team gained in replacing that player through free agency. The loss of Smoot and Pierce were two of the more significant losses last season. However, I would only expect one 7th rd compensatory pick at best for the losses. Anything else would be gravy.

Archived