Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some thoughts on the Redskins coaching search (kind of long)

edhunter

I am a long time Skins fan who rarely posts here but I scan some threads, for what its worth here are my opinions of what has happened.

Before the tragedy occured midseason this board was screaming for a total change in direction for this team. Most of the board wanted Gibbs and company to go - I did I am not afraid to admit it, the Bills game was the last straw over the 4 years of Gibbs 2.0 the team lost games they should not have and made the playoffs based on a 5 game run and a 4 game run - predictibly they got bounced out early. What changed from the middle of the season to after they lost to the Seahawks to change minds? The only reason I wanted another season of Gibbs and company was for Jason Campbell to have another year in the same offence - it did not matter to me whose offence I just wanted to see him in an offence that he knew.

Lets look at the coaching search:

Cowher - NO!! I dont want a coach who the only reason he came here is the response well for 8 million bucks I will do it.

Greg Williams - see above - half way through the season most folks wanted the group gone. He would have been an interesting choice as I think he would have done well but after Gibbs left I think it is good he did not get the job.

Spags - look at his resume - 8 years as a position coach and 1 year as a defensive coordinator - just because he is the HOT guy doesnt mean he is the right choice. I am glad he took his name out of the mix.

Mora - He moved from Atlanta in 2006 to Seattle in 2007 with his family in January 2008 he is going to move back to the East Coast? Would you do it to your family? I would be hard pressed to do so. Once again I am glad he is out of the mix.

Meeks - 6 years as defensive coordinator for the Colts - stability - won a championship and has gotten to the playoffs often. By all accounts he is still in the mix.

Mooch - success with the 49ers - no success with the Lions - look no one wins with the Lions so take that out. He is a good choice as well - he has worked with a majority of the staff. By all accounts he is still in the mix but has only met once with Snyder.

Fassel - He went to the Super Bowl in 2000 with the Giants and has HC experience. He is familiar with the NFC East and he is still in the mix.

From the beginning everyone said this was Williams job - it was not - Snyder for all of his faults is having a comprehensive search which is what the NFL wants from all of its teams. The other fans that are laughing at us - so what if the Redskins win over the next several seasons who will be laughing then?

Who do I want to coach the Redskins? The one that will get the team with the way it is built to to the playoffs and then win once in the playoffs - I dont care who the coach is if it Fassel and he wins here GREAT if it is Mooch and he doesnt win here then that SUCKS! Reading what information we know it looks like an offensive coach will be the hire.

This is just my :2cents: take for what that. I am not employed by the Redskins and this might be the most I have ever written on the Internet in one post EVER!

HTTR

Archived