Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kornheiser:What We've Got Here Is A Failure to Communicate

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/22/AR2005052200928.html

What We've Got Here Is A Failure to Communicate

By Tony Kornheiser

Monday, May 23, 2005; Page D01

I wonder what Joe Gibbs is thinking when he can't get Sean Taylor to return his calls. I wonder if Gibbs is thinking, "Is this what I came back for?"

I wonder what Sean Taylor is thinking when he doesn't return Gibbs's calls. Maybe the message got garbled. Maybe Taylor thinks it's not really Joe Gibbs. Maybe he thinks it's "MTV Cribs." Or maybe he thinks it's Tony Roma's: Famous for Ribs. Or maybe Taylor never picks up his phone messages. Or maybe Taylor is just a dope.

PH2005052201137.jpg

Ring, ring. Please leave a message. Redskins safety Sean Taylor, above, isn't returning Joe Gibbs's calls, leaving Gibbs, below, to wonder what Taylor must be thinking.

I wonder what Gibbs is thinking when he hears Taylor's personal spokesman, Mr. Clinton Portis, say something like: "Sean has had the spotlight on him all year. Sean just needs to chill."

So Sean can't return phone calls from a Hall Of Fame coach?

Chilling means no calls?

"I'm sorry. Mr. Taylor is chilling now. Why don't you try back in the fall?"

I wonder how long I would last at this newspaper if I didn't return calls from Len Downie, the executive editor? Whaddya think, five minutes?

How well would it go over if I had Wilbon explain, "Everybody wants something from Tony right now, and he just needs to chill."?

I wonder if Gibbs ever thinks to himself, "Do I really need these Miami guys?"

The last time I looked, if the guy's your boss, you return his call.

You don't blow him off like a telemarketer. Personally, I don't know about this "spotlight" on Sean Taylor thing. I'm not that familiar with what Sean Taylor looks like, because most of the time I see him he's wearing a football helmet. I don't think Sean Taylor has anywhere near the "spotlight factor" in Washington as, say, Ted Kennedy. Me, I couldn't tell Sean Taylor from Elizabeth Taylor, especially if both of them had on white diamond earrings. I think it's possible Sean Taylor overrates his importance to our lives.

But I wonder about the University of Miami players -- the guys from the place they proudly call "the U." They don't seem to be happy where they are. Portis was terribly unhappy with Gibbs's offense last season. Taylor is unhappy here now. Edgerrin James is threatening not to report to the Colts. Jeremy Shockey wasn't happy working out in New York with the Giants, the team that pays him. So he left and went back to Miami to work out with "the U" guys. Look at Kellen Winslow Jr., a U guy who so famously said he'd make the Redskins regret not drafting him. Winslow's contract specifically forbids him from riding a motorcycle. But he rode one anyway, wrecked it, and now he's out for the whole season.

The U guys are an island unto themselves. They appear to value each other more than they value the teams they play for. They play very well on Sundays. But they don't appear to be particularly responsive to their teams on other days. It's almost like U guys enjoy getting into scrapes with management. It's almost like a contest to see if they can force the teams into subservience and publicly punk them. I wonder how long it'll take Santana Moss to find something wrong here.

You can't talk about players from the U without mentioning Drew Rosenhaus, who's the agent for many of them (and famous wannabe holdout Terrell Owens). Rosenhaus seems to believe that no contract signed before he got there has any validity -- and that any contract signed with him can be renegotiated upward at any time, like, say, this afternoon at 4.

It's not just U guys, of course. There's a lot of runaway egomaniacal posing and flexing going on in all sports by lots of players. Look at Barry Bonds, unassailably one of the greatest players in the history of baseball. Nobody should question Bonds's right to his own doctor. (Though one might question the results so far of these operations with Dr. Ting.) But I've heard that Bonds has so little communication with the San Francisco Giants that they, too, like reporters, have to learn of Bonds's condition by reading his Web site. It makes you wonder how awful Bonds's life must have been before the Internet, when he actually had to talk to someone.

I wonder when it became unfashionable to be like Grant Hill, and just play the game and not call attention to yourself after every basket by pointing upwards. (I'm never sure if they're acknowledging a supreme being or their agent in a luxury suite.) I wonder if we'll ever see a Reggie Miller again, a great player with loyalty to the franchise and the city that treated him well? Other than great quarterbacks, it's now rare when someone stays with one team for his whole career. Maybe Allen Iverson will with the Sixers. Maybe Derek Jeter will with the Yankees.

I'm wondering what will happen with Afleet Alex now. He overcame obvious adversity to win the Preakness -- he almost broke both forelegs pitching forward and almost flipped his rider. And yet Afleet Alex did not flex afterwards! Or try to renegotiate for more oats.

Afleet Alex finished third in the Kentucky Derby, so he's been in the money in both Triple Crown races. (So has Giacomo, by the way, the horse most "experts" predicted would run so slowly in the Preakness that he might finish behind Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.) I think you can look for Afleet Alex to stop returning calls from his trainer and to have his spokesman, Giacomo, say, "Alex has had the spotlight on him all weekend. He's skipping the Belmont. He needs to chill."

I am a Redskins fan. I want to see the Redskins win more than anything else. Sean Taylor would definitely help us to reach that goal. However, I am not a Sean Taylor fan. Having Taylor would help, but is he by no means the most critical piece of the puzzle. Just keep messing with papa Gibbs Sean and you are going to find yourself so deep in the doghouse you will never see the light of day in Washington. In all honestly, I am really rooting for someone in the defensive backfield to have an absolutely outstanding training camp catapulting themself into crybaby Taylor's position and then we can forget about this spoiled little cancer that is rotting on the Redskins roster. If Taylor grows up and returns to honor his contract then I am all for it. If not, hit the road #21 because you are not wanted here.

Taylor has alot of growing up to do...He is if I'm not mistaken just 22 and obviously hasnt grasped the meaning of "Professionalism", he will take time to mature and whatever the reasons for him not being in Washington right now he is hurting himself and not the team at this point...

I dont think we should worry until/if he misses any of the mandatory camps...

Originally posted by jtyler42

Taylor has alot of growing up to do...He is if I'm not mistaken just 22 and obviously hasnt grasped the meaning of "Professionalism", he will take time to mature and whatever the reasons for him not being in Washington right now he is hurting himself and not the team at this point...

It's not entirely about missing the optional camps. It's about not returning Gibbs's calls.

You just don't do that. You don't do that to the guy who drafted you, a Hall of Fame coach and who put up with your crap your rookie year. Gibbs has shown infinite patience with this kid and he can't pick up a phone and return a call? It's a sign of sheer disrespect, it sends a message to the rest of the players, makes Gibbs look like an idiot coach who doesn't have the respect of his team and shows where his true loyalty lies (The "U").

Originally posted by jtyler42

..He is if I'm not mistaken just 22 and obviously hasnt grasped the meaning of "Professionalism", he will take time to mature

OK, let's hope he takes less time to mature than, say, Barry Bonds or Dennis Rodman.

As for worrying, I start to worry as soon as I hear that a player won't return Joe Gibbs phone calls. That kind of thing, I think, can have a cancerous effect on a team.

Or do I just enjoy worrying? :)

Must be a slow news day, if it took this long for him to comment on this.

No arguing that this is bad form on Sean's part, but it shouldn't be too surprising that Sean is being isolationist here a bit. It is pretty obvious that Sean didn't quite feel comfortable here. Things happened, some his fault, some not his fault. Nothing earthshattering, but to him, something that made him uneasy. Considering it is the first time he's lived outside the state of Florida, it can be understandable.

Now, does that mean it is cool that he hasn't called Gibbs back? Not at all. It is a sign of immaturity that over the long term, shouldn't be tollerated. At the same time, I don't think Gibbs is losing any sleep over it. He'd like him to be here, and it is important to Sean's career that he be here, but that in itself isn't something to worry about.

Jason

another idiot writer who has no knowledge of Miami football. Yes every Hurricane is a loudmouth cancer who stays in Coral Gables for the offseason. Thats why DJ Williams has participated in 100 percent of the Broncos workouts in Dove Valley, Colorado and has never been in the news for something he "said". Thats why Andre Johnson is quietly at work in Houston, Texas everyday.

Why dont you get educated you ignorant fool before speaking about the "U". I am sick and tired of ignorant and idiotic waste of skin reporters talking about Miami football when they dont know jack **** about the program. Sit down and shut up.

Originally posted by TheLongshot

Must be a slow news day, if it took this long for him to comment on this.

No arguing that this is bad form on Sean's part, but it shouldn't be too surprising that Sean is being isolationist here a bit. It is pretty obvious that Sean didn't quite feel comfortable here. Things happened, some his fault, some not his fault. Nothing earthshattering, but to him, something that made him uneasy. Considering it is the first time he's lived outside the state of Florida, it can be understandable.

Now, does that mean it is cool that he hasn't called Gibbs back? Not at all. It is a sign of immaturity that over the long term, shouldn't be tollerated. At the same time, I don't think Gibbs is losing any sleep over it. He'd like him to be here, and it is important to Sean's career that he be here, but that in itself isn't something to worry about.

Jason

Here's the funny thing about isolationism though. All he has to do is return the phone call and Kornheiser has nothing to write about. Show up to camp and there aren't any stories about him, period.

Originally posted by SoCalBronco

another idiot writer who has no knowledge of Miami football. Yes every Hurricane is a loudmouth cancer who stays in Coral Gables for the offseason. Thats why DJ Williams has participated in 100 percent of the Broncos workouts in Dove Valley, Colorado and has never been in the news for something he "said". Thats why Andre Johnson is quietly at work in Houston, Texas everyday.

Why dont you get educated you ignorant fool before speaking about the "U". I am sick and tired of ignorant and idiotic waste of skin reporters talking about Miami football when they dont know jack **** about the program. Sit down and shut up.

I think you had better get educated before you call Tony Kornheiser an "ignorant fool" and an "idiotic waste of skin."

Do all Miami players have an attitude? No.

Are all players with an attitude from Miami? No.

Looking at it objectively, does there still appear to be a relationship between the two? A lot of people would say yes. There's a grain of truth to every stereotype.

I had posted this on another thread and I hope none of you think it's out of line to re-post it. I added some things that I have thought about since I first wrote it.

It all comes down to respect. It's been reported in just about every major sporting news service about Taylor's lack of communication with Coach Gibbs. And unless he's been living under a rock, he has to be aware of that.You want to work out in Miami? Fine. You want to skip OTA's? Fine again.

But when you read major sportswriters are reporting that you are disrespecting your Coach. Call him. Plain and simple. Maybe just to say that while you aren't choosing to be very available this offseason, you mean no disrepect to the Coach. Or contact any major sportswriter and tell them. Or have your agent say that while Taylor does have some issues with the team he in no way means to show any disrespect to Coach Gibbs.

You could even say that while you might have issues with GM Gibbs, you still have nothing but respect for COACH Gibbs. Call Coach Williams. I don't care who you tell it to or how you do it. This is something that needs to be done.

I do wonder how much of this is Rosenhaus. We see how other clients of his are behaving. And unless Taylor isn't talking to him, he should have some type of statement. At least more than "no comment". Part of being an agent, the last time I checked, is also making sure that your client is perceived in the best light. Be it professionally or publicly. He might be the best agent for holding up teams for more money. But in other respects? Putting it bluntly, he sucks.

Endorsement deals can be very lucrative. Think anyone is thinking that they want this guy endorsing they're products right now? He could be cutting off his nose to spite his face. But that really wouldn't surprise me. It seems to be the "modus operandi" for the modern athlete.

How many examples of ultra-talented headcases are we going to see? Last time I checked, it's TEAMS that win the Bowls. No single player has ever won one. It's when a group of individuals function together as a TEAM. Have you ever noticed that the teams with these whackjobs always seem to come up a little short? And then the fingerpointing starts. I didn't get the ball enough! I didn't get tired! Wah! Wah!! WAH!!!

And the TEAM on the other side is getting a Lombardi Trophy. Saying: WE played our hearts out! WE all made plays! I'm proud to be a part of this TEAM!!

I think the world of Joe Gibbs. As person and as our Coach. And I am sure that any of you, who have ever gotten to meet or be around him for any length of time, would attest to what a genuinely good person he is. Not because of what he does,but because thats the kind of MAN he is.

Thats what is making me so mad. I feel like he is now deliberately insulting our Coach. I don't feel the other players on the team should tolerate it either. I hope Jansen, Brown, or one of the leaders on this team let him know that, in no uncertain terms. Bounce him off a locker, Literally try and smack some sense and manners into this kid. At this point I don't care.But be sure that everyone stands together and lets him know. Your either part of this team, or your not. You disrepect our Coach, you are disrespecting all of us, because we are a team. You disrespect one of us, you disrespect the REDSKINS!!

Bottom Line: You wanna be the Man? Then BE A MAN!! Or even better, try being a REDSKIN!!!

Hail :logo:

P.S. Tony pretty much hit the nail on the head.

chuckflhp,

I think you are over looking a vitally important part of this equation... most if not all of the players currently on the Skins roster do not know Joe Gibbs...unlike Bill Parcells who chose to surround himself with former players and have them set the tone in camp and elsewhere...Gibbs had no such luxury and thus is starting from scratch...so I doubt you can expect the players to set the tone for Gibbs and rattle a few lockers...I think this could potentially be where Joe either gains full control of this team or loses it...I think Joe Gibbs is a fine Coach and Person...but age does have a tendency to mellow most of us out so it should be interesting to watch as this progress's

Go Cowboys

Zaxor

The lesson I learned long ago was to root for the team, not the player.

Sean Taylor's real problem is that he lied to Joe Gibbs (saying he'd show up for voluntary practices.) Coach Gibbs has said that ST's actions this spring could have career implications for Sean...and I believe Coach Gibbs to be a man of his word.

And for defenders of the 'U', go soak your head. Peer pressure and group think is the operating factor there. It's probably the result of some childish oath of loyalty...too bad they missed out on a good education.

By Taylor not responding to the phone calls he is setting himself up for a track record of contract disputes all over the NFL. All teams are taking notice or will if he or the team decides to sit him or other discipline measures are taken. The longer he ignores them theharder things will get.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

I agree that ST is acting like a moron, but this guy's writing style annoys me. I found the article hard to read for some reason.

Wait, this article comes from the Washington Post. They never write any negative against the skins. Wow, Kornheiser really is becoming a rebel.:rolleyes:

Oh and Sean......get your A$$ to camp!!!!!!!

:mad:

Originally posted by warren in another thread

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1845

Jansen Makes His Return At OTAs

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

May 23, 2005

Jon Jansen missed the camaraderie most of all. He missed joking with fellow offensive linemen. He missed the acerbic tongue of assistant head coach-offense Joe Bugel, who works primarily with the offensive line. And he missed the bonding that occurs among teammates, even during practice.....

"It felt great to be part of the guys and part of the camaraderie again," Jansen said last Thursday. "You're part of the jokes. You're part of being around the guys. That's what you miss the most."

Obviously Taylor hasn't learned about comraderie, at least not with the Redskins. He needs to take lessons from Jansen.

Two things we can wage will happen from all this:

1) Just to show he isn't bigger than the Defense or the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else as the starting FS against Chicago.

2) Taylor is going to have Hell to pay from his teammates on the D and Coaches when he finally shows up. They'll be merciless on him.

Nick

I don't have a major problem with Taylor not being in camp right now. Obviously, I want him to be there but that in itself is not earth shattering. What I do have a major problem with is that he doesn't bother to return his head coaches phone calls. That is a complete slap in the face to Coach Gibbs, the Redskins orginazation, and the entire fan base of the Washington Redskins.

let's see

1) U guys stick together precisely because of the bonding and team culture that others want to happen for the Skins. Right or wrong - it's the same value system in play.

2) There is no business behind all of this! Nope, professional football for guys like Jansen is about the locker room and best buddy hi jinx!....after the threatened hold out for a pay increase is completed, of course. Who the F are these guys kidding? They know the score (they're one injury away and are expendable/replaceable parts) - whether it's Lavar or Jansen, they will make sure their families and futures are attended to FIRST....then comes team and all the really cool stuff that makes Pop Warner football such a culturally enhancing/uplifting experience!

I fully appreciate the fan centric pov advanced here. But players aren't fans. They are the hired help in a business. A business that generates a boatload of revenue. A business that has a high incident rate of injury. A business in which longevity is not a permanent feature. They know this. Their pilot fish agents know this. The cap exacerbates it all.

If anything, while we may disagree with what ST is doing, he is doing it the right way in the sense of trying to keep it out of the media.

funny how so many want to run with what an "on the sidelines", uninformed writer like Tony K has to say. Afterall, he can't possibly know what the FO and the coaches are thinking....right?

let it play out. this is part of the process worsened by the fact that we have a very young guy who has not figured out what his pov is yet. yes, it has to be stopped at a certain point. but, bear in mind, you lose ST and the team is hurt also....big time.

This year will get off to a bad start for him again. All of the press will want to know why he didn't return the Redskins phone calls. All of the press will want to know why he didn't work out at Redskins Park. He is just not doing himself any favors. I guess we can look at Winslow's situation and say the Redskins picked the right guy (we did get almost a full season of play out of him....and at a bargain according to KW Part I). For the money they pay these guys, one week a month in the off-season should be mandatory.

I think when he does show up to camp and its full contact time, an offensive lineman or two who love gibbs should take a few plays and make it thier purpose to just take some hard clean shots at him. Just knock the stuffing out of him.

Then when he's getting up ready to fight whisper you need to return some calls.

Let the players handle it on the field.

HOF44

Bob

Originally posted by SoCalBronco

"The U" has more then it's fair share of problem children and a few exceptions to the rule won't stop people from picking up on this fact. Also Kornheiser is not a skins reporter. :doh:

It's getting pathetic around here how every thread has to include some one griping about the media.

Archived