Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Crabs in Town

semiskin

Well guys I'm going to be in town on Monday for a few hours and I've been dying for some crabs.

I'll be flying into Dulles and will be able to go to most parts of NOVA, DC, and suburban Maryland (Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersberg). Where do my extremeskins brethren go for these delectable little creatures?

Originally posted by Mickalino

Whatever happened to Chesapeak Bay Seafood House in the DC area ?

Did they close all them down ?

I used to love that place for AYCE Snow Crabs

I used to go to the one in Waldorf(I think) like 15 years ago . Man that was great.

Bethesda crab house has all you can eat blue crabs for $25 bucks, but you have to make an appointment a couple day to a week in advance... If you are in the mood for crabs, that is the place to go, or to baltimore or annapolis where you can find tons of places...

I'm wondering the same thing. Rt5 Branch Ave. was a place I went to. My sister moved back about 6 months ago, said she can't find one anywhere?

What gives?

That's a blast from the past...

I used to eat at the one in Fairfax....don't know when it closed down though.

Nothing is better than a steamed w/Old Bay blue crab and corona

If you are looking to go someplace and sit down to pick them, Harris's Crab House has the best crabs around. They are just on the other side of the Bay Bridge. If you want to pick them at your place, swing by Kent Island Crab co. in Pasadena for the best XL crabs you can get. If you want crabcakes, try out either Hella's, Timbuktu's, or G&M's. Another good place for crabs in the Baltimore area is Gunnings.

Originally posted by richard saunders

Capt. Pells/Fairfax if your wanting a restaurant...

Though I recommend going downtown to the Wharf to buy and pick your own. Cheaper and better.

I grew up with Mr. Pell's 6 son's. Mr. Pell was a great guy who raised 7 terrific kids.

Originally posted by richard saunders

What's a trout line?

I've done the silly chicken on a string thing.

I think it's called a trotline. Maybe he was just putting an accent into it. The chicken on a string from the dock is aptly called "chicken neckin'."

Don't people in Texas eat their crabs cold?

We had some last weekend in Betterton, MD. I don't eat them (vultures of the sea), but everybody said it was so early, they were still light.

Cheasapeake Bay Seafood House was great. AYCE King Crab Legs, softshell crabs, scallops, shrimp. Their cod was excellent too. Talk about a FEAST.

Best crab cakes I ever ate was at the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford Maryland. They use only lump backfin, and use 30 crabs per cake.

To the original question, Captain Pell's in Fairfax is a good place to pick em at a restaurant. but you can go to Maine Avenue waterfront and they'll steam the up for you to take home too.

"What's a trout line?"

It is actually trotline. You take a long rope, we did 1000', and tie a bait every 3'. We've used chicken wings, bulls lips and eels. The eels work the best. Then you tie each end to cinderblocks and from each cinderblock you attach a line that has a bouy on the other end. We used plastic jugs. Then you throw one end over and motor slowy while letting out the rest of the line. When it's all paid out, drop the last cinderblock over. Now you have 1000' of baited line stretched between two cinderblocks.

fAfter it sits on the bottom for a while, you start at one end. Pick up the cinderblock and pull the line up. It is then dropped over a rotating wheel hanging over the side of the boat and the block is dropped back down. You slowly motor along and the line comes up over the wheel and back down again. As the baits come up you net the crabs and drop them into a crab basket.

If you get into them good, and a crab is coming up on every bait it gets very hectic. They come up so quick and your trying to net them, drop them in the basket and get the next one. Many crab end up running around the boat. It gets quite exciting.

trot1.gif

Archived