Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's History 101: Legends of Lore - Billy Kilmer

Tarhog

Tarhog & TK, you guys keep raising the bar with each new installement ... which isn't an altogether inappropriate cliche to use in this case, considering the subject matter. Kidding, Billy. Salud. :)

I'd not be surprised one bit if one day soon we don't hear from some of the older players about these pieces. I suspect, after the playing days are over, that having one's name and accomplishments remembered to the next generation in such a positive manner is something that would be very much appreciated.

Here's to keeping that torch lit.

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

I believe David Elfin worked for the formely known Washington Star. The Washington Times came around in the 80's I believe.

The article I took that anecdote from was definitely the Washington Times :)

I can remember arguing with my buddies over the "I Like Billy" and "I Like Sonny" bumperstickers. My older sister had "I Like Sonny" on her car and my neighbor had "I Like Billy" on his. We took paper and scotch tape and covered up the "Billy" and wrote "Sonny" on his sticker. He didn't notice it for two weeks.

I was always supportive of Kilmer except for those 18 games he "lost". :silly: That was a remarkable won-lost record he had with the Skins. After Sonny retired, I became a big Billy fan and still have an autographed picture of him from the early 70's. It's funny how many of us took his toughness for granted because back then, that was what football players did. They came out of the hospital and played the next day and won games. They bled and got stiched up and went back to work. They played on bad ankles and knees and with broken fingers and hands. With a few exceptions, players just don't seem to be that dedicated or care as much nowadays. :(

Thanks for the great read guys. :notworthy

I loved seeing the videos of Billy throwing the 2 TD passes to Charley Taylor. It just goes to show what a great receiver Charley Taylor was, because if he could catch those ugly looking passes of Kilmer's, he could catch anything. :laugh:

Billy and Sonny really hated Theismann. I remember the quote from Sonny when he was talking to Billy and said "I don't care which one of us start as long as he doesn't" referring to Theismann. Billy was tough as nails. I feel blessed that I got to see him play although for a short time. Thanks again guys! It brought back great memories! :notworthy

Great read guys !! . A job well done on the story. It goes to show you how much the players of yesterday enjoyed just playing the game and no matter the sacrifices they had to endure.

Watching the "OVER THE HILL GANG" were some of my best memories as a child.. Keep up the good work ! Any ideas on the next installment ? if you need material or photo's for the next story let me know. I would be glad to help !!

"HAIL TO THE REDSKINS"

Definitely awesome for us so called 'younguns'. I cant wait for the next one now. The collection of videos is also just as awesome! Seems like this site will soon become THE source for redskins history! Who's next?

Billy was the first football player I considered an Idol of mine. I typically use some version of his name on net message boards because of this fact.

I love watching highlights of those teams, mostly because I was to young to appreciate them when I watched live.

I also think Billy has been nothing short of a class act since retirement and I will always be a fan.

My father took me to a Bullets game somewhere around the mid 1970s. While walking the concourse level at halftime, we ran into Billy and Sonny. Sonny rolled his eyes and stomped away grumpily. Billy Kilmer picked me up and joked around with us, gave me an autograph and thanked us for our support. After that day, my dad never made fun of Kilmer's spiral again. :)

Guys , thanks for the ALL the kind words. You all have no friggin idea how long it took to get this one done. We wanted to have it up sometime in the last week or two, but scheduling conflicts kept gettting in the way. If it wasn't one of us, it was the other that had something coming up. Man, I'm just glad it finally got up. Tarhog pulled out a ton of clips for this one. :)

We've got a direction for the next one, with a possible twist to it.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

What?

No comment on the cross linking to the databases?

;)

I like it. As Om said, I think it's the best one yet.

I find it hard to believe you guys think you can top this one :) You've just about covered all the bases.

But I'm eagerly awaiting.

Dictionary.com

Lore (1)

1 Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject. See Synonyms at knowledge.

2 Knowledge acquired through education or experience.

3 Archaic. Material taught or learned.

Lore (2)

The space between the eye and the base of the bill of a bird or between the eye and nostril of a snake.

Lore(3)

knowledge gained through tradition or anecdote; "early peoples passed on plant and animal lore through legend" [syn: traditional knowledge]

Dictionary.com

Yore (1)

Time long past: days of yore.

Yore (2)

the time that has elapsed; "forget the past" [syn: past, past times, yesteryear] [ant: future]

With everything we gather up to put these together, I think 'Lore' works fine for me.

Archived