Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First memories of being a Redskins Fan

fuji869

Since the final mini camp has broken and we have 5 weeks until training camp it would be cool to hear how we became fans of the Burgundy and Gold. Was it because you grew up in the D.C. Metro Area or was it because you saw them on T.V. as a kid and have been a fan ever since.

For me, my father got stationed back in Washington, D.C. in 1975 after his tour Korea. I was 3 at the time and have vague memories of him watching the Redskins on Sunday Afternoons. I have an early memory of watching a Redskins / Cowboy game at Texas Stadium and seeing the Chief and the Cowboys Mascot go at it when the Cameras were on them. When I started Annandale Terrace Elementary in 1976 I remember wearing a Redskins Letterman's style Jacket to school. That is how I can remember it starting for me.

Since then it has turned into a love affair as I have remained a Redskins Fan as my father got stationed in Japan, and as I have moved all over the United States.

I was bread to bleed Burgundy and Gold. I was lucky enough to be born into a Redskins family. I was born January 6th, 1983, 3 weeks before the Redskins won Super Bowl 17. My parents took me to a huge family Super Bowl party and place me in front of the TV to watch the game. I unconciously watched the Redskins win their first Super Bowl. I can honestly say I have been a Redskins fan since I was three weeks old. Since then, I have never missed a game.

My very first memories where that of my mom yelling at our little 10" black & white TV. I would hear her yell obscenities at some "Pardee" guy. She would throw things at the TV. How she felt was dependent of how well the Redskins were performing. On Sundays in the fall, her life revolved around the Redskins. That's how I became a DIE-HARD-TO-THE-DEATH Redskin fan. It rubbed off on me.

So I would say that it's because of my mom and the fact that we lived in DC are the main reasons I became a Skins fan.

Football Toy flashback: I wouldn't even touch that Tudor Electric Football game unless I got to use the Redskins. I remember my boy's father bought him an Electric Football set. That set came with the Niners and the Bengals(Super Bowl XVI set). I refuse to play him. No Redskins team. So we had his dad order some Redskin electric football players from some catalog. I was all set after that. The same applied to all the video football games that was ever released back in the day. I used the 83 Redskins on Super Bowl Sunday(for the Commodore 64). I used the Redskins on NFL Challenge (an X's and O's football game for the IBM PC). To this day(of course), it's all about the Redskins. Real life, video games whatever.

My first memory took place in my Elementary school. There was this kid, a Cowboy's fan, who was bragging how the Cowboys were going to mop the floor against Washington. I told him they weren't, even though I didn't even watch football yet. He dared me to bet. I did. Didn't watch the game, but come Monday he payed up, because we won. Haven't missed a game since.

I can remember starting to watch Redskin games as a young child just around the time of their first Super Bowl appearance. Got hooked and haven't missed many games since. I remember Larry Brown being my hero in those early days. I also remember the Skins would play Kilmer for the whole game and not do anything, then put Sonny in to try to win a close game in the last few minutes ... which he often seemed to do.

I was in about 1st or 2nd grade when we won our 1st superbowl. Being born and raised in D.C. I've always been taught to root for the home team. But, I remember sitting on the bus going to school. We had a bus driving named chuck....an older guy. Anyway, we were stupid little kids and would just chant stuff to get him pissed off. Until one day we all started chanting "DALLAS SUCKS! DALLAS SUCKS!" then he'd yell at us about saying "sucks" and we'd start chanting "Chuck rules! Chuck rules!". Anyway, that's my first real memory of speak Pro-Skins.

I also remember being at a game on a Dec 7th back in the early 80's against the Bungles. It was cold as nuts. Went with my parents.

My Dad was an oficer in the Navy so we moved around somewhat when I was a child. After living in Crete for 3 years and then Sicily for three years, he ritred after 24 years in the service in Sicily. We moved back to the States when I was ten, to of all places - New Mexico. Well, with no football or major sports team here, he told me and my brother to pick a football team and that would e our teams forever. We didn't have too much to work with but what was on TV that day, not knowing alot about American football, but my brother picked the Steelers and I picked the Redskins. And so to this day, I bleed Burgundy and Gold, and my brother cries Yellow and Black. There ya have it. The right to choose, at its best. Not too exciting, but hey - it was one of the best choices I ever made!!! (at least when it comes to sports ;) )

Blue is my favorite color. I was 6 in '72 during the first Dallas game, I picked a team to root for based on the color. So I was rooting for the Cowgirls (what did I know?), my Dad got so mad at me, he threatened to turn the TV off. I asked him what I had done wrong, he told me.

By Christmas, I was rabid Redskin fan. I remember, we went on vacation that Christmas and were on the road during the championship game. Had I been a bit older, I may be writing this from jail.

My first memories of being a skin fan was in 1972. I was 6yrs old. My dad hand painted redskin players on my bedroom walls that year. I remember watching a game with him and his airforce buddies on a small B an W tv in our living room. I thought it was so cool watching these men jump up and down yell and scream and run around like kids. I also remember one of his buddies trying to fart out hail to the redskins and how mad that made my mom. The madder she got the more they laughed and carried on. I have been hooked ever since. Although I can't fart out the tune hail to the redskins, I still jump up and down and yell and scream during the games. Like father like son.:laugh:

My story is odd, born and raised in L.A., the first football game I ever saw in matter of fact was when I was seven years old I believe. the Redskins superbowl victory over the Dolphins. My father was watching the game so I just sat there also. Made a lasting impression on me. Now I can't get them out of my head.

My dad was a huge 'Skins fan, so I guess I was rasied as a fan. I was also born and raised in Fredericksburg VA, just about 45 miles outside of DC. My first memory of being a 'Skins fan was hearing my dad screaming at the TV...saying something about a horrible call...calling the refs "turkeys" Good memories.

Having been born into a Redskins family, we always spent Sunday afternoons rushing back to the house to watch Brent Musberger, Jimmy the Greek, Irv Cross and Phyllis George before the 1 o'clock game came on. For some reason, those games against the Cardinals in St. Louis really stand out as strong memories for me. I dont have any real memories of Sonny QB'ing but can remember watching Theismann gradually beat out Kilmer to start.

The first game I attended was against the Saints in 77. I remember we lost to Archie Manning and Chuck Muncie - it was heartbreaking to have had them lose my first game I saw in person. But not as heartbreaking as the loss to the Cowboys when Staubach hit Drew Pearson as time was running out. I rememer specifically having my mother fuss at me because we had to leave to attend a church function and I wasn't cooperating because the game was still on. When Pearson caught that pass in the final few seconds I was devastated.

My favorite memory to date is the Super Bowl victory over the Buffalo Bills, I've never seen a more dominating defensive performance. BIG HITS!

My son is 7 now and following my lead. I can remember when he was a baby and I would try to sing him to sleep. I didn't know any lullabies so I sang what came natural to me. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, HAIL VICTORY!

Born and raised in Northern Virginia, my Mom still has the "plether" Redskins jacket that my Father bought for me when I was 4 years old! I remember Sunday being the day for Church followed by the Redskins game. I vaguely remember watching Billy Kilmer and his end-over-end passes!

I became a rabid fan when I went away to college - rooting for the Redskins kept me grounded to my roots. After graduation I traveled working on cruise ships, all along following the Redskins. (There is a great sports bar, owned by a Redskin fan in St. Thomas!) I met my husband on a ship and to this day I think he only married me because I was the first woman he met who could call a flag faster than the guys in the booth! (He's a Packer fan but I try not to hold that against him!)

My birthday was yesterday - my husband gave me an official Darrell Green jersey. What a guy! :D

I basically became a Skins fan because I grew up in DC, but it was also somewhat due to agitating my grandfather. He lives in Oklahoma, which is Cowboys country, and whenever we went down there for christmas, if there was a cowboys game on, i'd root against them and really got into that. Course I am a sooners fan so I guess I was inconsistant :high:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

My first memory was when I was 5 years old and watching Doug Williams pass all over the Broncos. From then on all I could think was Skins football

I was nine years old and watching Larry Brown and Billy and Sonny QBing my new favorite team. I went to Washington the summer after the Superbowl and Peoples Drugs had a Record album of the seasons radio highlights. I must have played that a million times. It was tooooooo cool, it had Charlie Harraway on the cover! :D :D :D

The first memory I can think of is being a little kid at some church function and the Redskins were playing the Cowboys and I believe it was the last game of the season. Lots of men (and some of the women) were crowded into the room that had the TV in it to watch it (all Redskins fans of course- it was Arlington, VA). Funny- I can't remember who won, but the score was something like 34-31 and whoever won kept the other team from making the playoffs. I have a bad feeling that it was probably the Cowboys who had already clinched a playoff berth, but kept the 'skins out with their victory (perhaps I blocked it out), but I can't be sure if I'm just assuming that because more recent history starts to make you feel like we never beat the Cowboys.

Good thread. I was 8 years old when the Redskins lost to the undefeated Dolphins in Super Bowl VII, the first game I remember watching, having just moved to the DC area from California. When the Redskins were down 14-0, I went to my room to cry. I missed the only TD the Redskins scored off of the bungled Miami FG attempt. After the loss, I was pretty bitter for somebody who had never even watched a Redskins game before....

HTTR.

Originally posted by theposse

The first memory I can think of is being a little kid at some church function and the Redskins were playing the Cowboys and I believe it was the last game of the season. Lots of men (and some of the women) were crowded into the room that had the TV in it to watch it (all Redskins fans of course- it was Arlington, VA). Funny- I can't remember who won, but the score was something like 34-31 and whoever won kept the other team from making the playoffs. I have a bad feeling that it was probably the Cowboys who had already clinched a playoff berth, but kept the 'skins out with their victory (perhaps I blocked it out), but I can't be sure if I'm just assuming that because more recent history starts to make you feel like we never beat the Cowboys.

Posse, I'll bet you are referring to the 1979 final regular season game in which the Redskins lost to the Cowboys, 35-34. That was a heartbreaker, because the Redskins were winnng 34-21 with 3 minutes remaining and Staubach lead the Cowboys back for a win. And like you pointed out, the Redskins missed the playoffs because of that loss - despite having a 10-6 record!!!

plumbing the depths here.....as a child i lived for a spell in arlington......back in 1962-1964 timeframe i recall listening on the radio to a skins/dallas game in which sonny engineered an exciting, pass happy, come from behind victory over the boys. i was hooked and have lived and died with the skins ever since. the real clincher was the first nfc championship game in which the skins (under george allen) beat dallas. i don't think i have ever seen dc as flat out crazy about the skins as it was during those days leading up to and immediately after that first taste of greatness!

Archived