Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFC:NFL says Nolan cannot 'suit' up

denverdan

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/08/SPGDCCLVFJ1.DTL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ERS NOTEBOOK

NFL says Nolan cannot 'suit' up

Kevin Lynch

Sunday, May 8, 2005

Coach Mike Nolan recently petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear a suit on the sidelines during game days.

"To me, it's professional. I think it's respectful," Nolan said. "There was certainly no deal, no one came to me, there was nothing to gain. I wasn't trying to put the spotlight on me. But what I was trying to say, there's somebody in charge and this is what they look like."

The league turned Nolan down. Head coaches must wear the NFL-sanctioned team garb.

"There were marketing issues and sales issues, all that stuff," Nolan lamented. Beyond wanting to look the part of a man in charge, Nolan also viewed it as a tribute to his father, Dick, who was the coach of the 49ers from 1968-75.

"I must say looking at the pictures of my dad -- they are all around my office -- I thought, 'I'm going to do that.' But they are not going to let me."

Coaching the hard way: One difference from the staff of Dennis Erickson is the level of coaching involvement. Assistants are often vociferous and critical during practice.

Running backs coach Bishop Harris, for example, bellowed at his group when he didn't see the intensity he wanted during a drill.

"That's B.S.," Bishop railed. He then told his running backs he would hold them after practice to run the drill again, which he did.

"I tell the coaches if you are yelling at your guys, you are just trying to love them up," Nolan said. "Of course, you have to treat your players as individuals."

Rice out: Receiver Jerry Rice has made known his desire to return to his former team for his 20th season before retiring. Nolan reiterated that Rice could return to be a 49er, but only for a day, and then retire.

"Our focus is going to be on our young players and developing those guys, and we don't want to take anything away from those guys we've got on the roster," Nolan said. "He's been the greatest wide receiver ever. I'd feel pretty good about that if I was him."

Briefly: The 49ers have group tickets available at a discounted price. Tickets will drop from $64 a seat to $34 when a group buys 20 or more. Those interested can call 1-800-746-0764 or visit 49ers.com. ... The 49ers might sport a presidential campaign backfield if they play fullback Steve Bush and rookie halfback Frank Gore. ... CB Shawntae Spencer (hamstring) and rookie tight end Patrick Estes (knee) missed Saturday's practice. Neither injury is serious.

"Our focus is going to be on our young players and developing those guys, and we don't want to take anything away from those guys we've got on the roster," Nolan said. "He's been the greatest wide receiver ever. I'd feel pretty good about that if I was him."

I agree with Nolan on this, Rice needs to retire with some grace and stop trying to play.

It's all about the benjamins! The NFL wants to market it's clothing so they force the coaches to wear what they dictate.

It's interesting to go back and watch tapes of games from the 80's and see how differently people dressed on the sideline back then. You didn't have anyone dictating what the coach wore.

MC

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

This is as bad as Manning not being allowed to wear high-tops in tribute to Johnny U.

I don't think this is nearly as bad as that. Nolan isn't trying to pay tribute to Tom Landry. He wants to wear a suit to build an image. Due to regulations, he's not allowed.

Manning seemed to be doing something that was very genuine and a one-time thing that the league could have made an exception for. That had nothing to do with licensing or contracts...it was a policy that could have been bent.

:2cents:

Originally posted by MCnDaHouse

It's all about the benjamins! The NFL wants to market it's clothing so they force the coaches to wear what they dictate.

It's interesting to go back and watch tapes of games from the 80's and see how differently people dressed on the sideline back then. You didn't have anyone dictating what the coach wore.

MC

Some coaches also smoked on the sidelines in the 80s

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

What the F*ck??? Why can't an NFl coach wear a suit on the sidelines...Landry did a lot of great coaches did...that is crazy....

Those were days when Football was about fun and men wore suits to work. Now it's advertising money and conformity.

Nolan has tried every possible way to become a media magnet this offseason. Is he the coaching version of TO?

Give me a break. If he wanted to wear a suit so bad why didn't he at least wear a tie while he was an assistant.

What's next? Is he going to request that the NFL allow him to join in with the cheerleaders after each of the three TDs the 9ers are going to score this year?

Coaches should absolutely be allowed to wear a suit on the sideline. The League can't say that they want to curb showboating and ask athletes to act more respectably professionally, and then not allow the coaches to wear a respectable suit.

Enough with the Bilichek (sp?) "I'm gonna shovel my driveway after the game" sweatsuits, already. It just looks ridiculous. At least the coaches can still wear suits in the NBA.

Archived