Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

President and Social Security

jbooma

Well a lot of people may not like him but you have to give him credit for going after the hard issues.

Yes many don't want to think about social security, but we have too. I like the idea of personal accounts, one reason is the government won't be able to use it for when they want.

What Bush is trying to create is a government 401K retirement account, which is needed. One your money would grow more this way, you won't be dependent on social security checks the rest of your life.

I thought it was very democratic of him suggesting that the rich won't get as much, and the poor would get more benefits.

The fact is social security was great in its day, well the time has come to make it more like we know.

The most important part of his plan should cover education, most people don't completely understand investments and how they work, they need to be taught.

Originally posted by zoony

I've already decided I won't receive social security.

16% of everything I make goes to my 401k and has since I was 22...

That is great, the problem many don't understand how important it is. What type of match do you get?

I watched the speach tonight and was semi-pleased that he outlined how all classes (I hate that cliche!) would be impacted.

In short, the poorest would recieve the most benefits and the wealthy who have more options would have less and less benefits come their way.

One last point from me, personally. How come noone corrects the dems when they use the term "guaranteed benefit"

There never was, nor ever will be a "guaranty".

Originally posted by iheartskins

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Seriously, I just booted a little in my mouth when I opened this thread. :jk: 'Booma. :)

Though, I will say that it's a bit of a dead horse.

I agree with you, but this is the beginning, the speech tonight, the response by the dems tomorrow, the battle has begun :)

His talk on gas prices was honest and blunt.

Everything else seemed to be on shaky ground. Not what he was saying at that very moment, but why he's taking it to TV in primetime.

He could tour the rest of his term, and I don't think HIS S.S. plan will pass, because #1. The Dems aren't going to buckle on this, and #2. There are enough Repubs who want to be re-elected and aren't blind to the lack of support for this...... right now.

I guess we'll see in a few days how it all polled out.

Originally posted by Bufford

Everything else seemed to be on shaky ground. Not what he was saying at that very moment, but why he's taking it to TV in primetime.

He could tour the rest of his term, and I don't think HIS S.S. plan will pass, because #1. The Dems aren't going to buckle on this, and #2. There are enough Repubs who want to be re-elected and aren't blind to the lack of support for this...... right now.

Isnt it sad that re-election and politics gets in the way of some type of reform?

Regardless of the thoughts for or against privatization, we are paying huge sums of dough into a fund that we will never see a single dollar in benefit from.

It's pure theft.

true, but at the same time. If they are scared that if they vote for this, they won't be re-elected. That means they were planning on not following the will of the people who elected them in the 1st place.

If you want to represent me...do it, because if you don't. You lose my vote.

That's why they are scared and W isn't. This is the last job he'll have. He needs something other than Iraq attached to his legacy.

What I liked though is how he even mentioned that some parts of the plan were from a democrat.

I think you are right and it is a shame, but Bush was very smart how he talked about it today, he got the American people wanting to see something done. Congress can only dodge this for so long, the people don't want to find out in 20 years there is nothing.

I don't agree.

Yeah, he made his case.

But I doubt its strong enough to get the support swing that they're hoping for.

If Republicans are calling private accounts D.O.A., that's a bad sign.

Sorry but they are wrong. PA is the way to go, it is in the private industry, the schools, the non profits, etc... it is about time the government woke up. They like having the social security pot to play with, but if it was out of their hands then there will not be any more IOU's there.

Where you watching MSNBC??

Originally posted by chomerics

And I saw right through his BS. . .

It was BS of him naming the democart that helped him with that part of the plan :doh:

If Bush helped you accross the street and saved your life you would still forget :D

Or are you just mad because he said the Dems have no new ideals :laugh:

whatever passes won't look like anything you're defending right now.

No one knows, but should be interesting.

Now the question I have is if anything does get passes, does Bush come out a winner or do you think it had to have some type of PA's in it?

If there are no Private Accounts, then this doesn't go down as a victory for him. That simple.

I disagree, I think any big change to Social Security would be a victory since it has been 20+ years since the last.

If there are no Private Accounts, then this doesn't go down as a victory for him. That simple.

Bingo. And it did very very little.

Personally I will be incredibly upset if he does not hold his ground on this issue. It is very very important to the future financial health of this nation (in terms of entitlements and yada yada, yes I know debt is more important)

I think it'll be a major stab in the back to those of us that sent in money and campaigned expecting there to be some sort of significant reform in SS. I would rather have this prolonged though for 2 years, done right, and pass, rather then have it defeated this year, or some half ass lets cut benifits for the rich because well they can take care of themselves bull.

Simply put any bill that passes without personal accounts is a failure for the President. And this mumbo jumbo of cutting benifits for the rich is just that, a whole bunch of mularky which should not be considered

Of course the "party of choice" wants you to have no choice in your retirement. But what else can we expect?

Archived