Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The key to the runing game this year. (sleeper)

Originally posted by jimster

Betts is nice depth, but he's not going to un-seat Portis.

Manuel White also adds a new dimension in the Gerald Riggs mold.

It's my understanding the White isn't much of a short yardage or power guy, being a converted RB at FB.

Which is why I don't get the pick....

Broughton will be the big back & short yardage guy...

Originally posted by 3rd Generation Die Hard

Couldnt agree more on the ravens game, gotta give ed reed credit on the play seeing as he was DPOY and much faster than betts. i should have rembered the playing seeing as it unfolded in front of my face 6 rows back in the endzone he scored in. Betts for a series sprinkled in every 3rd series or so with white or broughton busting it open on the goaline sounds like a game plan to me!

Now we need to reteach ourselves on the forward pass

Betts was going to be the RB of the future if Spurrier stayed. He was a second round pick and has lots of talent. But one more missed block like that one against the Ravens and he should be cut. That game was at home and really could have turned our season. I still like his potential though. As for Rock, I don't think he is done. We just resigned him and he could be a solid special teamer.

Originally posted by ntotoro

Betts will probably be given more chances this year, but I don't think it's fair to use the Vikes game as an example of his usefulness. He did perform well against them, but they gave up 125 yards-per-game last year. He was below what the average back got off them... ;)

Nick

bump...

their run defense was atrocious...

Betts is aight... but no sleeper

Originally posted by skinstzar

Betts was going to be the RB of the future if Spurrier stayed. He was a second round pick and has lots of talent. But one more missed block like that one against the Ravens and he should be cut. That game was at home and really could have turned our season. I still like his potential though. As for Rock, I don't think he is done. We just resigned him and he could be a solid special teamer.

actually... didnt we get trung candidate to be the feature back... then spurrier thought he could run his college offense, and used a lot of the 2 back formations... making candidate and betts split carries

we may have tendered rock but we did the same with hasselback and his time seems to have come to an end. The block during the ravens game that was missed was caused by a great scheme and brunell taking an overexageatted drop. No way shape or form should betts be cut skinstzar. You said it yourself he was a 2nd round draft pick 2 years ago. That may explain why it is tough to stop a crafty saftey blitz off the edge with one of the quickest players (reed) in the game goin after one of the slowest (brunell). HTat was a big turning point in the season where we could have taken off but cant you say thta about 9 other games?

Originally posted by jrfriedm

No I actually saw Betts miss blocks fail to pick "must have" make able first downs. Other than speacial teams, I don't think that Betts did anything to impressive. I still think that Rock should be given a chance.

missed 1 block , and did very well the rest of the season

26 carries for 118 at 4.5 yards a pop and 1 td.

if we can get half that a game from him and let portis slice up the D along with bangin White for those tough to gain short yardage situations I think we will be on point runnig the ball

he really on had like 65 yards on 21 carries until the last drive.

I went to a couple of games that Betts played in and thought he hit the whole with some authority. I really thought he would get those 10 +/- carries last year. Gibbs always split up the carries back in the day, but last year he just kept giving it to Portis. I do think we'll see more of Betts this year.

Also, I seem to remember Betts picking up blitzes pretty well. I do remember the play in the Baltimore game, but other than that I don't really remember any other whiffs. Maybe the blocking rep is kinda like Bowen's "bad angles" rep from last year.:laugh:

3rd Gen,

Betts is a good utility back who can be relied on to carry the ball when needed. The problem is, he cannot be relied upon in picking up the blitz or in a blocking role (See Baltimore game last year:doh: )

This is why he may never see 10 carries a game with a healthy Portis on the sidelines. I am all for him stepping it up and improving in those areas, but until he does Portis will carry the load.

I am fairly certain Betts lack of the above skills is what promted Gibbs to pick up a couple guys in the draft and some UDFA backs.

I am all for Portis sharing the load with someone, but Betts is not the guy. Not right now, anyways.

Originally posted by illone

3rd Gen,

Betts is a good utility back who can be relied on to carry the ball when needed. The problem is, he cannot be relied upon in picking up the blitz or in a blocking role (See Baltimore game last year:doh: )

This is why he may never see 10 carries a game with a healthy Portis on the sidelines. I am all for him stepping it up and improving in those areas, but until he does Portis will carry the load.

I am fairly certain Betts lack of the above skills is what promted Gibbs to pick up a couple guys in the draft and some UDFA backs.

I am all for Portis sharing the load with someone, but Betts is not the guy. Not right now, anyways.

Its tough to write off a sophmore of the league when he misses one (yes it was a key one) block against the DPOY. If portis has another year like last he might not be standing period let alone on the sideline. Thats what im nervous about

He is real versitile as well as broughton from the citadel. I believe this may mean Rocks term in DC is coming to a close

Oh lord. Another one. Six backs, and Rock is the one cut. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hog Fever

If I remember correctly Rock was given the chance a couple of times last year to be a short yardage guy too and it didn’t work out. That’s not to say that he didn’t make contributions in other ways. He was solid on special teams.

His attempts were in the last minutes of 2 games. Not much chance of showing what he could do.

we may have tendered rock but we did the same with hasselback and his time seems to have come to an end. The block during the ravens game that was missed was caused by a great scheme and brunell taking an overexageatted drop. No way shape or form should betts be cut skinstzar. You said it yourself he was a 2nd round draft pick 2 years ago. That may explain why it is tough to stop a crafty saftey blitz off the edge with one of the quickest players (reed) in the game goin after one of the slowest (brunell). HTat was a big turning point in the season where we could have taken off but cant you say thta about 9 other games?

Again..........:rolleyes:

I still don't understand why Rock, who has played great on ST is the one cut. Morton anyone?

Blondie

There is no way Betts should get anymore than 5 maybe 10 carries in a game.

Portis should average at least 25.

Portis is one of the top 3-5 RB's in football, he's a gamebreaker and needs the ball as often as we can get it to him, whether it be on the ground, or through the air.

And can you please stop with the stupid "you must be from the Madden Generation" everytime someone doesn't agree with you.

bettes is overated, he was always refered as our "power back" but frankly he's not that powerful of a runner and he doenst have great speed. He's a good special teams player but not worth giving more than 5 carries a game unless we are way ahead. I cant get that play out of my head when ed reed returned the touchdown against us and all bettes had to do was push him out of pounds and he gave a ***** tap and reed kept running

Originally posted by mookie0720

There is no way Betts should get anymore than 5 maybe 10 carries in a game.

Portis should average at least 25.

Portis is one of the top 3-5 RB's in football, he's a gamebreaker and needs the ball as often as we can get it to him, whether it be on the ground, or through the air.

And can you please stop with the stupid "you must be from the Madden Generation" everytime someone doesn't agree with you.

yea portis didnt make it to week 17 on your 25 carries per game. Are we supposed to rely on betts if we were to make it to the playoffs? The madden thing was used once and obviously struck a nerve with you.

:point2sky

Originally posted by ryerye05

bettes is overated, he was always refered as our "power back" but frankly he's not that powerful of a runner and he doenst have great speed. He's a good special teams player but not worth giving more than 5 carries a game unless we are way ahead. I cant get that play out of my head when ed reed returned the touchdown against us and all bettes had to do was push him out of pounds and he gave a ***** tap and reed kept running

I disagree on Betts, he has shown great promise as a RB not only last season, but even in some games during the SS all pass era as well.

He even had a couple 100+ yd games under Spurrier. If he can get it done under those circumstances, then he can get it done even better in a true rb focused system with proper blocking schemes.

Don't hold one (admittedly disgusting) blown play against the guy as him norm.

I understand emotion is high due to that one mishap, but lets be fair to the guy!

I also concur with Blondie that Morton is as good as gone.

He simply won't fit in what I hope are the new plans.

Originally posted by SouthernCali Skins

actually... didnt we get trung candidate to be the feature back... then spurrier thought he could run his college offense, and used a lot of the 2 back formations... making candidate and betts split carries

hahaha, good ole Dung, but he still sucks!

Betts and Rock's time is obviously short here, Simon might actually make the practice squad or something again over these 2 guys. White seems like he'll make the roster, Broughton will probably make the practice squad as well. I just hope that with the amount of FB/RB/TE 's that we have, we'll find our short yardage back, and our 2nd back behind Portis.

Anybody know what Rock's weight is going to be this year? Last year, he lost 20 pounds on Byner's recommendation, as I recall, and it didn't help his speed, but did cut his short-yardage power. I thought he was better at his higher weight in 2003. Maybe he will bulk back up and be more of a force at 1st and goal.

i forgot you must be part of the madden generation who thinks football is throwing 50 yd hail marys all day is a game plan
This isnt madden 05 where you throw it 50 yds.
oh so what exactly are your qualifications? yea madden 92-05
you are 20 and grew up in the heart of the madden era. You said "you had experience" I was curious to as what

Betts is great.....as a backup to Portis. Portis is without question one of the most dangerous RBs in the game, but if he were to get hurt, we do have good insurance with Betts there.

He did play well last year in his opportunities, for sure...as most change of pace backs do though. Our o-line was a gamble...one play there would be a hole wide open (IE week 1 TB) and the next 6 plays the hole would close faster than Jessica Simpson's pre-Lachey legs.

Betts is valuable, but by no means should we consider him anything other than what he is as long as CP is on the roster.

I agree Betts is a better fit in Gibbs system, but he will never be the feature back as long as Portis is here.

I think Portis will do fine, he will break a couple of long runs, but then get dropped for loses on other carries. That's the type of back he is.

Originally posted by bubba9497

missed 1 block , and did very well the rest of the season

Agreed, and it amazing how by the end of the season, Betts hard style of running matched the same style as his coach, Earnest Byner.

Portis' carries should come down, which I think will make him more effective. Mix in Betts, and now these drafted fullbacks, and now Coach Gibbs has many different options (which is exactly what he wants on offense). This also helps keeps the offense focused and fresh.

Archived