Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

are we a better team right now or....

lead commander

I say better....coles for moss....i say wash...patten I think helps...rabach is an upgrade...jansen coming back really helps...year of offensive film and experience to figure out what went wrong (ie.g. portis, passing game)...rogers replaces smoot...wash...taylor with a year under his belt...i think there is nodoubt we are better.

a year in the system with the return of jansen and the signing of rabach, and tweaking the system should make us better... its not like our WR Corps were great with Coles, and with it looking likely that gardner is coming back, we have an alright mix of WRs

Originally posted by SkinsForLife260

Ramsey will have another year under his belt. The line is a huge upgrade like mookie said. The coaches will def figure out how to fix the running game.

But he has AGAIN, not had a full year.. He had to deal with Brunell starting the majority of the season...

I think we have either stayed the same or gotten a little better, but I think based on draft picks and free agency pickups that our division rivals have done better...

on paper its just a matter of opinion, but the biggest factor here is experiece. the players have played for joe gibbs for a year, joe gibbs has coached for a year. coach has a better feel for the game and his players. the players have been under the coaching and system for a season. Experience wise were much better, and IMO we are better on paper....i firmly believe we'll be talking playoffs come jan. 06;)

We're a substantially better team in total than we were much of last year. The return of Arrington, Bowen, Daniels and Jansen are wonderful boosts in returning players. Barrow could be as well. The addition of Rogers helps ease the sting of losing Smoot.

While I like Coles better than Moss and think in terms of overall ability we lost out here, that may not be the case if we were right about how Coles seemed to decline after hurting his toe. In all, we have now essentially lost one player without any direct replacement who appears to have immediate possibilities. That's Pierce.

What most people don't really pay attention to though is the substantial improvement on special teams we've made this offseason with dedicated guys intended for special teams use almost exclusively.

We have a couple of areas we lost at least a little in direct comparison (Coles for Moss, Gardner for Patten if we lose Gardner, Smoot for Rogers initially if not forever and Pierce for nothing). But an improved offensive line with Rabach, improved team speed and depth and a nice focus on special teams give us a better overall team than we had last year.

With hope that translates into winning some more :).

I think on paper we are about even, maybe a little worse than next year. Downgraded at CB and MLB, upgraded at C and OT (assuming you count Jansen coming back). Probably about even at WR.

Hopefully players developing and coaches adjusting will make the biggest differences. Its a little dissapointing because I think we had the chance to greatly improve...

Originally posted by mookie0720

Our biggest upgrades are Jansen and Rabach.

Those are HUGE upgrades over last year's players.

Umm.. At this time last year, Jansen was on this team.

To answer the question, we are probably better from the standpoint that we have a year under the system.

Playerwise, it is probably a push right now.

Jason

You have to look at it as relative growth. You also have to take into account that we're pretty old in a lot of key places, and we did not use the draft to get younger, instead we managed to tread water with our first pick.

We lost a lot. If we end up winning it's all on gibbs. If we end up losing, it's all on gibbs.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

You have to look at it as relative growth. You also have to take into account that we're pretty old in a lot of key places, and we did not use the draft to get younger, instead we managed to tread water with our first pick.

If you are talking corner, we have young guys behind the starters who Williams likes very much. I think adding one CB was probably required.

If you are thinking the DL, then I agree. It almost seems like the Skins ignore the DL on purpose when it comes to draft time.

Jason

Originally posted by Stricknine

I say better....coles for moss....i say wash...patten I think helps...rabach is an upgrade...jansen coming back really helps...year of offensive film and experience to figure out what went wrong (ie.g. portis, passing game)...rogers replaces smoot...wash...taylor with a year under his belt...i think there is nodoubt we are better.

Coles for Moss is not a wash...that is a downgrade at this point. Rabach is a definte upgrade. Rogers for Smoot is

NOT a wash. Smoot was a proven player in the NFL with experience...how can you say putting a rookie in for Smoot is a wash???

Patten vs Garnder may be a push - they are both unspectacular. Losing Pierce will hurt. At this point I think we are not as good - at least on paper. But after being paper champions the last few years, who knows?

Archived