Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Jason Campbell make sense at 25?

The only reason the Jason Campbell thing might make sense is because Ramsey has two years left on his contract.

If you take Campbell, put him as your third QB this year, Gibbs then has a safety net if Ramsey doesn't pan out this year. Campbell would already have a year in the system and he could either take over or he could be the primary backup for Ramsey when we release Brunell after this next season.

Also, if Ramsey has an above average year this year, and then threatens to sit out unless he gets a new contract, we can then trade him, and have Campbell ready to go, rather than having to give into Ramsey's demands or starting from scratch with a free agent or rookie.

The more I think about it, the more it might not be all that far fetched.

Originally posted by MorgantownHokie88

The only reason the Jason Campbell thing might make sense is because Ramsey has two years left on his contract.

If you take Campbell, put him as your third QB this year, Gibbs then has a safety net if Ramsey doesn't pan out this year. Campbell would already have a year in the system and he could either take over or he could be the primary backup for Ramsey when we release Brunell after this next season.

Also, if Ramsey has an above average year this year, and then threatens to sit out unless he gets a new contract, we can then trade him, and have Campbell ready to go, rather than having to give into Ramsey's demands or starting from scratch with a free agent or rookie.

The more I think about it, the more it might not be all that far fetched.

----

No it doesn't make ANY sense. Lets face it if Ramsey sucks this year we are going to also suck therefore our first round pick next year would be in the teens alas we could then....oh wait we gave up that pick. Why do so if we even think Ramsey would suck this year? Why not trade him now that he still has a two year "rookie" contract and this pick for a veteran...I I forgot Gibbs doesn't like veteran QBs....lol. NOT. And if Ramsey pans out like I know he will then why on earth woudn't we give this guy a great contract. He is only 26 and if he proves he can play in this league you want him on your team period. Then what the hell you do with campbell? You trade him? For what. Certainly not the amounts you gave up to get him. its a loose loose situation IMO especially when at 25 you can get a player to help you offense and Ramsey out.

Originally posted by spjunkies

I think Ramsey is going to jet once his contract expires.

I hope we have a plan.

I agree about needing a plan...

But I don't see Ramsey leaving the Skins. He has paid his dues, been tested by fire, survived last year, took everything like a man.

He will get the paycheck he so richly deserves right here.

The pick of Jason Campbell makes NO sense!! We have more pressing needs at other important positions other than QB. CB, WR, DE, DT is were we should look in the Draft if we are to make a move THIS year!! Campbell to me may pan out for another team, but to me IMHO he's another Akili Smith or Ryan Leaf in the making.

I truly believe the Redskins are putting up a smoke screen with their interest in this particular player... at least I hope so:doh:

It is not out of the question that Gibbs is actually interested in the Redskins' future beyond his reign as coach. I think Ramsey's contract is a good point as well.

Last year Gibbs had Roethlisburger as the highest rated QB on his board. He may feel that this guy Campbell is the best QB in the draft this year. Maybe he thinks the kid is just a great QB period. Who knows? Its not THAT far fetched. If thats how he feels then it certainly isnt out of the question that we'd take him with the 25.

All I'm saying is that it is not out of the question. I think Gibbs has a lot of faith in Gregg's D, so he may feel that he can afford to make a move like this. Do I think it will happen? No. Do I think its a possibility? Yes.

Archived