Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So I have decided

laxpck

I am going to eat a bunch of pills and wake up next week when every media outlet complains about what we did vs what we are going to do now.....

Face it, we (as the Redskins) are a lighting rod for media attention....Hatred of Snyder seems to be the reason (not to mention big splash track record)-whatever the reason it seems as if everyone believes they know more about football then our front office...

This time two years ago I would have agreed

But Joe Gibbs people....JOE GIBBS is calling the shots...I agree that Brunell was a tough pill to swallow last season, but I truly believe most of Mark's problems came from the Achilles injury, and I also believe that we have one of the most experieced backups in the league right now, which is an important piece of a puzzle....Ramsey did take some strides last year, how much of that was because of Brunell's tuttelege?? NO one really knows the answer to that, but I do know that Brunell and Ramsey are friends, which has got to mean something about how Ramsey views him as a mentor...

Sorry to digress, but the Brunell decision is really the only evidence that Gibbs bashers use to question his judgement, and I am just saying that it wasn't that bad of a decision. Coles was a cancer that had to go (expensive I know but he had to go)....Pierce was a cog in the defensive wheel that if Williams would have said was not expendable would still be here

Have faith in the man that brought us 3 super bowls....have faith that this move isn't knee jerk or short sited.....he is not senile in his old age....just calculting..

Call me a blind follower, but I truly believe that Gibbs has got this all under control, no matter what ESPN or WP or anyone else who has not brought us 3 super bowls believes....

Remember the elation that came with Bringing back Gibbs, no one expected immediate results....just cool headed rational decisions....and I think that is what we are in the midst of...he is controlling what info goes to the media and it is a masterful job of smokescreening

I just can't wait for the season....Clinton Portis following (correctly) the pulling counter tre'.....play action fake to a quick look to Cooley in the flats.....our defense once again stifelin' opponents offense....it is going to be a great year...

Go ahead vets.....light into me now.....

Originally posted by PearlHarborCrew

Does the name Desmond Howard ring a bell?

Name me a single NFL coach who doesn't have a Desmond Howard.

Name me a single coach who hasn't started the wrong QB, RB, or WR.

Name me a single coach who has never missed the playoffs.

Name me a single coach who has won the Super Bowl every year.

Go head. I dare you.

Desmond Howard yep remember him, and a guy named Riggins.

on another point it takes a long time for a good captain of a ship to bring her around in the crappy storm the redskins have been in the past years..... yes years.

Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach, but his track record at picking players is shaky at best. I'm a Joe Gibbs fan so no need to try and convert me, I hope he succeeds.

If his track record of picking players is "shaky at best".... by all means... give me an example of 10 coaches - in the history of the NFL, because I'm feeling generous today :) - that don't.

I mean, we're talking about a coach with 3 Super Bowl rings. A guy who is famous for turning undrafted college free agents into Pro Bowl linemen (both offensive and defensive).

A reputation that wasn't even tarnished until.... well until, Desmond Howard.

You know the old saying... "A man can build a thousand bridges.... but he sucks 1 ****.... and he'll forever be known as a **** sucker."

yes, but do the names

Darrell Green

Charles Mann

Mark Rypien

Alvin Walton

Kelvin Bryant

Timmy Smith

Ed Simmons

Jeff Bostic

Darryl Grant

Chip Lohmiller

Stan Humphries

Mark Schlereth

Brian Mitchell

Ricky Irvins

Sean Taylor

Chris Cooley ring a bell?

...and that does even scratch the of the picks he's traded for players that contributed.

I like your optimism and suppport of Gibbs. However, unless Mark Brunell's achilles is somehow attached to his shoulder, i don't think that injury had anything to do with his noodle arm and throws that the Yo Ming couldn't have caught....

Originally posted by cscmtp

I like your optimism and suppport of Gibbs. However, unless Mark Brunell's achilles is somehow attached to his shoulder, i don't think that injury had anything to do with his noodle arm and throws that the Yo Ming couldn't have caught....

Yao Ming... Anyway.. maybe Brunel was out of shape not able to work out because of his injury.. I'm not sure.. I'm sure I don't ever want to see him again on the field. .

Well I don't think it's exactly fair to say that MB has a noodle arm. He's shown on a few occasions the ability to throw it deep. Lax could still be correct, if MB's achilles was still somewhat injured it would affect his throwing motion meaning he may have had a tough time pushing off, which is why a lot of his passes sailed on him.

well the "out of shape" thing would defintiely effect his running in the pocket, but i don't see how it affected his throws, right out of the gate, in the first quarter, that sailed 10 feet high or out of bounds. Guys, i love the Skins more than anyone, but Brunell was THAT BAD. He was just horrible. And i like the guy as a person. I feel bad for him. He's lost it, and it would be a Grant Hill type comback if he could ever be an effective starter again IMO. But i hope i'm wrong!

Originally posted by laxpck

I am going to eat a bunch of pills and wake up next week when every media outlet complains about what we did vs what we are going to do now.....

Face it, we (as the Redskins) are a lighting rod for media attention....Hatred of Snyder seems to be the reason (not to mention big splash track record)-whatever the reason it seems as if everyone believes they know more about football then our front office...

This time two years ago I would have agreed

But Joe Gibbs people....JOE GIBBS is calling the shots...I agree that Brunell was a tough pill to swallow last season, but I truly believe most of Mark's problems came from the Achilles injury, and I also believe that we have one of the most experieced backups in the league right now, which is an important piece of a puzzle....Ramsey did take some strides last year, how much of that was because of Brunell's tuttelege?? NO one really knows the answer to that, but I do know that Brunell and Ramsey are friends, which has got to mean something about how Ramsey views him as a mentor...

Sorry to digress, but the Brunell decision is really the only evidence that Gibbs bashers use to question his judgement, and I am just saying that it wasn't that bad of a decision. Coles was a cancer that had to go (expensive I know but he had to go)....Pierce was a cog in the defensive wheel that if Williams would have said was not expendable would still be here

Have faith in the man that brought us 3 super bowls....have faith that this move isn't knee jerk or short sited.....he is not senile in his old age....just calculting..

Call me a blind follower, but I truly believe that Gibbs has got this all under control, no matter what ESPN or WP or anyone else who has not brought us 3 super bowls believes....

Remember the elation that came with Bringing back Gibbs, no one expected immediate results....just cool headed rational decisions....and I think that is what we are in the midst of...he is controlling what info goes to the media and it is a masterful job of smokescreening

I just can't wait for the season....Clinton Portis following (correctly) the pulling counter tre'.....play action fake to a quick look to Cooley in the flats.....our defense once again stifelin' opponents offense....it is going to be a great year...

Go ahead vets.....light into me now.....

:cheers: Yo, I agree. Totally agree. The Skins are working the media to their advantage. Nobody knows who we're going to take, and that make us a bigger threat in the draft.

We all know Gibbs probably has been working night and day on this draft for a while now... He has a gameplan, and we're going to come out on top no doubt.

I see how some people don't like the trade we made, but I believe that was just step one of the plan, and once step two comes, it will all make sense. Gibbs has something up his sleeve, and it's going to be good. Can't wait :D

Are you trying to tell me, if you were an NFL coach, that you would not have taken Desmond Howard in the first round? It's not like it was a reach when we selected the Heisman Trophy winner. He just turned out to be a bust...ala Ryan Leaf (actually not nearly as bad as Ryan as at least Desmond was a contributor).

We can all generally agree he looked very shaky out there and didn't inspire confidence. But to be fair, you can't pronounce the guy a total bust yet. He 'has been' a pretty damn impressive QB. There are any # of legitimate factors that may have impacted his play last year:

- He was learning a brand new offense

- He was learning the capabilities of a brand new group of players

- He was under enormous pressure (being the inaugural starter for a returning hall of fame coach, getting paid a ridiculous amount of money, and dethroning a popular talented young incumbent QB)

- He may have been recovering from previous injuries

- He either lacked the receivers, the protection, or both calm/relaxed in the pocket and make his reads.

All of the above may not be true, but a great deal of it was. I'm not 'apologizing' for him. I screamed obscenities at the TV as did the rest of you when he threw it in the dirt or into the stands for the 100th time. But I can also recognize, what we saw isn't typical of Mark Brunell - you can bash the guy to your heart's content - but the truth is, he has been a super QB previously, and its hard to believe, with a flip of a switch, all that skill, savvy, and judgement is just gone. Its not. And sometime over the next couple years, Brunell's going to get called upon, and I'm willing to bet he surprises his critics.

Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach, but his track record at picking players is shaky at best. I'm a Joe Gibbs fan so no need to try and convert me, I hope he succeeds.

Here's a list of rookies that made the active roster last year for at least one game: Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, Mark Wilson, Jim Molinaro, Garnell Wilds, Ryan Boschetti, Rufus Brown, Brandon Barnes.

The track record for rookie performance is excellent. Our 1st round pick was a first alternate Pro Bowler. Our 3rd round pick was an excellent starter. All of our 2nd day picks saw significant playing time, and so did 4 of our undrafted free agents.

Six of the players we signed were Pro Bowl players or alternates. Seven of the players we signed were starters on our 3rd ranked defense, which was previously ranked 25th.

Originally posted by Tarhog

All of the above may not be true, but a great deal of it was. I'm not 'apologizing' for him. I screamed obscenities at the TV as did the rest of you when he threw it in the dirt or into the stands for the 100th time. But I can also recognize, what we saw isn't typical of Mark Brunell - you can bash the guy to your heart's content - but the truth is, he has been a super QB previously, and its hard to believe, with a flip of a switch, all that skill, savvy, and judgement is just gone. Its not. And sometime over the next couple years, Brunell's going to get called upon, and I'm willing to bet he surprises his critics.

I agree. I bashed Brunel like everyone else did, but I never understood what the problem was.. I figured it was just age.. But who knows.. I think we'll see the old Brunel atleast once as a Redskin before he retires/gets cut.

So -- in other words, you're holding Brunell as definer of Gibbs, the personnel guy, too. Seems a bit unfair considering the excellent free agency moves made outside of Brunell. Certainly, Gibbs has always been a coach first, personnel guy second & certainly mistakes have been made on his watch, but, aside from losing a couple of players they didn't want to lose (and who doesn't?), what evidence is there that he doesn't know anything about personnel decisions.

I just think people want to bust on the Skins -- at least in part -- because they don't like Dan Snyder. Although I like Snyder (as an owner -- as a person, who knows?), I know he rubs some folks the wrong way. Get over it: this is Joe Gibbs' team. The team isn't run anything like it was when Norv, Marty, or Spurrier were here. They WILL NOT be without their mistakes, but I do think there's some real high-level thought & analysis going on there b/c (if for no other reason) Gibbs is there. He is a leader with smarts & integrity.

Archived