Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last year we were thinking Udeze, Wilfork.....

The Gibber

I remember last year, early into the draft coverage people were talking about us picking up Udeze, Wilfork, or Will Smith, with our #5 pick. Obviously through the draft evaluation process it turned out to be more of a two man race with Soldier boy and Taylor. But if you look back at last years draft Will Smith went 18, Udeze at 20, and Wilfork at 21. And I just remember watching them slide and thinking "we were thinking about these guys at #5"

All of these guys had early potential to be picked up at #5, but they slid for various reasons (Wilfork rumors to be 50 pounds overweight, etc..) So I guess my point is that maybe even at #25 we will get one of the guys we were even thinking about at #9. Williamson, Pollack, Miller, Merriman, Rogers, Spears, Clayton, Erasmus, all of these guys were mentioned as potential #9 picks, and most of them will be gone by the time #25 rolls around, but all it taks is one of those guys to still be on the board and we will be licking our chops. Throw in the potential with Matt Jones, and we could be getting two really solid players this year that could get us over the top in a couple more games and instead of being 6-10 we go 9-7 and are in the playoffs.

A man can hope, right.

But wasn't part of the problem with those guys that they matched a need...but at 5 it was reaching to get them?

When the draft evaluation first begins players are rated all over the place, but I think that by the time draft day had come...nobody thought of any of those guys as a true top 5 pick.

Exactly Seantaylorisdaman. There are always teams that reach, which allows certain players to drop. In the 20s you might be able to pick up a "Top 10" type guy like the ones that I mentioned.

Also I think that if we are doing this to get Matt Jones, then we are doing two things at once, by taking him away from the eagles. Kinda like we did with Gardner. I know that Gardner did not play up to his potential, but I know that the Eagles loved him, and he definitely played better then Freddie Mitchell. So that year we got a decent player but also took him away from the Eagles, which is what we might be trying to do this year as well with Jones. But the eagles can always trade up, which they have been known to do.

Originally posted by Oldskool

wrong.

Very few people were saying take any of those players at #5. They were saying trade down the pick and get multiple picks, while getting a DE/DT in the first.

Sound familiar?

I was saying that about Udeze. For some reason I have the 9 spot stuck in my head, meaning I though we should trade down to 9 and grab Udeze, on the theory that at #9 he'd be good value as the best DE in the draft.

And yet Udeze dropped to 20. Maybe we can pull out a Erasmus or Pollack at 25 this year and be able to get two quality players. I hate Pollack and James at #9, but like them alot at #25.

I have heard that Jim Johnson (Eagles) is a big time Pollack lover. And he has a pretty good eye for defensive talent.

I wanted Udeze but I can admit I was wrong. I am partial to Mike Williams but if we dont get him I will still love the Skins. We dont know the draft is a crapshot because Heath Shuler and Trent Dilfer sucked. In fact so did Michael Westbrook and J J Stokes. We dont know Udeze might have been a force with our linebackers and DBs football is a complete team game.

Tommie Harris was also one of those players coveted at #5.

As the draft got closer, pretty much all of us believed that if we stayed at #5 than we should take KWII or Taylor. Additionally, those who thought there was more talent down the board thought we should trade down into the teens and take the players mentioned above.

As it turned out, the only player we would have lost would have been Harris, because Udeze... Wilfork... and Smith were still there in the teens and wound up being taken farther down.

In the end, we have to trust the draft board developed by the Redskins. No one doubts that Taylor has all the talent in the world.... but we now have doubts because he's turned out to be a head case. KWII may breakout this year... but it was clear we were content passing and picking up Cooley later on Day #1 and targeting a need (safety) with a freak player deemed by many as the best defensive player in the draft. Heck Gibbs said they had Big Ben rated as the top QB... and all he did was win more games than any rookie in history. Gibbs rated him over Manning and Rivers, who the mediots drooled over and had rated #1 and #2 and virtually all the draft boards.

Archived