Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Portis says AWOL Taylor needs 'time away' from football

tr1

Portis says AWOL Taylor needs 'time away' from football

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer

April 20, 2005

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Running back Clinton Portis says his good friend Sean Taylor is boycotting the Washington Redskins' offseason program because of a need for ``time away from football'' after a difficult rookie season.

Portis said he saw Taylor at a charity picnic in Florida over the weekend.

``Going through all the bad pub that he took, you just need time away from football,'' Portis said Wednesday. ``I think Sean's in shape. He looks good. He's training.''

Taylor and receiver Santana Moss are the only two unexcused absentees from the offseason workouts, a snub that has upset coach Joe Gibbs. Both players have told the Redskins they want new contracts.

Gibbs has heard from Moss, who was acquired in a trade with the New York Jets, but Taylor hasn't returned any of the coach's phone calls. Both players have the same agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and Portis, Taylor and Moss all attended the University of Miami.

Gibbs said Taylor and Moss will be in violation of their contracts if they don't report for the start of the more structured offseason workouts in early May, even though the players' union considers those practices voluntary.

``Sometimes you work through these issues and tough things come up,'' Gibbs said. ``And we're trying to do that right now.''

Taylor, a safety, wants to overhaul the seven-year, $18 million deal he signed a year ago. Although he played well in his rookie season, he was an off-the-field headache for the team. He fired two agents, was fined for skipping a day of the NFL's rookie symposium and was benched for a game after being arrested on a drunken driving charge for which he was later cleared.

``I think Sean's going to come back high-intensity,'' Portis said. ``Just let him go out and have fun, as long as he's not getting in trouble.''

Portis downplayed the significance of the workouts and said he was attending only because he wants to assume a leadership role among his teammates.

``Nothing happens today ain't going to affect July, August, September,'' Portis said. ``Santana calls me every day: 'Man, what y'all do today?' I'm like: 'Man, we ain't did nothing. We're doing the same thing you're doing in Miami, running and working out. You ain't missed nothing.'''

The day after the season ended in January, Portis famously said his offseason plans were to live it up, and he asked reporters for mercy in advance in case he made the news for the wrong reasons.

Asked on Wednesday whether he had behaved himself, Portis said: ``No, I didn't. I just didn't get caught.''

``I had a couple of parties with Hugh Hefner that were invite-only, so there were no cameras involved,'' Portis said. ``I did the SI swimsuit (issue).''

He appeared to be joking, but one never knows with Portis.

``Hopefully when this gets calmed down and we get these two other Miami guys up here and some of this heat is taken off me, I can slide in there with (owner Dan) Snyder and coach Gibbs and ask them if I can miss a week or two,'' Portis said. ``I'll pick up where they left off.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-portis-taylor&prov=ap&type=lgns

:wtf:

Was Taylor's rookie year really that bad? This guy seems a little fragile.

I like what Joe is doing here... seems like he's assigning players to mentor and to handle these new young guys.

I like Portis a lot... except he could probably have handled the S. Moss phone call a little better... "We Aint Done Nothin" :doh: Don't tell him that, portis! :)

Did they REALLY have to print dis?

``Nothing happens today ain't going to affect July, August, September,'' Portis said. ``Santana calls me every day: 'Man, what y'all do today?' I'm like: 'Man, we ain't did nothing. We're doing the same thing you're doing in Miami, running and working out. You ain't missed nothing.'''

:laugh:

Nothing to be worried about here. CP is that kind of guy. He said he was there to assume a leadership postition, and he could be working out somewhere else to the same effect. I can see training where your comfortable. I think after this year Taylor will be more comfortable and we will see him more often. The only thing Im concerned with is Moss not getting a rapport with Ramsey.

:doh:

And what's up with this quote....

Asked on Wednesday whether he had behaved himself, Portis said: ``No, I didn't. I just didn't get caught.''

``I had a couple of parties with Hugh Hefner that were invite-only, so there were no cameras involved,'' Portis said. ``I did the SI swimsuit (issue).''

Did the swimsuit issue? Does he mean the magazine itself, or all the models? :tongue:

Archived