Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wet Dreams in Dallas

Mickalino

Cowboys dreaming of NFC East title :laugh: .....Here's the article...I didnt include the link cuz you need a membership in the Dallas News.

Cowboys believe they can win NFC East

Campo tells players to expect Hard Knocks, division title team goal

06/06/2002

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cowboys coach Dave Campo wants his team to think big – win the NFC East big.

While addressing his team after practice during this week's quarterback school, which concluded Wednesday, Campo asked his players, "Who believes we can win the NFC East?"

Everyone raised their hands.

"That's what I expected," Campo said. "I want them to get in their minds that our goal is not just to be out on the field. Our goal is to win games, and it should be to win the NFC East."

Campo said part of the reason he wanted HBO and its series Hard Knocks at training camp this summer was for his players to get used to media attention that comes with winning.

"This is a dress rehearsal for where we want to be because there's going to be a lot more media attention than what comes with Hard Knocks, if we can win the NFC East," Campo said. "There's no reason we can't win it this year."

Goodrich may be down to last chance

Cowboys cornerback Dwayne Goodrich, the team's first overall pick of the 2000 draft (taken in the second round), practiced for the first time this week after recovering from surgery to repair a torn Achilles' tendon. The question is, has the team moved on without him?

Goodrich was running on the second- and third-team during training camp last season when he suffered the injury.

Since then, the Cowboys have signed Pat Dennis off waivers from Kansas City, drafted cornerback Derek Ross out of Ohio State and brought in free agent Bryant Westbrook from Detroit, who also is recovering from a torn Achilles.

Not to mention Duane Hawthorne and Mario Edwards, who started most of last season.

Still, Goodrich said he's not discouraged.

"It's a little motivation, but it's not frustrating," Goodrich said. "You can't focus on the people they've brought in. I'm glad they brought Bryant in, having the same injury I have, it makes me feel good to see someone out there doing as good as he's doing."

Briefly ...

Several players, including running back Emmitt Smith, linebacker Dexter Coakley and defensive tackle Brandon Noble, said they will have no problem practicing on synthetic turf inside the Alamodome at training camp. Coakley said it might even be better than the "rock-hard" fields at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, where the team trained the past four years. ... Cornerback Bryant Westbrook suffered a mild hamstring pull in practice Wednesday but was expected to be available for the team's next quarterback school July 9. ... Cornerback Pat Dennis had a nice breakup on a deep pass to Raghib Ismail Wednesday. ... Former Cowboys cornerback and current Dallas Desperado Kareem Larrimore watched practice on Wednesday. ... Rookie receiver Antonio Bryant continues to impress coaches and teammates with catch after catch. He beat cornerback Mario Edwards on an inside route Wednesday during team drills. ... Tight end/deep snapper Jeff Robinson missed all three days of this week's quarterback school with a family issue.

I'm kind of glad Dallas is semi good. It will make the whooping we are going to put on them that much more satisfying, and as an added bonus they will hopefully help the Skins out and take a game from Philly, but I have no fear of Dallas, I put a lot of stock in Matthews experience in the NFL and his success in Spurrier's system. Quincy Carter will probably continue to run the option...that should be amusing against our backers. They are good enough to respect, but I certainly don't fear them or consider them a legitamite threat for first place. The X factor may be their O-Line, which could carry them, but the D in Philly and DC and even NY is going to be too good for an O-Line with its strength in the interior to carry a team.

Yomar, Yo man, it's like this. The better they are when we do put this bs of how good they are to rest, the less excuses they'll have.

I don't get into questioning the team pep talks, as they motivate with those and Campo asked for the camera to get sympathy votes for his team, have em feel sorry when they splat all over the place. yeah and generate mindless fan support from stiffs that don't know jack about the game, but get stuck in hotel rooms in between cross dressing, selling bs business plans and stranded from being dumped from he-haw dates. Surely a man's fears are measured in his actions. Campo is spending week after weeking looking for co-signers because the closer the reality is getting, the more he's chewing nails.

sure they got Emmitt and he's got his pride, but GD!!!! we got pride too! Yeah, he'll be history alright, all this stuff about what he's got as a goal, that's normal, but WHY the asking to have a camera, is more of a promo based on uncertainty. Danny had the camera on him from day one and those on and off the field around him. It will be there if you're Cincy or if you're NE, so that get used to the camera line is the biggest crock, from a very, very unsecure coach!

Time to put the sh** to rest once and for all!

I pay attention to Dallas as little as possible. As long as they lose their 9 games a year I'm happy. Ignorant Cowpie fans disgust me. I have yet to meet one that knows a thing about football. Not to say there are none out there, I just never met one.

Dallas has some talent and some good young players. Last year they were 5-11 largely based upon the incredible weakness at the QB spot. If they can get improved play there, they certainly have enough at other spots to be a pretty good team.

We are a more talented team, but, it wouldn't be surprising to see them make a jump up and pass us in the standings if it takes longer for Spurrier and Lewis to take hold than we'd like to envision. Dallas has consistency going for them in terms of what they've done in the offseason, signing a lot of their own and mixing in a handful of free agents.

We've shifted gears entirely, again. Last year we had 31 (or so perhaps it was 32) new players on the roster. This year, we are also mixing in a large number of new bodies to fill many areas. We're doing a good job of getting players that will help us, but, how quickly it will come together is key. I don't see the Cowboys winning the division. But, I don't see us winning it either, without another couple of quality additions, or some great performances by some younger guys on our roster.

I pay attention to Dallas...alway have, always will. Know thy enemy.

They have some young talent, but when they issue statements like, 'There's no reason we can't compete for first in the NFC East.' they ignore the reality. They didn't compete because they can't deal with the Eagles.

Also, while it's nice that Antonio Bryant is making catch after catch in mini-camp, that also means that Mario Edwards is muffing coverage on play after play, no?

Bring 'em on. We're ready today.

Zuskin, I'm Erwin, nice to meet you.

Now, I'm not the most knowledgable football fan but I like to think I know something about the game. And yes, I am a Cowboy fan.

As far as Dave Campo's speech, give me a break. Every player should be expecting to win their division this time of year. To win you have to believe in yourself and your team. There is not a thing wrong with believing they can win their division.

Zuskin:

As long as they lose their 9 games a year I'm happy.

Actually, for anyone keeping track, we've lost 10 games the past 2 seasons. And we lost eight the year before that. Will they lose nine this year? It's possible, but I think that's as probable as the Boys winning 12 games this year. I would think 8-8, 9-7 or maybe 10-6 is the best guess depening on a ton of factors.

Dallas will be decent this year. And all the Skins fans are allowed to say things like they can't wait until the Skins pound the Boys. But until it happens (and it hasn't happened in a LONG time) saying things such as

I'm kind of glad Dallas is semi good. It will make the whooping we are going to put on them that much more satisfying,
seems a little silly.

Erwin,

To be fair, if you are going to nitpick about how many games Dallas has lost, don't correct the guy who was saying nine as a generic when you point to 10 as a specific and the real number is 11. :)

Ah yes,

Let the predictions begin.

I like all this offseason fluff, but until Dallas can handle Philly winning the division is a second thought.

Hey fellas let me introduce you guys to our new secret weapon.

williams-okla-092901-lg.jpg

Getting back to Campo's speech, I seem to recall Marty doing something fairly similar last year - setting the bar high with the goal of a championship.

It's what coaches do, why it should be newsworthy I have no idea.

That was my point, Jimbo....It makes me wonder, could the Cowboys penchant for crotch-digging and groin-friendly ways, be the reason they were interested in Michael Westbrook ?

So perhaps Westbrook would be a perfect "fit" for the Dallas offense.

Archived