Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to ask that age-old question again.

Mickalino

Why is Donovan Greer still on the roster ?

Let's look at all he has survived thru the Redskins, and still manages to hang around :

1) A crappy 2001 preseason

2) A season-ending injury in 2001

3) The emergence of Smoot/Bailey

4) The sustenance of Darrell Green another year.

5) The passing of Schottenheimer, who was the one who handpicked him, and still sticks around with the new coach Spurrier.

6) The addition of several defensive backs thru the draft and college free agents

7) Now he has survived the June 1st, er June 3rd cuts.

What is up with this guy ? Do we need to call him "Bubble Gum" for sticking around our Redskin Park furniture (the bench) for way too long ?

My top 3 answers:

1. Greer has photos of Dan Snyder with farm animals.

2. Greer is one of many candidates to fill the vacant left guard position.

3. The Skins are hanging on to Greer and Albright until they actually NEED the cap room to sign someone. They are in a better position negotiation-wise with the extra $1.4 million in cap space tied up in players under contract than they would be if it were available. If they really need the dough to ink someone, they can make the move at that time. Otherwise, why not bring both to training camp???

Yes, I've heard that since the devastating knee injury, Greer has put on some solid weight and is considered by many to be NFL guard material. Good one OM. :laugh:

The truth is, Greer has to be cleared by a physical and declared healthy. Otherwise, an injury settlement has to be negotiated because a team cannot simply cut a player who is injured. So.. when Greer passes a physical and is deemed healthy, he'll be released when the skins need to sign someone. Think about it, would you pay a guy a settlement to cut him.... or just wait to he's cleared to play and cut him and pay nothing to do so.

As for Albright, I think there is some hesitation to let loose someone more than capable of being an outstanding long snapper. Yes, the team would like to replace him with someone cheaper, but they also want to make sure they're keeping someone as capable as him. It's to early to tell whether the drafted kid (Grau) or the UFA kid are up to the task. Remember, one bad snap would revive the case for not having cut Albright in the first place.

Originally posted by Cskin

Yes, I've heard that since the devastating knee injury, Greer has put on some solid weight and is considered by many to be NFL guard material. Good one OM. :laugh:

Yea good one, OM !! Good impersonation of Buddha !! You had a lot of people fooled on that one, Ommy boy !! :laugh:

Keep Albright.

We're gonna need some serious Special Teams play this year. One missed FG could easily mean missing the playoffs!

I guess I should ask, "How much does he cost"? before I start saying "keep him".

So, how much will he count against the cap? Anybody know?

Archived