Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cats vs dogs

PokerPacker

• 1 year later...
Nothing personal folks, but I find indoor cats completely useless. Cats are only good around the farm/barn for keeping the rodents down. :2cents:
cats=useless
Cats are part time pets, full time prima donnas. They love two things - food and themselves.
Cats want a staff to attend to them, plus they are a pain.

I'm reading these posts, and I'm thinking "Have you ever seen a cat?" All my life, I've had cats that are playful, affectionate, fun, smart and very useful pets. How are cats prima donnas? A little projection there, perhaps? How are cats a pain? And news flash, red zone, you don't need a farm or a barn to have rodents. I have a small black and white domestic short-hair cat, and a Jack Russell Terrier. If I was stranded on a deserted island and could only have one of them to keep me company, I choose the cat every day and twice on Sunday.

That said, I reject the whole dog person/cat person dichotomy. It is possible and admirable to like both.

• 3 years later...

I had a collie that looked like Lassie when I was little. I now have a Chow. My collie was smart as hell. My chow is just straight up strong(When I went on vacation he knocked down a wood door twice to get out of the backyard so he could get to the front porch and sit waiting. My good friend/neighbor who was taking care of him was the only one who could get near him and get him back in the yard. Then had to nail the door back up.Needless to say I gave my neighbor a little extra for their trouble.:ols:)

Both dogs are loyal as hell though.:)

(fun fact: Chows guarded the Chinese Emperor.)

In the end, a dog has more upside than a cat because, let's face it, your cat will never come when you call it, or play fetch, or willingly get into your car to go to the park.

My cat Nick comes when I call him. Every time. He's a real freak.

I used to have a cat that played catch with old crinkled up cigarette packs (the paper kind). Rheingold was a freak too. She would play for hours and always bring the pack back to me.

I've got nothing about the car though. A cat only ever hops in the car if it thinks it's not supposed to go there. This supports cat axiom #1: doors should always be open; any closed door must be investigated and breached at all costs. :)

There is a reason why dogs were the first domesticated animal. Dogs perform valuable work and are helpful to man. They can even be trained to save human lives. Burglars and criminals don't tend to be put off by cats meowing. Ever see a police cat? Bomb sniffing cat? Seeing eye cat? Sled cats? Cats don't care about learning tricks or pleasing their owner, only about themselves. I find it hard to admire and take into my home that kind of animal. In addition, I wouldn't want to have a cat pooping and peeing in my house everyday. How disgusting. That said, I wouldn't mind having an outdoor cat or two if I had a farm and/or barn with a mouse problem.

I don't hate cats and dogs are not better than cats, they are just different. However, I'd rather have a dog any day of the week. After all, dogs are MANS BEST FRIEND. I'll leave the cats for the girls. ;-)

Dogs, no question. If you're a senior citizen or are disabled and need a low-maintenance pet, you'd get a cat. However, if you are neither of the above and want a real pet you'd get a dog.

Dogs:

help the blind

sniff drugs

sniff bombs

help rescue crews

bring down criminals

Man's Best Friend

Cats:

(crickets)

Now unfortunately, some lazy dog owners put them in situations where they are a danger to people and to those people...you shouldn't own an animal.

There are some decent cats that my friends own but...they are just boring and only want self-amusement.

Dogs are best, however cat,slow roasted w/garlic on a bed of rice is good.

You're sick.

The three times I've had that I thought I would puke. It is better to use cats in place of clay pidgeons, much more challenging targets given their independent movement capabilities.

There is a reason why dogs were the first domesticated animal. Dogs perform valuable work and are helpful to man. They can even be trained to save human lives. Burglars and criminals don't tend to be put off by cats meowing. Ever see a police cat? Bomb sniffing cat? Seeing eye cat? Sled cats? Cats don't care about learning tricks or pleasing their owner, only about themselves. I find it hard to admire and take into my home that kind of animal. In addition, I wouldn't want to have a cat pooping and peeing in my house everyday. How disgusting. That said, I wouldn't mind having an outdoor cat or two if I had a farm and/or barn with a mouse problem.

I don't hate cats and dogs are not better than cats, they are just different. However, I'd rather have a dog any day of the week. After all, dogs are MANS BEST FRIEND. I'll leave the cats for the girls. ;-)

I live in a city and have three outdoor cats. They are great companions, just different like you said. Having a dog where I live would be plain stupid. Our total lot is around 3000 square feet, and houses are typically 10 feet or less apart, so no room for a dog to hang out except inside. The cats on the other hand come and go, and have a cat highway on the common retaining wall that runs the length of the backyards between our street and the one behind it. It's a good setup. No litter box, no need to pick up their crap.

I like dogs too. It would be bad for a dog to live in our house though given the yard and neighborhood.

BTW one of my cats is known in the neighborhood because he kicks dog ass. :evilg:

I think it really depends on your current living situation. Dogs are obviously more high maintenance than cats. So, if you're single, live alone in the city, don't have $250 a month to spare on a dog walker, and have an fairly active social life, then it becomes very difficult to have a dog.

But if you are married with a couple of kids and have a house with a fairly decent yard, then a dog is the way to go.

In the end, a dog has more upside than a cat because, let's face it, your cat will never come when you call it, or play fetch, or willingly get into your car to go to the park. But if you're looking for a companion that won't demand too much of your time, then get a cat. A cat will never cry when it wants to go for a walk or take a giant poop on your living room carpet if it stays inside for too long.

Also, I believe in getting pets in twos, so that they always have a playmate.

Actually my cat comes when you call her and plays fetch...its odd.

Dogs are like having a kid in that you have to take them with you or pay top dollar for a kennel if you don't have someone to watch them. Cats are easy as you just add more food and water and you're fine for a weekend out with your wife and kids.

I have a cat. I love dogs but they are too much work. I admire dog owners for the commitment they make because it's like having a severely mentally challenged person living in your home. You gotta really have patience and be able to devote a ton of time to own a dog. Cats are great companions that don't require constant attention and maintenance.

I like them both, but dogs are high maintenance and I travel too much. And you don't have to wash cats.

Tell that to my brother:laugh:

Dogs:

sniff drugs

And suddenly the image of Brian from family guy addicted to weed comes to mind.:ols:

I voted dogs, although a 150 lb. cat never ripped my son's face open, nearly killing him.

I just always liked dogs better than cats.

Yeah I still love dogs too even after being attacked and bit by some. I hold that against the owner not the dog.

damn, i don't even remember starting this thread! i was just looking at the tailgate, and there's a thread started by me.

and again this thread is bumped out of nowhere and I had no memory of starting it.

Cats play an important role in preventing plagues. They kill disease-ridden rodents. The Black Plague was allowed to rage on because leading up to the plague, cats had been persecuted for witchcraft. We just don't appreciate what cats do for us because its not necessarily readily visible.

As for cats not caring about pleasing their owners, have you never heard of a cat catching a mouse and dropping it at his owner's feet as a present? Sure, you may not WANT a mouse, but that doesn't mean he's not trying to please you.

Archived