Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

-LMAO- Newt Gingrich wants to run for President

Prosperity

Eye on '08, Newt hits Iowa, N.H.

By Alexander Bolton

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/041205/newt.html

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) will spend two days in New Hampshire next week to meet editorial boards and conservative activists, convincing several of his former House colleagues that he will run for the presidency in 2008.

Gingrich will spend Monday and part of Tuesday in the Granite State and has packed his schedule with events calculated to boost his profile and woo influential Republicans whose support would be critical in a presidential primary. New Hampshire is the site of the first primary.

Gingrich will attend a $50-per-person fundraiser for the New Hampshire Republican State Committee and meet a coalition of conservative activists. He has also scheduled meetings with the Concord Monitor, Union Leader and Valley News and an appearance on New England Cable News, said Rick Tyler, his spokesman.

The former Speaker will also visit the Dartmouth College Republicans and participate in two signing sessions for his new book, Winning the Future. High-toned books are classic markers of a politician’s blossoming presidential ambitions.

Gingrich will also travel to Iowa on May 12 and 13 for visits to Sioux City, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and will likely participate in events for the local Republican Party and attend one or two book signings, Tyler said. The Iowa caucuses are the first election of the presidential nominating process, followed by the New Hampshire primary a few days later.

News of Gingrich’s foray into the presidential battleground and the array of politically significant activities have prompted enthusiastic responses from House Republicans. All GOP lawmakers who spoke with The Hill said he would be a top-tier candidate who could seriously challenge the early front-runners, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Although McCain and Giuliani lead early national polls, some conservatives view them with deep skepticism. McCain has often sided with Senate Democrats in key legislative battles, such as last year’s over the budget, and Giuliani supports abortion rights.

Gingrich is a hero of conservatives, whose influence will be heightened in a presidential primary.

“Apart from Ronald Reagan, there has been no voice more clarion in the conservative movement than Newt Gingrich in the last 25 years,” said Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a caucus of about 100 conservatives in the House. “I know that conservatives because of their respect and affection for him are going to take a real hard look at Gingrich.”

Pence said conservatives would also consider carefully Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) should they decide to run for president, as many political observers expect.

Pence recalled his days as a House candidate, driving around the district listening to GOPAC tapes of Gingrich explaining how to communicate the tenets of conservatism.

“The man has a genuine gift for inspiring passion for conservative ideals,” Pence said. “That used to come across on tape.”

Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), who came to Congress as part of the Republican revolution of 1994 that Gingrich led, said, “I think Newt would love to be president. I don’t think there is any question about it. He’s already met the criteria; he’s already written a book, or several books. This is right up Newt’s alley.”

Though LaHood said Gingrich hasn’t told him either way, he added, “I have no doubt that he’s exploring the possibility of running for president.”

When asked recently at a lunch at the Princeton Club in New York if he would run for president in 2008, Gingrich responded, “You never know,” the New York Post reported.

During a March 24 speech at the Four Seasons Hotel sponsored by the Wednesday Morning Club, a group of Hollywood Republicans, one attendee asked Gingrich to run for president. Gingrich didn’t rule out the possibility, saying merely that he would “stay focused on issues.”

Tyler said his boss is not planning on running for president “but he hasn’t ruled it out, so I shouldn’t rule it out for him.”

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), who was a freshman lawmaker when Gingrich led the 1994 revolution, said Gingrich “comes into it as a top contender.”

“I say that because he is a prodigious fundraiser and a brilliant strategist and he’s brilliant on the issues,” said Kingston, who compared Gingrich’s political skills to those of his one-time nemesis, former President Bill Clinton.

“Newt is a brilliant guy, like Bill Clinton in many ways, complete with some tragic flaws of his own,” Kingston said. He said that Gingrich had a knack for calling a meeting when factions of the Republican caucus were at loggerheads and making peace.

Mark Foley, who came to Congress as part of Republican revolution, said that Gingrich “probably has the best political Rolodex of anyone in the nation.”

“He is the best known of any of the potential candidates,” Foley said. “I think he is seriously considering it and positioning himself to be considered seriously.”

“Think of how many candidates like myself he’s helped in the past; think of all the Lincoln Day dinners he’s attended,” said Foley. “Who can access such a network instantly? Even senators don’t have the kind of reach that the Speaker had in his heyday.”

Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Fla.), who served two years as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, said Gingrich’s skill set may be better suited for the White House than it was for the Speaker’s office.

“He’s a visionary and a big thinker, whereas the primary obligation of Speaker is making the trains run on time,” Feeney said. “Some of the negative criticism of Newt is that he was busy coming up with one big idea after another and there was little follow through.”

Feeney said that few politicians are as articulate as Gingrich and that the centrist ideology of the early favorites in the race may create an opportunity.

“Newt may sense an opening based on philosophy,” Feeney said. “we have a very conservative base across the country.”

This should be interesting

Newt vs Hillary in 2008?

He has definitley been working to soften his image the past few years. By the 2008 election it will have been a full 10 years since he stepped down as House Speaker

Hmmmm, this is very interesting. Not sure why it deserves a LMAO but I digress

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

This should be interesting

Newt vs Hillary in 2008?

He has definitley been working to soften his image the past few years. By the 2008 election it will have been a full 10 years since he stepped down as House Speaker

Hmmmm, this is very interesting. Not sure why it deserves a LMAO but I digress

Soften his image? Yeah whatever you say. I have heard the guy say he wanted to get rid of all Federal courts that have judges that he doesn't like. If it is Newt v. Hillary, then Hillary will win. :puke:

Lest you libs forget.

Newt handed the Democrats a defeat so bad they they are still feeling the repercussion 11 years later.

Democratic control of the Congress is not even a thought for liberals because of the 1994 Contract for America. Which, by the way, set up the balance budget amaendment and welfare reform.

Newt has a track record that shows fiscal discipline and leadership.

What is Hillary's track record?

ahhhhh yup. NOTHING

ummm, she's in office.....and he's not.

That's her track record.

Jeez......... lets be realistic. Newt can't win jack now. He knows this, everybody knows this.

As awful as Hilary is...... she's still doing something right now that doesn't revolve around giving her opinion on Hannity and Colmes every few days so people don't forget her.

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

Newt Gingrich is a maggot of unfathomable proportions. Even with the conservative base being more extreme right wing now than ever before, Newt would never, EVER win the Republican nomination. Republicans may be evil, but they're not stupid.

Is that a prediction???:laugh:

Giuliani is the best candidate, but all the social conservative nutjobs won't let him get the nomination, even if it means a surefire victory in November.

Despite his image, I actually admired Gingrich for sticking to his fiscally conservative ideals. He needed to learn when to shut up - the media constantly sifted through his interviews and ran with anything they could use to label him as an extremist. The GOP House has been HORRIBLE since Hastert replaced Gingrich - they've been spending money at a rate that would've embarassed 80s Democrats. That siad, he IS a VERY polarizing figure, and could never win a general election. If he wins the primary (very possible), the Dems will win the White House easily.

Originally posted by Bufford

ummm, she's in office.....and he's not.

That's her track record.

Jeez......... lets be realistic. Newt can't win jack now. He knows this, everybody knows this.

As awful as Hilary is...... she's still doing something right now that doesn't revolve around giving her opinion on Hannity and Colmes every few days so people don't forget her.

Ok, doing something.......

Give me one piece of quality legislation with Hillary Rodham's name on it. I'll buy you a golden cookie or a teflon cupcake.

Professional Experience:

1977-1992, Partner, Rose Law Firm, Little Rock AR

1984: Headed Wal-mart's environmental committee

Political Experience:

1993-94: Co-chaired the task force that proposed changes in the U.S. health-care system.

1979: Appointed by Pres. Carter to chair the Legal Services Corporation

1974: Staff on the House Judiciary Committee to impeach Pres. Nixon

1973: Staff on Marian Wright Edelman's Children's Defense Fund

1990s: Chaired the Arkansas Education Standards Committee

who follows what Senators from other states do?

I only remember her being at the front of some AIDs bill, before the President went off on his money to Africa bit...... and there was another but I can't remember?

What's Newt doing? right....getting his makeup done before doing another show.

Originally posted by Thiebear

Professional Experience:

1977-1992, Partner, Rose Law Firm, Little Rock AR

1984: Headed Wal-mart's environmental committee

Political Experience:

1993-94: Co-chaired the task force that proposed changes in the U.S. health-care system.

1979: Appointed by Pres. Carter to chair the Legal Services Corporation

1974: Staff on the House Judiciary Committee to impeach Pres. Nixon

1973: Staff on Marian Wright Edelman's Children's Defense Fund

1990s: Chaired the Arkansas Education Standards Committee

And wife of a US president that liked soggy cigars.

Man, I tell ya, Hillary does have it going on.

Originally posted by Bufford

who follows what Senators from other states do?

I only remember her being at the front of some AIDs bill, before the President went off on his money to Africa bit...... and there was another but I can't remember?

What's Newt doing? right....getting his makeup done before doing another show.

Whatever.:rolleyes:

My point remains.

Originally posted by portisizzle

Is that a prediction???:laugh:

No, that's a fact. Hey - I know more about politics than I do about golf, that's for sure.

While I was living in Colorado, I called in to a political talk show that was taking calls from people to predict who Dole would choose as his running mate in '96. It was about a month before Dole actually made his selection, and I was the only one who picked Jack Kemp. The guy almost mocked me on the air, saying that I obviously wasn't hanging around in knowledgeable circles, and that Kemp would be the LAST person Dole would choose.

Well, we know how that turned out.

So I have a good record in political predictions, and I guarantee it. The RNC will actively try to dissuade Newt from running, and if he does, there is no way they will allow him to win the nomination.

I kind of hope he does get it, though. That will ensure a democratic president if that happens. No one can stand Newt.

Archived