Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I started this in a new thread so you would all see it.....re: Atkins Diet...

I have been on the Atkins diet for awhile. I've lost 60 pounds. I won't lie, I went off a couple of times and when you do that, you gain weight back easily. But, if you stay on it, there is no other diet you can lose weight faster on. Plus, carbs make me very tired, I have so much energy on this diet.

The point of this post is that there are websites and places where you can get bread, candy, snacks, and other things that you would normally miss on this type of diet. They specialize in low carb foods that you are used to eating with high carbs. There is even spaghetti and other pastas. If you mix them with garlic and oil and put parmesan cheese on it, you can't tell you are eating low carb pasta. If you guys are interested, I will post some of these sites here. Let me know.

Hey Tom,

How long have you been on the diet? 60 lbs is a good chunk of change :) I've kind of hit my plateau the past few weeks - been stuck at 190 lbs - so I've begun incorporating exercise :)

I'm most definitely interested in some low-carb links. Can never have enough variety of foods.

Here's a few of mine:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/

http://atkinscenter.com/

I can't say I've tried any of the recipes yet. The pastas and bread mixes, while definitely appealing, are still quite pricey and I haven't broken down yet.

Everyone I know who went on the diet has had tremendous success losing weight. Quickly. And more importantly... they're all still on it. While it begins as a diet... it becomes a lifestyle change.

The best part is... you don't have to pay to join or buy any proprietary foods. Though I would high recommend buying Dr. Atkins book - it sells for about $7 US to guide you along. But more importantly, it's a very good and easy read.... and it explains to you in laymen's terms how it works, why it works and offers plenty of scientific background.

If you're too lazy to exercise or simply don't have the time - but probably a little bit of both - this is the quickest and easiest way to lose weight.

It's very restrictive for the first two weeks (ie. no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day). But on average, people will up to 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks.

I would recommend to anybody thinking about taking the diet to TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. While over time you will regain your energy, the initial shock to your body will leave you fatigued for days. The multi-vitamins will help immensely. And everybody should be taking multi-vitamins anyways ;)

Heh, I, unlike most people have a different problem:

I only weigh like 125 lbs, and should be weighing atleast 20 or 25 pounds more. I need to gain weight. What can I do? Maybe one of you fellows can help me to go in some direction.

I better gain weight now, so when I go back to V.Tech this fall, the chicas will be looking my way :).

Hey DH... the dress isn't part of the diet is it? ;)

Honestly though, I guess I am one of the few who had negative results from the diet. Tried it on three seperate occassions (sp) each time I lost about 15 lbs the first two weeks. After that nothing, and usually around the third to fourth weeks I started regaining the weight. I wasn't cheating at all. I dealt with terrible headaches for a few weeks as well. All in all for me it was three not so great experiences.

Peace

Originally posted by DaFunky1

Hey DH... the dress isn't part of the diet is it? ;)

Honestly though, I guess I am one of the few who had negative results from the diet. Tried it on three seperate occassions (sp) each time I lost about 15 lbs the first two weeks. After that nothing, and usually around the third to fourth weeks I started regaining the weight. I wasn't cheating at all. I dealt with terrible headaches for a few weeks as well. All in all for me it was three not so great experiences.

Peace

How long did you remain in the induction phase? You can remain in it for up to 6 months. I'm four months in and I'm still staying around 30 grams of carbs daily. The increase in variety of foods just by the extra 10 grams is enough to keep me going. I haven't lost weight as rapidly as I did initially but Dr. Atkins forewarned about this. And at some point, inevitably, everyone is going to need to exercise to lose additional weight. Muscle burns fat... and the more muscle you have... the easier it is to lose weight.

I have been on the Atkin's diet, and on a regular work-out program, for about 2 1/2 months. And I feel great! At the age of 32, I had discovered that my bachelor diet (meaning, way of eating) of beer, pasta, breads---LOTS OF CARBS---had bloated my body waaaay to much! (After being in relatively good shape when I was younger, I felt terrible!) I made a commitment to lose weight, jumped into the diet, and so far, I have lost about 30 lbs.

I haven't felt this healthy in 10 years.

Truly, if anyone really wants to lose weight, the Atkin's diet WILL work. (Working out several times a week is definitely an added bonus as well!) Of course, the Atkins Diet DOES take discipline--A LOT of discipline. I love all of the high-carb food, and I am telling ya, it took a good bit of will-power to make a switch in my diet. Especially since I am a vegetarian as well (I have been a vegie for about 13 years), finding means of getting protein at first posed a challenge. But I discovered my soy-protein alternatives were quite adequate.

Ok, I hope this doesn't sound like an ad, but I preach the low-carb/high-protein diet to anyone that will listen to my inane babbling. :-) Oh, BTW Silentskin, if you want to gain weight, I would recommend checking out some of the body building websites. They usually have a section on a safe, healthy way of weight gain. (Really, eating lots of pasta will attain weight gain, but it's necessarily the healthiest method.) Here is one page I found when I did a google.com search using "weight gain bodybuilding" as a search parameter: http://www.intense-workout.com/weight_gain.html

Cheers,

~B.

DH, I never left the induction phase. That is why I got so discouraged and quit after about a month. I lost like crazy at first then gained, felt tired, couldn't focus, and had headaches. I felt it wasn't worth it for me. I tried body for life last summer lost 24 lbs (271-247) in 5-6 weeks, and felt much better than on the atkins diet. I need to lose about 80, but between school and other responsibilities, I just don't want to make the time to make the commitment.

Any insight where I might have gone wrong would be greatly appreciated.

And as far as muscle goes, I was pretty active when I tried the diet. I was, at the time, still in pretty solid shape, just with some added cushion. I had washboard abs... I just had a load of laundry on them. :laugh:

Peace

Took the words out of my......fingers on that one D.H. That and a bunch of h20 for the headaches. The presence of lean muscle mass is a major contributor in the bodies ability to burn fat. Can't dodge it, sooner or later, the dreaded exercise comes in. Contrary to what many gym gurus may say, you don't have to spend a day in the gym. About a 1/2 hour- 40 mins .. say 4 times a week would suffice. (Note, I was preaching "that" before ol Bill Phillips came out with his book. :D )

Silentskin, the kinda weight you want to gain and the girls dig, is the kind that results from pumping those weights lad. Careful though, some people just can't put a bunch on no matter what they do. (Hate that!) Try the best of both worlds, Atkins diet and the weights. Maybe trying that soon myself. One of the few diet and exercise plans I haven't tried in nearly 26 yrs of lifting.

Dafunky, if I may ask, what were you eating? Did you carefully look at the foods you were eating and made sure you were having "carb creep"? Also, were you drinking enough water, avoiding sodas, high-sugar foods, etc? Really, it's hard to gain weight on this diet if you are careful. And I must stress careful! I would stress always looking at the labels of the foods you eat, a lot of food has more sugar then one would think. (I looked at a Slimfast can the other day, and I was shocked at the number of sugar carbs in one can of that stuff.)

BTW, I have discovered that Safeway is a good source of low-carb food. (At least the one in my area.) Lots of high-protein vegetarian food is available, and if you look, a good amount of low-carb food. They even have a "low-fat" bread that's actually pretty low-carb, about 7 grams per slice. They also have a "Select" brand of flavored carbonated water that has 0 carbs, since it's flavored with artificial sweetners. Now, being able to eat an occasional slice of bread and drink something other then water doesn't seem like much, but, for me, it's a nice luxury! And that's important when trying to maintain a reasonable weight loss without further gain.

I hope my rambling helps.

~B.

I drank about 1-1.5 gallons of water a day out of necessity. Both for the diet, as well as for the heat. SE GA can get hot as Hades... hit 100 today... my diet consisted mostly of chicken, eggs, steak, pork... meats and protein foods. No carbs added. I even tried frying chicken according to his recipe... I think it was soy flour I used... man was it nasty and I can fry some chicken. I did not cheat on the diet, I was definitely committed to the weight loss... each time between 3-4 weeks in I started gaining.

I know the diet works, but it hasn't worked for me. More power to DH and Tom, and the rest on the diet. If it worked for me I know I would have stuck with it.

Peace

Hey Silent Skin...

Check out Lean and Strong . There was a guy who won an early Body for Life challenge a few years ago.. before it was the BFL challenge... he has a web site that explains how he gained weight after being chronically skinny. You will have to move a good bit of weight, and possibly take some supplements, but it can be done.

I'll see if I can find the guys site and post it for you.

Peace

DaFunky1 - My bet is you weren't taking your vitamins :) Personally, I think you gave up prematurely. Honestly, how can you lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks... go another 2 weeks without losing a pound and give up so easily? I just don't think that's enough time to form a fair evaluation of the diet. I would say anyone should give it 2 months at the bare minimum. If you go 6 weeks without losing a pound... than I would reconsider.

I started the diet because.. well.. I'm a lazy b@stard. And there's 2 ways to lose weight... change my diet or exercise. And when I saw the weight loss of my peers without lifting a single muscle... I knew this was method for me :)

I'm Italian... so my diet consisted heavily of pastas, breads, rice and junk foods. It was especially tough for me... and will-power isn't one of my strongest virtues. But once I lost the weight in the first few weeks... I was sold.

I didn't experience headaches. But I did have a couple of days of leg cramps as the book mentioned. Haven't experienced them since.

My diet consists of 3-4 eggs scrambled - occasionally adding grated cheddar and/or green peppers - in the morning. Once a week I'll have bacon with it.

I buy turkey pepperettes to snack on during the day; about 1.5 grams each. I'll munch on a few slices of cheese too. Maybe a few spoons of peanut butter.

Then for supper a steak/chicken breast with salad - usually caesar. Or I'll substitute veggies for the salad. And for dessert... a few spoons of frozen whip cream - tastes just like ice cream.

For my liquids... I drink 'enough' water.... but I bought a wide variety of herbal teas... and decaf coffee - which I'll take with Sucralose (ie. sugar replacements) and cream. Once in awhile I'll enjoy a Diet Coke - although it has aspartame which Dr. Atkins recommends against.... the only real negatives are potential health risks - which everyone knows of already - and aspartame is known to increase appetite. But if you have the willpower... you can enjoy it.

My appetite has decreased substantially. My back problem isn't nearly as strenuous. And my loss of weight has allowed for greater flexibility which is conducive for me to exercise.

SilentSkins - There's 2 types of weight you can gain. Fat or muscle. I'm guessing you'd prefer the latter.

But if you want to be fat... I suggest developing a taste for beer. My best-friend has the genetics we all wish we could have - eat all the junk for and quantities of food until you're basically vomitous - and never gain a pound. It wasn't until he started drinking beer every day that he's put on a few pounds.

Honestly though, sart working out. Low reps with max weight. Concentrate on anaerobic exercise. Don't spend a lot of time on aerobic exercise; 20 minutes tops. Eat plenty of carbs and take supplements. Give it an honest effort for 1-year... and you'll be in peak condition.

Baculus - My God man... 7 grams of carbs on a single slice or bread?!?! That's basically 1/4 of my daily intake :laugh: I won't let any of my 'meals' exceed 5 grams to allow me to eat beyond breakfast :)

Originally posted by Die Hard

DaFunky1 - My bet is you weren't taking your vitamins :) Personally, I think you gave up prematurely. Honestly, how can you lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks... go another 2 weeks without losing a pound and give up so easily? I just don't think that's enough time to form a fair evaluation of the diet. I would say anyone should give it 2 months at the bare minimum. If you go 6 weeks without losing a pound... than I would reconsider.

It wasn't the stop in weight loss... I understand that you will hit a wall from time to time. I hit a few when I lost 30 lbs just lifting and eating whatever I wanted. The thing that truly discouraged me was the gaining weight, I think about 5 lbs, while I was still in the induction phase. I stayed there, didn't add any carbs, just ate what I had been eating to lose the 15 lbs.

Thought I would clear that up for ya.

I can't remember, but I think I did take a multi-vitamin.

Peace

DaFunky1 - I just recalled why you would be experiencing the headaches. Our bodies, through our diets, are conditioned to expect a certain amount of carbs to create insulin. And when you're body is running on lower low-sugar levels... headaches are a typical symptom.

Rest assured... they should subside. Remember, you're reconditioning your body - to burn fat regularly instead of carbs - and there's bound to be some side-effects initially. You're shocking your body for cripes sake :) But you're mind/body will readjust... and you'll be a better person for it.

Low reps with max weight. Concentrate on anaerobic exercise. Don't spend a lot of time on aerobic exercise; 20 minutes tops. Eat plenty of carbs and take supplements. Give it an honest effort for 1-year... and you'll be in peak condition.

Ok, a few questions here. It seems that I am not up to date on some of these "words" :-).

What is "low reps" and what do you mean by max weight?

I'm A Bio major so i know anaerobic means w/o Ocygen while aerobic means in an oxygen environment. So how the heck do I concentrate on anaerobic exercise; please explain.

As for supplements; what kind?

DH is referring to low repetitions with maximum weight.

You find the most you can lift say 3-5 "reps" and do that... when you can lift that weight say 6 reps, increase the weight to the point where you can only lift 3-5 reps of the new weight. keep increasing the weight to stay with the low number of repetitions. If you are new to weight lifting I would definitely recommend finding a trainer. I started out with no one and had a lot of set backs due to poor technique in my lifting. Another thing to think about is using dumbells instead of a bar. It helps to build both sides evenly.

Muscles worked in strenuous (read here as weight lifting) ways cause the muscles to work without O2. if you run you work out with O2. Check out the link I posted above for you, and read some of the faqs they have on the site pertaining to bodybuilding. Those folks could definitely give you some good advice for bulking up.

Peace

I have seen this on TV and have considered it but now with all you guys praising this diet I am going to try it. I was hovering around 290-300 for a long time, and then I decided to quit smoking, great decision for my lungs but not my waist, if you know what I mean. I am going to head to the book store tomorrow and try to get this book. I have a feeling this will be 10 times harder than trying to quit smoking, but I am gonna try

SilentSkin - If you want to get bigger faster... you pump iron. Low reps means you don't perform many repititions. The guys in Muscle Magazine probably perform 3 repitition sets with maximum weights. Meaning... they'll put enough weight on the barbells to lift it 3 times without busting a gut - or more realistically tearing a muscle and doing major damage. 100% effort for those 3 lifts... and at the end of it you should be exhausted to the point of physical breakdown.

That's a bit strenuous for a beginner like you... so shoot for about 8 reps of whatever weight-lifting exercise you're performing. Essentially, when you're lifting weights... you're tearing muscle tissue. And how you get bigger is the muscle tissue regenerates bigger and stronger. Eating protein is an essential part of the process as it helps regenerate the muscle tissue quicker... allowing for quicker healing time.

Also, when working out, isolate muscles during your workouts. Do biceps and triceps one day... and another muscle group another day. And rotate. Doing so ensures that you're working all the muscles in a particular muscle group... and if you work them out hard... you'll need the extra few days rest before you come back to them at the end of the week.

Stay away from aerobic exercise. Not entirely mind you... but don't spend any more than 20 minutes on the treadmill/bike. And it AFTER your workout. At that time... your blood pressure should be an adequate level and it's perfect to wind down.

Make sure you stretch before working out. Stretching will get your blood flowing enough that you won't faint the during your first rep. I can't stress this enough. Take your stretching very seriously. Concentrate and focus on the muscles your are stretching. Ensure that you can isolate and feel the muscles you are stretching. Because it's VERY EASY to pull a muscle when you're lifting if you haven't stretched... and that injury can set you back AT LEAST A COUPLE OF WEEKS. And that makes it hard enough to get back into it.

As far as supplements.... your on your own. I've never had your problem so I've never had to research it. But the data is out there if you spend the time to find it. And if you're serious enough about gaining weight... you will :)

Skins57 - Conversely, I found it harder to quit smoking than losing weight. I am going to quit smoking before I get married in the next 3 weeks.... but quitting smoking AND losing weight was too much to handle at once. But now that I know I had the willpower to lose the weight... I know I have it to beat this terrible affliction :)

Archived