Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's History 101: Legends of Lore - Pat Fischer

Tarhog

Originally posted by redman

What, no mention of the famous stop of Drew Pearson (I think) on the goalline to beat the hated Cowboys?!?!?

Great work guys as always.

You sure that was Fischer? Ken Houston had a stop like that (what can I say, I've watched a lot of footage lately)?

If I'm wrong, I owe you a beer ;)

Great job guys. This series of Redskins History 101 is an out-of-the-park, grand slam home run.

And now, a Pat Fischer story.

Around 1985 or so, I was watching an NFL films presentation of Legends of The Game. One of the segments was about Pat Fischer. My wife, the worlds greatest BTW, stopped working on her art project for school to watch. I had told her he was one of the guys from my first days as a Redskins fan, and how much of a tough little SOB he was.

She was thoroughly impressed.

At the time, she had just started working for a small local computer sales/repair company as a receptionist. Less than a week after watching the Pat Fischer segment with me, who walks in the door to their shop? You got it, Pat Fischer. The company had a business contract with him.

My wife recognized him right away.

"You're Pat Fischer!" she said. "Yes I am" he said.

My wife said he was thrilled that she knew who he was. Apparently, the other employees either hadn't known who he was, or didn't give a damn. But he was clearly pleased and surprised that somebody there had realized who he was.

(I'm sure it didn't hurt things much that some drop dead gorgeous 25 yr old Filipino babe was making a big fuss over him either)

Anywho, she told him I was a huge fan of him and the Redskins, and asked him for his autograph, which he graciuosly gave.

:doh: Now if I could just remember where I packed the darn thing before we moved.

BTW guys, if someone was interested in seeing even more old Redskins footage, what would you suggest they do?:D

Great stuff guys.

Fischer's matchups with Philly's Harold Carmichael were classics. Carmichael was a huge wide receiver - 6'7" and built like a TE. Fischer would always played him tough even though he gave up 10" on the guy. He would just maul him just as the ball got there.

The Mel Gray "catch" was the biggest ripoff in Redskins history, and I still get pissed off watching that clip.

The goaline play was Ken Houston hitting Walt Garrison and stopping him dead in his tracks to preserve the win over the Cowboys.I loved watching Pat play. He is 1 of my all time favorite Skins.Pete Wysocki,Chris Hanburger,and Pat used to punish people.Wysocki was a special teams wildman.Hanburger was all over the field.Great memories.

Tarhog & TK-IV II I,

The amount of work you guys put into that piece was enormous and just wanted to say how much we appreciate your hard work.

Pat was one of my favorite players back then; even had a chance to meet him once. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Guest Gichin13

great post!

Man, the Phantom catch still hurts. I remember that play. We got robbed on that one.

I seem to remember another touchdown catch Gray had late in the game here when I was a kid at the back of the end zone. Just remember because I was at the game. Gray was a great receiver in his time.

Originally posted by SonnyRules

Tarhog & TK-IV II I,

The amount of work you guys put into that piece was enormous and just wanted to say how much we appreciate your hard work.

Pat was one of my favorite players back then; even had a chance to meet him once. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Brother, let me tell you something. You have no idea how much time we each put in just looking for info on Pat Fischer, only to come up with hardly anything. You want to thank someone, thank iheartskins.

Sol, you were clutch. Tarhog & I both you a cold frosty one.

:cheers:

so good, i cant beleive the "phantom catch" that was one of the worst calls ever!!!!!! I saw pat at the pregame tailgate club before our 30--0 dallas loss a few years back, i must say even as an old man he just about knocked me over twice while teasing me about which redskinette i liked. he's stong for an old dude.....lol

Awesome Tar Hog! I have looked every where for that "Phantom Catch" clip! Thanks!

Gotta share my Pat Fischer story here. About 12 years ago, my wife and I were in the market for a house. We went to a Real Estate agency to look at listings. In a large adjoining room, I saw a very "mousey" looking man engrossed in newspapers. As he looked familiar, I kept trying to figure out who he was. Finally it occured to me that it was Pat Fischer. I asked our agent if he thought Fischer would mind if I said hello to him. The agent said he was a great guy and wouldn't mind at all.

Fischer then got up to use the copy machine so I made my move. I intercepted him on his way to the machine and just stuck out my hand to shake his and said "Mel Gray did NOT catch that ball!" Man, he lit up like a Christmas tree! He said he and Jim Hart (the Cards QB at the time) still argued over that play. He also said his wife finally made him take down pictures of that play from the walls in his basement. I had a great time talking to him about that play, and I think he enjoyed it too.

The Mel Gray play and Clint Longley are two Redskins memories I will never get over!

Hail!

That was an awesome biography. Thanks guys. It was great to read after meeting both him and Ron McDole last weekend. Attached is a pic of just him from last weekend. I will say he still has a lot of spunk and loves the game of football. He will quiz you till your brain can not function anymore.

Originally posted by Huly

That was an awesome biography. Thanks guys. It was great to read after meeting both him and Ron McDole last weekend. Attached is a pic of just him from last weekend. I will say he still has a lot of spunk and loves the game of football. He will quiz you till your brain can not function anymore.

Thanks Huly - pretty cool to see him now. And Hailskinz1 - you're welcome. Its a labor of love for TK and I, believe me :)

This was just great guys. In highschool they told me I was too small to make the team...but I did, and eventually I wound up at safety. Around that time I caught some type of NFL films program showcasing Fischer's famous battles with Carmichael...and I knew that was the person to emulate (especially at my position and size)

First chance I got I donned #37, b/c I hoped in my wildest dreams to become like Pat Fischer.

It never happened of course, but I have a fond place in my heart for him.

Archived