Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caution: Liberal crap at work.

Spaceman Spiff

So I have word from a primary source about this...there's a school around the DC area, I'm not going to say which, but they're having a Gay Pride day (Which, generally, I don't have a problem with, for the record. This isn't a gay bashing thread. Don't try to twist what I'm saying into Gay bashing or don't do it yourself.)

This institute of education starts at Pre-K and goes through 12th grade.

The Gay Pride day is for the ENTIRE SCHOOL...Pre KINDERGARTEN through 12th grade.

All so the gay teachers don't feel threatened.

Is it me or do Elementary school kids below 5th grade need a Gay pride day? Or anything sexually related in the first place?

Pre-K boys and girls are like oil and water. They don't think like us, know what we know, or even care. Sexual orientation is the last thing on their little minds, and that's the way it should be.

Do people really need to have an entire day devoted to being singled out? How many teenagers have you ever seen running around in a rainbow t-shirt yelling gay pride? Zero, and there's a reason for that. There's a reason a lot of people are in the closet.

I would absolutely agree with all of you if we looked at this purely from the perspective of sexuality, I justI don't think that you can reduce the issue to just that.

For homosexuals being gay isn't just about choosing a sex partner it also means finding a partner and leading a life together as a 'family' as unorthodox as this may sound.

That said, considering the imagery that 'Gay Pride Day' conjures up in me and I don't think that this is the right approach but I do believe that our children should be confronted with that reality in some way shape or form as to increase awareness and tolerance.

Originally posted by laurent

That said, considering the imagery that 'Gay Pride Day' conjures up in me and I don't think that this is the right approach but I do believe that our children should be confronted with that reality in some way shape or form as to increase awareness and tolerance.

Tolerance implies that you're putting up with something, or enduring it.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Tolerance implies that you're putting up with something, or enduring it.

English isn't exactly my first language but I'm under the impression that tolerance is the capacity to recognize and respect the beliefs and practices of others.

Hasn't hurt my kids. We live in the Castro in San Francisco. Their school is right in the heart of the most famous gay community in America. Their friend Nora has two dads, and their friend Grace has two moms. They could not care less. And neither do I.

Originally posted by chomerics

Funny, I thought this thread should have the title. . . Caution, hate filled gay bashing found in this thread

Hey donkey, read my first post. I'm not bashing gays.

My point was not only is it rediculous that PRE KINDERGARDENERS are being exposed to something sexually related so the gay teachers at the school don't feel threatened. From four year olds.

I may have to be tolerant of their choice because they have the right to live how they want. But I won't sit tolerantly by why they try to indocrinate my children into the "being gay is acceptable" crowd;. They can keep their gayness to themselves.

School should be about three things: reading, writing and arithmetic. Our schools do a piss poor job with all three, and yet they find plenty of time for nonsense like this. It's ridiculous and it needs to stop. There is a big difference between education and indoctrination. We need more of the former and less of the latter.

Edit: Just read steveaa's post. It's good to know that at least one person sees what I am seeing.

Originally posted by stevenaa

I may have to be tolerant of their choice because they have the right to live how they want. But I won't sit tolerantly by why they try to indocrinate my children into the "being gay is acceptable" crowd;. They can keep their gayness to themselves.

Exactly, let them do as they please behind doors; however, do not bring it into the open and expect the majority of America to embrace it. I do not approve of homosexuals and will have nothing to do with them. If this means I am a basher than so be it!

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by TLusby

Exactly, let them do as they please behind doors; however, do not bring it into the open and expect the majority of America to embrace it. I do not approve of homosexuals and will have nothing to do with them. If this means I am a basher than so be it!

God forbid that someone else's sexual preference, which does not impact your life in any way, should not be hidden from view.

What a lame attitude.

And on the main topic, I can see the point that "gay pride" to kindergarteners in school really is off topic. I would prefer that topic to be addressed in the home ... but if we are going to develop the intolerance like the poster above, maybe we do need to force feed accepting differences in others in our school systems.

It's this type of mentality that causes hatred, bigotry and homophobia. This type of mentality lead directly to the death of Matthew Sheppard, and it's why he was beaten to death and left to die tied to a post.

Being gay IS acceptable, it IS part of life. You may not be gay, but you DO have to respect others wishes.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with a gay pride day, it teaches tolerance at a young age, and it teaches people that if somebody is different, then that's O.K.

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by chomerics

It's this type of mentality that causes hatred, bigotry and homophobia. This type of mentality lead directly to the death of Matthew Sheppard, and it's why he was beaten to death and left to die tied to a post.

Being gay IS acceptable, it IS part of life. You may not be gay, but you DO have to respect others wishes.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with a gay pride day, it teaches tolerance at a young age, and it teaches people that if somebody is different, then that's O.K.

In a perfect world, parents would be telling their kids they would accept them as they are. And demonstrating that acceptance through their conduct.

If that really happened all the time, I think we would end up with a lot less dysfunctional people.

You do realise it's not contagious. Your kids won't catch "the gay disease."

Originally posted by Gichin13

In a perfect world, parents would be telling their kids they would accept them as they are. And demonstrating that acceptance through their conduct.

If that really happened all the time, I think we would end up with a lot less dysfunctional people.

I agree. What I don't agree with is schools trying to create a "perfect world" by acting as a moral authority for children. If parents want to raise their kids to be little jerks, there really isn't much anyone can do about it. School is not, can not, and should not be a surrogate parent.

I see stuff like this as more about using kids to make a political point than really trying to 'educate'. I'd have NO problem with doing this at a High School. That age group is dealing with its sexuality, and its an appropriate topic. Younger kids shouldn't be forced to 'confront' anything, heterosexual or otherwise.

Either way, I wouldn't get a nosebleed over it - my kids will figure it all out on their own, and they won't be raised to hate anyone, no matter what their schools decide is important.

I have an issue with this because I feel it is a effort to indocrinate

children to a lifestyle. That lifestyle is a chioce that is better left up to adults,not children.

With the ever increasing efforts of the school system to keep any type of offensive material AKA the politically correct movement ,from infecting our kids a gay pride day seems out of line .

There is a always stories about how schools can't have a christmas tree or menoira (sp?) and last Halloween a school banned witch costumes as not offend the Wickens!

It seems a like this issue is being passed off as teaching kids to be tolerant , I don't buy it one bit.

I could care less if someone is gay or not.

Just try to have a hertro sexual pride day and see how fast the school system puts a stop top it.

Originally posted by Tarhog

I see stuff like this as more about using kids to make a political point than really trying to 'educate'. I'd have NO problem with doing this at a High School. That age group is dealing with its sexuality, and its an appropriate topic. Younger kids shouldn't be forced to 'confront' anything, heterosexual or otherwise.

Either way, I wouldn't get a nosebleed over it - my kids will figure it all out on their own, and they won't be raised to hate anyone, no matter what their schools decide is important.

I can see why people would be pissed at teaching elementary students about gay pride. Personally, I find nothing wrong with it, but I can see where others can view it differently. I'm not advocating an introduction to sex or anything, but just a basic introduction to the fact that some kids have two mommy's or two daddy's and that's O.K.

Archived