Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup

Om

Two more days. I'm stoked. And I understand Andres Cantor cleaned out the throat-lozenge shelves at his local CVS. Bring it on ...

FYI, today's USA Today has a schedule for each and every game of the Cup, and it looks like Univision will be televising just about everything ESPN and ABC don't. They're even repeating games on delay so people who aren't Nighthawks (ahem) can see them by the light of day.

I recommend grabbing up a copy of said McRag ... it's also got a nice piece on young DaMarcus Beasley.

As far as who reaches the final, I'm a firm believer that the World Cup is as effective at separating the wheat from the chaff as any sporting event out there. There are rarely any truly big surprises. Even France last time, when you think about it; that was no Cinderella team, it was damn good going in. First time winners are rare, though, so I can understand why some casual fans of the game were surprised.

I'm very interested in seeing what Brazil does early. No question, the turmoil they've been going through, and the angst we keep hearing about among their faithful, is unprecedented in my lifetime. To me, that's as big a story as there is in this Cup.

Beyond that, I'll get a better sense after seeing the heavies play a game or two. I didn't get to see enough real qualifiers to get much of a sense of where France, Argentina, Germany, England, Italy, etc. really are. But if I had to put my money down today, my guess is that your final four will include 2 or 3 of those teams.

As to the rest, I might look for a dark horse out of Africa (don't say it -- it's just an expression) to crash the party; Nigeria, Cameroon if they can get their act together internally ... and perhaps someone will do like Croatia did in '98 and ride a wave to the final four. Portugal is a trendy pick, but who knows ...

A la lucha!

With the coming of age, comes responsibility, which for me has meant, a career, Marriage and two children, all of which have cut into my time of channel surfing and catching everything under the sun that has to do with sports, especially soccer.

I have no clue who the favorites are this year, and since I didn't watch the qualifiers I have nothing to go on but history. I'm pulling for my favorites as always, but as in years past I just hope for some good matches regardless of who advances.

Give me drama, intrigue, turmoil, controversy, and some brilliant "I can't believe he did that" goals and I'll be happy!

Maybe the hand of God will come into play again this year!

Let the games begin!

re: the African teams, I think it would have to be Cameroon if one was going to make some noise. Nigeria got a tough draw with Argentina and England in their group, Cameroon will have to beat out Ireland, but Ireland is in a bit of controversy at the moment, although their coach seems to think they are better off without Keane. I personally don't see Senegal or South Africa doing much.

As of this morning, a total of three (3) -- as in one more than two (2) -- people have signed up to play the World Cup Challenge in Yomar's group. As one (1) of said three (3), I am sanguine about my chances of making the final four.

Maybe NavyDave is right after all. :gus:

Anyone else interested in a bit 'o friendly international competition? Anyone?

Bueller?

Where the three (3) of us are hangin'

Name of the "group": Redskin Fans Futbol

Alrighty, I'm in, but I can't find the group. For some reason when I do the search, nothing changes on the list of groups. Of course the groups are alphabetical either...grumble grumble grumble...gripe gripe gripe :mad:

I'll try another browser.

Originally posted by Nighthawk

!

Maybe the hand of God will come into play again this year!

If it does, I hope the referee catches the cheating Argentinian this time and sends him off. The English have already had enough bad luck with injuries for that to happen again. Steven Gerrard out with a groin injury is a big blow, he was and is a world class player.

The English need to beat Argentina and finish first in their group otherwise they'll get France in the next round and be defeated.

The Irish will undoubtedly miss Roy Keane, the best player in the English Premiership and therefore one of the best midfield players in the world. I'd take Cameroon to do well in that group.

As for America's hopes, I hope they don't rely on Claudio Reyna's confidence or goalscoring form because neither will be high after a disasterous season with Sunderland.

Maradona is a piece of $hit...ugh, he makes me sick. If I saw him walking down the street I'd shoot him. What a punk.

That said, I too am pumped about the world cup. I'm planning on calling in sick tomorrow and letting my kid stay home from school. It only comes around every four frickin' years!

Hopefully Mathis will be able to contribute. His work ethic needs to improve, but he has all the talent in the world.

I want to see England knock off Argentenia, although I doubt it will happen...We should get into a war with Argentenia and nuke them back to the stone age...oh yeah, they're already in it. Did I mention Argentenia sucks?

AS much as I don't expect the Irish to do much in the WOrld CUp, atleast they said enough to Keane (sp?). I hope the Skins would have enough class to say "enough is enough we don't care how tallented you are" if one of their players got that spoiled.

Damn Orange, I haven't seen such enmity against Argentina since the last Falklands Reunion Bash at Union Jack's Pub. What, did some smooth-talking gaucho steal a girl from you once or something? :)

Hyperbole Alert!

I haven't been to Argentina in 25 years, but I do know that I survived the hinchada at a couple of games when I lived there, even though my Dad insisted I leave the Uzi home ( :) ), and that was even against the backdrop of Montoneros (bad people) being known for snatching up gringos for potential ransom at the time.

The biggest concern I'd have if I went back today wouldn't be going to soccer games, it would be whether or not I'd happen to get caught in the street when a massive riot broke out over the political/ecomonic crisis erupting as we speak. It's getting real, REAL ugly down there.

The World Cup may provide a welcome respite ... assuming their team doesn't get bounced early. If it does, look for scenes of burning cars and such in downtown Buenos Aires on your evening news.

Down goes France! Down goes France!

I don't have them getting very far anyway. Now i just need somebody else to beat tham so they don't make it out of the first round. I guess the loss of Zidaine is huge for them. Shocking.

Archived