Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook Update

wildbill

http://www.football.com/cgi-bin/posters/printPost.cgi?category=nflfeature1&at=nfl1.shtml

Michael Westbrook – Although he will not be cut on June 1st because he is already a free agent, Westbrook will be affected by the cuts that come down in June at the receiver position. What can we say about this guy? He is an enigma. Each year every scout and coach says he has pro bowl talent yet each season he gets injured or just under performs. We used to pass that off to his youthfulness but he is no longer a young man by NFL standards. This off-season may be a wake up call to Mr. Westbrook as no one has shown real interest in him as a free agent. If he lands with another team he will need to reclamate his image and turn potential in production. He is a physical receiver who has deceptive speed but the injury bug will, and has, stopped teams from aggressively making offers to him. The Jaguars could be first in line to add him since they could possibly land him at an attractive price and since they are looking to add a veteran opposite Jimmy Smith. Baltimore could follow suit and try to add him with a low salary. Westbrook’s value will increase once some of the other June 1st cuts at the wide out spot are signed. It’s a classic case of supply and demand. If receivers like McCardell and Freeman get signed, then teams do not want to be shut out and will be more willing to take a chance in signing Westbrook because his upside would be higher then anyone else left on the market. Atlanta and possibly New England could be two other spots where Westbrook may eventually try to restart his career.

Predicted Destination: Jacksonville Jaguars

------------------------------------------

Nothing really new but I figured since we haven't had a Westbrook thread in over a week we were way overdue.

Let's not and say we did. I think a change of scenery would be best for all concerned in regards to Westbroken.

Like a lot of other folks, I was enamored of his "upside" and kept thinking "this is the year he breaks out". Well, I think he broke out that one playoff year he was healthy with Norv and the #'s weren't all that spectacular...good, but not spectacular. Certainly not worth a #4 pick and all the $$$ he was paid.

He may prove me wrong with another team, especially one with a good #1 reciever. But I just don't see it happening here.

Since the Redskins have said Westbrook will not be back, he to my mind is irrelevant.

If he goes to Jacksonville or Oakland and puts up some decent numbers, good for him.

We are moving on, trying to find that combination of #1 and #2 receivers that is going to produce a CONSISTENT passing attack.

And I trust that since that is Spurrier's area of expertise that this will happen sooner rather than later.

It is interesting that a passing game guru like Spurrier only has lukewarm interest in Westbrook.

That is like Bill Walsh not liking a particular quarterback or Marvin Lewis not liking a particular linebacker.

It usually means the guy isn't worth the jack to sign him :)

Yeah, Bulldog. I just don't understand the folks that keep repeating, "if he's going to sign for minimum, he may as well stay."

It's not up to him at this point. The "die" has been cast in his regard. He's not wanted. Period.

Finally, thank God!

This quote from today's WP article, to me, has some subliminal messaging re: Westbrook. Sure, I'm reading way between the lines, but Hey, I like Westbrook and think he would make this team better. Sorry, but to totally piss Art off "he Just would."

"These receivers are very good," Spurrier said yesterday. "I think they're going to be productive. I don't think we need to go out and get one, although if one shows up, we might sign him."

If one shows up??? Hmmmmm. Maybe a silent calls for Mr. Westbrook to make an appearance at a voluntary camp?? Hmmmm...maybe.

Okay it's a reach.

I would like to see Dallas sign him for around the minimum. Rocket's salary takes a big jump next year and I think Westbrook has the ability to put up a few 1,000 yd seasons. I really think Westbrook would have had a lot more production last year if Banks was not locked on to Gardner all the time. If he isnt hurting the salary cap, he is worth the risk IMO.

I agree that he's physically talented.

I agree that he's been a disaster here.

I agree that he needs a change of scenery.

Frankly, of all the teams that need WR's, Westy fits best in the systems in KC and Baltimore and Minny. He might work out in NE. Ironically, he'd both fit a need and would (at least last year) have fit in in San Diego under Norv, but Schotty won't want him. Everyone else is a WCO-based system that plays to a skill he lacks: disciplined route running.

Originally posted by MarkPSkins

"These receivers are very good," Spurrier said yesterday. "I think they're going to be productive. I don't think we need to go out and get one, although if one shows up, we might sign him."

If one shows up??? Hmmmmm. Maybe a silent calls for Mr. Westbrook to make an appearance at a voluntary camp??

I took that to mean that Spurrier has eyed a few WRs currently under contract to other teams -- WRs who might be June 1 cuts. I also took that to be a negotiating ploy to downplay the Redskin need for a WR, so the team can sign whoever they get for the vet minimum or close to it. I'm betting that the team is trying to get a WR at below market value, based on the that receiver's desire to play for Spurrier and the perception that the team is not desperate to sign a WR.

I think Spurrier learned from sticking his foot in his mouth about Matthews when Matthews was still under contract with the Bears. That caused months of prolonged wrangling, because the Bears tried to exploit Spurrier's hunger for Matthews. You won't see Spurrier name a lot of individual names in the future, or be too enthusiastic about those players when he does discuss them. Unlike college recruiting, shooting your mouth off in the NFL ends up costing you money.

Now my prediction.

Westbrook signs with Detroit for a good yearly contract, small bonus.

Outside interest are Texas, who will wait until the absolute last minute to diminish Westbrook's leverage - afterall Charley Casserly brought him to the Skins.

#2 and #3 outside interest - Dallas and Arizona

Originally posted by bulldog

Since the Redskins have said Westbrook will not be back, he to my mind is irrelevant.

If he goes to Jacksonville or Oakland and puts up some decent numbers, good for him.

We are moving on, trying to find that combination of #1 and #2 receivers that is going to produce a CONSISTENT passing attack.

And I trust that since that is Spurrier's area of expertise that this will happen sooner rather than later.

It is interesting that a passing game guru like Spurrier only has lukewarm interest in Westbrook.

That is like Bill Walsh not liking a particular quarterback or Marvin Lewis not liking a particular linebacker.

It usually means the guy isn't worth the jack to sign him :)

Let's not forget that they said they didn't want Shane Matthews either, then went and got him. Spurrier had only luke warm interest there, too. If he comes cheap, bring him back. He has always had POTENTIAL, he just hasn't lived up to it.

Originally posted by indyskinsfan

Now my prediction.

Westbrook signs with Detroit for a good yearly contract, small bonus.

That's possible, but if Detroit or anyone was going to offer MW a good yearly contract, why wouldn't they have done so by now?

He's going to be playing for near-minimum with no guaranteed money.

rtandler,

My thinking is the pool will dry up rapidly when the best FA's available show up after June 1. When that well dries up, Westbrook will either be in a "mini" bidding war or ask for something that won't have a team ticked off on bonus money, and some outrageous sum.

To compensate for the drastic drop in his compensation, I believe he will seek a "better" than average (vet minimum) sum. Then if he does somehow squeeze out a bonus from anyone it will be in the 200,000 to 300,000 range.

Of course, if he can't get that, like you're saying, he will not come back to the Skins, I believe.

Archived