Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Snatch

Atlanta Skins Fan

(The movie) If had been the other kind, that's never OT. :cheers:

I posted a review recently panning Star Wars: Episode II. I got a lot of flak from folks who said in effect -- come on, it's mindless entertainment, it's a comic book, who needs writing, who needs acting, etc. etc.

Well, I just saw Snatch -- another movie that's also mindless entertainment. The difference was, this movie had great plot, writing, direction, acting, cinematography, music and editing. Sure, it's a comic book movie, but it's a great comic book movie.

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend trying to find the DVD or some way where you can watch it twice and rewatch scenes. I recorded it off DirecTV onto Tivo, which allowed me to watch the movie twice and replay key sequences. This movie is unbelievably dense with plot, characters, action and almost indecipherable dialogue, so it's great to have a few chances to get it all straight.

Great film. By the way, I see that the DVD version is a special edition with well-praised director's commentary and making-of documentary. It's got to be worth the $22.49 that Amazon is charging for it.

I posted a review recently panning Star Wars: Episode II. I got a lot of flak from folks who said in effect -- come on, it's mindless entertainment, it's a comic book, who needs writing, who needs acting, etc. etc.

Well, it's one thing to say you don't care for a movie. It's quite another to claim it marks the end of civilization as we know it. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you found a movie you liked. Personally, I found it unwatchable. Then again, I won't get on your case for liking it. ;)

I too enjoyed Snatch - the movie. ;) I haven't seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, but I've heard that it's also very good and of the same genre.

And I too thought that Clones was the way overrated product of the new corporate Hollywood's focus upon moneymaking rather than art.

Wierd coincidence. I just finished watching the movie during lunch break - though it was my third viewing :) I will definitely buy the DVD. "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" came recommended to me years ago from a friend... and while I was pleasantly surprised... I still enjoyed "Snatch" more.

Though I must say... it always creeps me out to see Brad Pitt in flicks. I have a university buddy who looks very similar to Brad Pitt... but has the EXACT same mannerisms, ideosyncracies and character that Brad Pitt displays in the roles - applies to every flick.

And would you believe I also have a buddy that looks and acts exactly like Keanu Reeves. Strange world.

I dug Snatch also. Better than the typical formulated b.s. that seems so prevalent these days.

Another twisted dark British flick I liked was Shallow Grave. Not mindless comedy though (admittedly, a bit slow at times); more of a twisted sick drama, but way better than the American ripoff "A Simple Plan"

redman, the Star Wars films are all independant films. Lucas finances them himself. In 1977 he refused to compromise with any Hollywood studio and has never looked back. This is obvious right away as there are NO credits whatsoever at the beginning of any of his movies. No major studio would allow that.

And Lucas is loaded. If memory serves, he's worth well over $2 billion. He doesn't need money, so I doubt he's making these movies solely for profit. Star Wars is his art. Like it or don't like it, but Lucas is anything but a sell-out.

One dumb question the movie left me with: why can't they just cut the cable to Franky Four Fingers's briefcase, instead of cutting off his arm?

Also, this movie (along with several others, such as Fight Club) is a good answer to anyone who thinks Brad Pitt is a no-talent Hollywood pretty boy. The guy is very versatile, very funny, and simply moves well. I'd like to wake up one day and spend a year as Brad Pitt.

The movie is packed with great performances. Standouts in addition to Pitt are Alan Ford as Brick Top (who owns every scene he's in), Vinnie Jones as Bullet Tooth Tony, and Dennis Farina as Avi. But all the performances are great. There are almost no female roles, but one of them stands out -- I loved the counter girl at the bookie joint as she stares down a pump shotgun (which gets ****ed too many times, but hey).

This movie should have been named "Balls", not "Snatch". Every scene is an over-the-top black comedy about who's got the biggest balls in the room.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

I'd like to wake up one day and spend a year as Brad Pitt.

Yeah, so would I, if only to get a chance to bang Jennifer Aniston like a cheap drum every night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :pimp: :pimp: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I'm confused since on the Spice channel there was a movie called Snatch :rolleyes:

Is it along the lines of the flick called Staff? :laugh:

I'm disappointed about the cancellation of Dark Angel since there wont be a victoria secret scence to drool over.

Oh well there is always Charmed reruns

I liked both Lock, Stock ..." and "Snatch" a lot. Both were very "Tarantinoish" IMHO, which I tend to like. Interesting dialogue and offbeat mixture of violence and humor. Unconventional continuity and various points of views throughout.

Good stuff.

Along the lines of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, I'd recommend the movie Boondock Saints, the movie is really funny and it has all the violence you need. It even has Willim Dafoe as a Gay FBI agent who dances around listening to classical music, as well as the wrestler Mankind(i think, im not too familiar with wrestling but my friend is and he said it was famous wrestler, as thug(funny thug).

Henry, you're of course correct about Lucas' "independence", at least ostensible independence. I'm aware of what you wrote and was speaking generically.

However, he's far from independent in reality. He has action figures to market, fast food promotions to support, theme park rides, shampoo, etc., etc., etc. I'm sorry but he's just not turning out the same inspired quality product. And the fact that he's making sequels that seem like cheap rehashes of his original films and themes, and is making HUGE money off of them and the related merchandising, is indicative of the new Hollywood, which he helped to create.

Originally posted by eselwyn

Along the lines of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, I'd recommend the movie Boondock Saints, the movie is really funny and it has all the violence you need. It even has Willim Dafoe as a Gay FBI agent who dances around listening to classical music, as well as the wrestler Mankind(i think, im not too familiar with wrestling but my friend is and he said it was famous wrestler, as thug(funny thug).

Dude you stole my thunder!! I was just about to suggest Boondock Saints!! Its a very cool movie. I dont remember Mankind being in the movie though.

Archived