Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Optimist, The Pessimist, and The Realist

Ax

An optimist, a pessimist, and a realist are trying to cross the street. A car is approaching the intersection. The optimist says, “I can make it, no problem.” The pessimist says, “I’ll never make it. I’ll just step off the curb and get ready.” The realist says, I could probably make it, but I think it’s safer to just wait for the crossing sign to say it’s ok, make sure that all the traffic comes to a stop like it’s supposed to, and then cross the road.

The optimist, ignoring the “Don’t Walk” sign takes off. Almost immediately he realizes he may have screwed up. With an extra gear only available during times of panic, or police pursuit, he uses all the speed he can muster and narrowly reaches the other side.

The driver, a middle-aged white American male, (for the PC folks) having had to swerve to keep from hitting the optimist, plows into the pessimist who, also ignoring the “Don’t Walk” sign, was standing several feet off the curb in the road, killing him instantly.

The realist stands there and says, “Damn if both of them weren’t right!”

“That’s a wonderful story. What’s your point?”

I don’t know. It’s just with all the discussions we have around here concerning our favorite football team, a lot of people seem to be confused about what the differences are between an optimist, a pessimist, and a realist. So, I thought I’d give an explanation. The way I see it.

The optimist, and I clearly fall into this category when it comes to my Redskins, chooses to believe that things will work out this year, and every year.

Gibbs is God. Ramsey will go to the pro bowl. We don’t need another receiver. We’ll be fine without Pierce and Smoot. Etc…

We’re not afraid to be called a homer. Or at least we shouldn’t be. We're proud of it. We wear the Burgundy & Gold glasses because we’re not afraid to lose, to be wrong, or to be let down. We don’t want the worst to happen. We don’t like it if it does happen. But we’re not afraid of it either. However unlikely the good stuff happening may seem to others, we know that all things are POSSIBLE, and we CHOOSE to see it that way. It’s that simple. It’s a high risk-high reward point of view. If we’re right, then we’re clairvoyant. We just “knew” it would happen.

We’ll throw out a bunch of “I knew it all along’s” but mainly we’re so giddy about winning we’d rather enjoy the feeling while it lasts. If we’re wrong, we’re wrong. We have a thousand excuses as to why it happened if we don’t like the facts. Instead of, “We just weren’t good enough,” it was, "the injuries, officials, karma, etc…" We'll cry in our beer a little. Then we start all over again.

“Just wait ‘til next year.”

The pessimist, having been let down too often in the past, becomes fearful of risking his/her heart after having it broken.

So it's, We suck. Snyder sucks. Our receivers are too small. We’re gonna regret letting that guy go, etc…

It’s the easier way out. There is no risk involved in being a pessimist. If you’re wrong, just like the optimist, there are usually a thousand excuses you can come up with to explain it, if facts don’t exist. "The other teams sucked this year, or this team had too many injuries, we just got lucky," etc… Plus, you get to revel in the winning, and like I said, us homers are too giddy about winning to give you much grief.

But if you’re right, God help us. The “I told you so's” could circle the Earth a hundred times. Being pessimistic is a low risk – high reward point of view.

“I’m just being a realist” is thrown around sometimes by the optimists. But mainly it is used by the pessimists. Well, they are wrong. Being a pessimist is a choice just like being an optimist is a choice. You shouldn’t deny it. You should embrace it. It’s who you are. You have a negative view about certain things and you shouldn’t be afraid to admit it. But you are NOT being a realist.

The realist should be self explanatory.

re-al-ism n 1: the disposition to face facts and to deal with them practically.

Opinions are not facts. So giving an opinion is not being realistic. It is either an optimistic one, or pessimistic one, but it’s only an opinion. A choice made by the individual. Neither side knows if they are right or wrong until after the fact. You can think, believe, hope, pray, or make as much of an educated-degree of possibility-over analyzed-guess as you want. It's still just an opinion.

The realists knows, however likely or unlikely something appears to be, that ANYTHING can happen. So they'll just sit back, watch and listen to the rest of us bicker back and forth, and when asked, "So, what do y'all think will happen?" They'll just say, "How the hell would we know."

Anyway, I’m rambling. Not meaning to criticize anybody. If you’re an optimist, so be it. If you’re a pessimist, that’s fine too. But don’t deny who you are. Debate requires both points of view. Just be honest about what you are.

And keep it real. :D

Optimist: Clint Longley?:laugh:Yeah right.

Pessimist: :paranoid: "I don't know man. I've seen him do some things."

Realist: :cry:

Or

Pessimist::cuss: "This game's over. 14-0 Carolina. Let's try to beat the traffic."

Optimist: But LaVar could pick off a pass and take it in for a touchdown and spark us on to victory.":panthersu

Realist: :thumbsup:

Oh, you got a better one

That's a wonderful story, but what's your point? :D

I think breaking "realist" out from the group invites shades of gray. For example, I consider myself a realist with an optimistic slant. :)

Take for example the Brunell scenario. I was not so much a backer of Brunell as I was a backer of Gibbs. Why? Realistically, there were so many more things wrong with the offense than just Brunell. Optimistically, I fell under the "Gibbs can't be wrong" category.

Our current wide receiver corps. Realistically, we've signed up two playmakers that have a proven ability to run routes and gain separation, and should add a very positive dimension to our offense next year. Optimistically, **** yeah we're gonna win some ball games next year.

So... whereas pessimist and optimist tend to psychologically be two separate and distinct categories, the title of "realist" can be claimed by both. I guess. I think that makes sense... :paranoid:

I think my feelings/emotions run the gammut..at times im an optimist, at other times a pessimist..mixed with moments of the realist.

When it comes to the skins I tend to lean towards being the optimist..thinking this is going to be our year..or it can happen every year, after losing key guys I think we can still be good *lol* then some modicum of reality sets in and says...well we'll probably be 8-8 or 9-7.

But I can't see being a fan and being a total pessimist about your team..what is the point?

Ah yes. The age old quesion. halffull.jpg

:slap: Very funny. Now. About the thread.

Oh. Right. The thread. Well...ummmmm it was a good read and it had some valid points.

:doh: Such as bonehead?

I do agree with what was said about realists. It seems as though, ( sometimes), that if one does not share a "negative" opinion about things then the "realist" must step in and educate the "optimist" about "reality" or at least their definition of it.

:cool: That's better .

I'm like you though. Not criticizing at all. I enjoy the broad number of differing opinins here and that really is what makes things fun at times.

Realist.....

Our offense was ranked 30th last year....it will only get better.

Realist.....

Our leading receiver only caught 1 TD pass last year.

Realist.....

Portis ran for 1,300 yards in an offense that barely scored 10 points per game.

Result: even a pessimist would realize that there is nothing that will keep our offense performing worse that last year.

I for one am ready for the season to get rolling.:point2sky

definitely a realist, though with the optimistic hint as well, only as they are my team. I will always sit through a game, grudgingly leave one for a little, and will always find the good of our team. Right now, our offense has talent, we could become a decent west-coast style team, and with our speed, we can still stretch. I also think that 3 starters on the line that every team would want makes our line good, even if their play sucked. I just think the problem is mental, we need time to build camaraderie. Defensive wise, I dont think we'll have a problem, but realistically, our secondary may be a little suspect next season.

Archived