Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys draft board (player rankings) revealed

Some Cowboy fan has analyzed a large photo in Sports Illustrated showing Larry Lacewell seated in front of the Cowboys' draft board. He claims to have been able to decipher the Cowboys draft ranking of every player they thought was worth drafting or acquiring as a UDFA.

Since the Cowboys had such a good draft, this ranking (if accurate) deserves some consideration. Looking at the Skins picks from a Cowboy perspective, it looks like we got no "steals" in the draft (players drafted below their Cowboy ranking). The following players were drafted roughly at the Cowboy ranking:

Patrick Ramsey

Cliff Russell

Rock Cartwright

Interestingly, those three players are probably the Skins rookies with the most positive "buzz" right now.

The following players were drafted higher than the Cowboy rankings (Cowboy draft round ranking in parentheses):

#2 Ladell Betts (#5)

#3 Rashad Bauman (UDFA)

#5 Andre Lott (UDFA)

The following players were not identified on the Cowboy board, which could mean they were deemed unworthy even of an UDFA acquisition, or could mean their names were illegible or blocked from view:

#5 Robert Royal

#6 Reggie Coleman

#7 Jeff Grau

#7 Gregory Scott

One comment on Bauman, taken in the same 3rd round as Russell: as many have noted, Bauman was torched by Russell in their one head-to-head game. Despite that, the Skins took them both, in the same round. The Cowboys had Bauman as an UDFA.

Obviously we can't draw any conclusions from these rankings, as the players haven't even started training camp. It could be that the Skins have better scouts than the Cowboys. But the disparity in rankings of Betts, Bauman and Lott should be stored away for future reference, along with the concurrence on Ramsey, Russell and Cartwright. We may learn something about whose scouting department is better.

Here's the link to the draft board:

http://www.mvptalk.com/cgi-bin/cowboystalk/bbs.cgi?az=show_thread&omm=0&om=2695&forum=f1

I wouldnt even know where to start with the Cowboy 1st and 2nd round reaches the past 5 or 6 years. I mean seriously, is there a team that has gotten less from the top of their draft then the Cowboys? Just off the top of my head, I think of reaches like Quincy Carter, Tony Dixon, Dwayne Goodrich, Kavika Pittman, Ebanezeer Scrooge and Joe Galloway and Joey Galloway. No that is not a typo. He counts twice. Just think, the Cowboys could have Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson instead.

The boys are the last draft board in the league that I would use to judge my picks. :puke:

Now let's look at our 1st and 2nd rounders: Gardner, Smoot, Arrington, Samuels, Jansen, Bailey, Alexander, (ie) the core of our team right now minus Alexander (who has been to the Pro Bowl). So this is what I say to our scouting department :notworthy

The Cowboys (apparently) had a good draft. Ours was (apparently) not as good, but most commentators gave us kudos for it. Fine. That just means that the Cowboys:

1) finally got their act together for the draft for once (again, apparently), and

2) the expectations for their draft picks are higher than for ours.

Time will tell.

Keep in mind that there's still some controversy over whether by rights the pokes should have been charged with one of the most monumental blunders in the history of the NFL draft.

I'm referring to their apparent failure to complete the first-round trade within the time allowed, and the league's inadequently explained decision to allow the pokes to complete the swap.

The only player the cowpokes drafted that was on my I want list was Gurode.

The skins draft has grown on me to an extent because we have players in front of the draftees gives the kids a year or so to be ready to step in an a cost that gives us lots of cap space.

The only player the cowpokes drafted that was on my I want list was Gurode.

So are you saying you wouldn't want Roy Williams or Antonio Bryant?

I think everyone has to admit that the Cowboys FINALLY had a good draft without Jimmy. However, only time will tell if they really did. I don't know that you can take one team's board and use it to compare another team's draft. Everyone has an opinion on college players and in the end luck is more important than skill when predicting who will be good and who won't.

Bryant is a headcase, Williams is a safety, and Gurode's stock dropped from mid first round to mid second round in a matter of weeks. I'm grabbing at straws here, but only time will tell.

Looking back, I personally would not want Williams, because we have Ohalate, who is currently our number one safety. I wouldn't want Bryant, because he is big and cut from the mold of Rod Gardner, whom some of us think does not fit well into SS's offense. I wanted Gurode, but hey, what can ya do?

from OrangeSkin :

Bryant is a headcase, Williams is a safety, and Gurode's stock dropped from mid first round to mid second round in a matter of weeks. I'm grabbing at straws here, but only time will tell.

Looking back, I personally would not want Williams, because we have Ohalate, who is currently our number one safety. I wouldn't want Bryant, because he is big and cut from the mold of Rod Gardner, whom some of us think does not fit well into SS's offense. I wanted Gurode, but hey, what can ya do?

Sour Grapes hehehe

The fact is, the first 3 players Dallas selected were rated higher than Patrick Ramsey. Roy Williams, Antonio Byrant and Andre Gurode are more skilled at their position, they have more talent and upside, and where more productive during their collegiate careers.

You can spin their draft rising and falling any which way you want. The fact remains that Williams, Gurode and Bryant were better collegiate players than Patrick Ramsey.

The only way Redskins draft can be any better than the Dallas draft if is Ramsey, Betts and Bauman become All-Pros and our picks totally collapse.

Who has a better chance.

Bryant is a headcase

I wouldn't say he is a headcase. He argued with his coaches about getting the ball more (which is wrong) but that makes him selfish not a headcase. When you compare his college problems with that or - say Lavar Arrington - he hardly can be considered a headcase.

As for Williams, I think 98% of NFL fans would choose him over Ohalate (que se me hore pronto). Perhaps you wouldn't and that is fine, we all have opinions.

But as of today, I would take Dallas' draft over the Skins' without any hesitation. But we'll see...

look the Cowboys finished 5-11 last year and had the #6 pick in the draft. By definition, if their front office knows what it is doing the system is SET UP for them to have a better draft than the Redskins who finished 8-8 and picked lower in each round. :)

So, to a point this argument is as ridiculous as the one in 2000 when the Redskins had the #2 and #3 picks and selected two pro bowlers in Arrington and Samuels.

The Cowboys draft that year didn't yield any players that came close to these two, nor SHOULD IT HAVE.

The Cowboys would have to have been geniuses and the Redskins idiots for the Skins to not come out of that draft with the overall advantage.

That said, I think you take each year on its own merits. Could the Redskins draft have been better THIS year?

Yes, I think so. I think Snyder could have trusted Spurrier to find a quarterback among the group of Matthews, Wuerffel and Rosenfels and not use the #1 pick on a player likely to ride the pine for 1 or 2 years.

In round 2, I would not have taken a back that has limited big play capability and seems to be a between the tackles runner. Usually you can find this type of player in rounds 4 and 5.

In round 3, I have some questions about taking a sub 5'8 corner in Bauman. Guys his size have a real problem in today's NFL with the bigger generation of receivers.

People forget that when Darrell Green entered the NFL in 1983 receivers like Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss didn't exist.

After the Bauman pick?

Who knows? Now, we get into players that few of us have seen play or even heard of. Whether Rock Cartwright makes it as the #3 or #4 back, who can tell?

Ditto for Greg Scott and Andre Lott, certainly not household names.

Taking a long-snapper in Grau might have seemed premature as at 245 and without a regular position he was likely going to be a UDFA the Skins could have signed cheaply.

So, I have my questions about this draft. Would I have done it differently? Yes.

I think overall we should have been looking a lot more closely at players that were ready to step in and play.

We gave up picks that yielded the Raiders a potential starter in Buchanan and the Patriots a potential starter in Graham. In return we got Ramsey, who looks as if he needs a lot of work and some later picks, Rusell and Royal, who MAY be contributors at some future point.

Meanwhile in round 2 we could have moved up and taken a starting linemen in Fonoti, Gurode or Weaver....players that were by all indications late first round talents in this draft.

instead we settled for a player in Betts that everyone else said, 'who's that?' after he was selected.....................

Ahhh...The draft..revisited.

My question is this. Do some of you still feel we should have taken a guard with our first round pick? Is it really possible for a guy to come in his first year and play on the same level as established guys who have a few years under their belt? I'm not saying it's not possible, actually an OG would probably be the most likely position to come in and contribute immediately. But just because a guy can pancake the hell out of somebody in college doesn't mean he's going to come into the NFL and start throwing DTs around. I think this position is more adequately filled via free agency. Not to mention, as has been said countless times on this board, how can you afford to pay three O-linemen big bucks?

I think Ladell Betts is going to surprise some people. I believe he's going to be a more productive third down back than K-Carter was. This guy is cut from the mold of Steven Davis.

And you gotta love Cliff Russel. Prototypical SS receiver. You can never have too much speed on your team. We now have three very fast receivers. I can't remember when we had so much speed.

I'm still a little confused about the corners. My only guess is trying them out at punt/kick returning and keeping one to take over Darrell's #3 spot, when that inevitable day comes that we're all dreading.

The rest of the picks were toss ups. None of us know enough about any of these guys to give an accurate assessment. If we're lucky, one or two of them will make the team.

Anyway, my point is, sure, I might have changed it up a little bit, but I'm damn sure glad we didn't use our 1 round pick on Gurode, and overall I'm happy with the guys we got. Combine them with our FA pickups, and more are on the way, and I think we've had a great offseason.

F**k Dallas

Archived