Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- Who saw Episode II?

@DCGoldPants

As a Star Wars fan I would give it a ten to other Star Wars fans. Trying to look at it objectively, it had some weak spots and should get about an 8-8.5. It had absolutely the best action/special effects sequences of the entire series and probably the largest amount of it as well. The last 45 mins was worth the 16 year wait alone IMO. In short, absolutely outstanding!

Just saw it myself! :D Definately an 8. Has the same effect that Empire did for Star Wars fans. Had you asking," So. The next one comes out tomorow?". Course, like C.T. and others, I'm Star Wars Fan extrordanair'. :cool: So I'm gonna pleased. Hey C.T. ! Couldn't agree more on that last 45 mins. That was alot to take in! How's a bout the little guy? :notworthy

I just got home from seeing it. Solid 9. The last 1 hour was incredible. Now that was truly a Star WAR. The first in the series that had epic battle scenes. Yoda is a bad a$$ little dude. I laughed my a$$ off in sheer glee during the battle scene. I got to go see it again this weekend after I see 4,5,6 and 1 again with my kids and then go back and see 2.

I loved this one. If you are a true Star Wars fan you'll love it.

The fight scene in the arena sent chills down my back. The site of so many Jedi with light sabers dancing thru the air in arcs of glorious color was truly impressive.

And Lucas did it again, I left the theater wanting more. I can't wait till the next one. To bad they can't clone an army of Jedi master Yoda's:D Should make a yoda smiley face:laugh:

Oh yes, just another thought. Why the hell does Yoda walk with the cane??? He moved around like Speedy Gonzalez:laugh:

Gentleman my rating is not based on comparing this movie to Citizen Cane or Gone with the Wind. I am comparing it to other Sci-Fi classics. This was my favorite Star wars episode.

Yes annie was a ****y little terd. But given the situation, shouldn't he be??? The love story angle wasn't a classic romance.

But how are Luke and Leia suppossed to come about if Annie didn't marry the old queen of the naboo.

After sleeping on it, I still think it was a 9. I keep trying to figure out in my mind do the clones become stormtroopers. And at the end when obiwan is told the truth that he thinks is a lie. I keep thinking the best lie is the truth.

The only part I found hard to believe, was the emperior to be is right under the Jedi's noses. And they can't sense it. I am sure the next episode will clarify the political side of the power struggle better.

On another note, I think episode will be very popular. My daughter would not watch any of the previous episodes with me. But she is in love with young skywalker, and so are all her little friends. She has already printed up his pictures and plastered them all over her walls. And all her little friends want me to take them tomorrow to go see it. Now my daughter WANTS to see all the episodes with me. The first 4 episodes really went after the male demographic. This one brings in the teenage girls to the mix.

I expect this one to be the biggest movie of the summer. I know I will go back a few more times and I know my kids are going to go with and without me. I have to go back just to soak in the last 45-60 mins.

One thing that has me a little confused. I have heard that after episode 3, Lucas wants to make another trilogy. Does anyone know where in the time line will these three go?? Will they start after the return of the jedi or will it be before a new hope the original one?? Any ideas????

If Lord of the Rings is an 8.5, I give this one an 8. Lucas could have cut out a few of the romance scenes in the middle, but that's ok. Special effects and actions scenes were fantastic.

Lucas said in a recent interview that this trilogy is it. He's not planning on doing anymore.

Although I never pay money to go see movies in the theater this one I will, I have always loved Star Wars and this sounds like a must see. I will however make sure that the theater that I am seeing it at is showing it in digital format. There is only one theater in VA that is showing it in digital format and that is the Multiplex in Merrifield(even there of four screens only one is digital). You can check to see if there are any digital screens near you by going to the starwars website. FYI- I read a review on CNN from a guy that saw the movie twice once on digital and once a reg film and he said the digital was a ton better. So I say why settle for anything less.:wave: :joker: :thumbsup:

I say 8.5 I went to bed thinking about it and woke up thinking about it. When that happens, you know its a good movie. Yes, I too thought Anakin was a little brattish, but i suppose that's the point right. I'm not going to rehash what everyone else said, but that last 45 mins is great. It does drag a little in the middle with the story line progressing and Lucas setting the stage for #3, which i think will be so dark and so badass.

I really need to see it again, mainly to soak all the action in again, it comes at you pretty quickly.:cheers:

Well Episode One belongs on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Episode Two was much better. I give it a 6.5. I give Empire an 8.5.

I doubt I'm the only one that found the love scenes rather boring. The dialogue was downright predictable.

For me, it got interesting once Anakin started to feel hatred.

The collosseum scene was half Gladiator, half Clash of the Titans. It was amazing to see so many Jedi, and Yoda's rescue was cool. But, other than that, the scene was rather derivative.

Kudos to Ewan McGregor. He was the glue that held the different episodes of the movie together. He'll be a big-time star.

And thank God that Jar-Jar only had about five lines!

Ok, So I finally saw it.

I can give no more.

I was entertained and never bored. The story was alright, the acting was average and the special effects were $$$

Nothing blew me away though.

Portman v Fisher?

Portman wins baby even without a gold bikini.

Bufford- ditto except for Fisher vs. Portman...the gold bikini clad Leia is the standard by which all other sci-fi babes are measured.

Maybe I need to see it again, but outside of the fantastic special effects, I wasn't floored by this one story-wise.

I expected to see another Darth Maul-type character but I guess Count Dooku = Darth Tyrannus?

All in all I give it a 7 on the strength of the special effects but admit I may be going in expecting too much...my ten year old son loved it!

Well you gotta see this one in digital. I just did with my kids and the special effects were spectacular. I think there were 6 different planets featured and each seemed more beautiful and unique than the others. The digital format was very crisp. And yes I have to vote for Portman. The crtitics need to get off their high horse on this one.

I just saw it. I'll give it a b. It ranks #3 in my book. The first two movies are the best and Episode 3 has a tough job.

this is one better than Return of the Jedi and of course Phantom Menance. Anakin is miscast. Hard to him being Darth

Vader by the end of the next movie.

Loved Yoda.

I'm sorry to rain on this parade of support for the movie, but I have to disagree with all the compliments. It's for several reasons, and my comments apply to both Episodes I and II.

First, the computer graphics are more sophisticated of course than they were during the first three movies. However, there's too much reliance upon them, and often the background looks airbrushed and fake to my eye in a way that didn't happen during the first three movies, ironically enough. True, the droids move better and are photorealistic, but the cities and the landscapes often seem fake.

Frankly, the SFX are waaaaaaaay overdone. Whereas I could buy every special effect in the first three movies as being plausible (of course, buying into the Force and the related mysticism and intuition, etc. to do so), what my eyes are being asked to accept ventures into the totally implausible. The ridiculous acrobatics and free falls in the chase scene at the beginning of Ep 2, and the impossibly fast and sharp maneuvering in the spacecraft among the asteroids also in Ep 2, are just a couple of examples. That didn't happen in Ep's 4-6, even in remarkable scenes like the chase through Endor on the speeders in Return of the Jedi. It all looked humanly possible and even plausible; here, it does not.

Unlike the first three movies, there seems to be a reliance upon SFX to create drama, rather than true character development or plotlines. This suggests to me that these movies are geared towards teens (where, BTW, it's well established that more money is to be made.) But this seems more like a cheap sellout than great moviemaking.

In addition, whereas the first three movies were about adults, and had mature storylines and mature sexual tension between Luke, Leia and Solo, these movies have - at least so far - felt like they're teeny-bopper movies geared towards teens. I was a child when I watched Episodes 4-6, and I'm now a married adult who has seen for the first time Episodes 1 and 2 in the last two months. Ironically, I felt a lot more invested in the major adult characters of Ep's 4-6 as a child than I now do as an adult with the characters in 1 and 2. The characters, the lines, and the plots just don't get me emotionally involved the way that 4-6 did.

Also, while I know it's important to develop, for example, how Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, the movies seem overly obsessed with "explaining" and having everything tie into Episodes 4-6 than it does with having truly creative plot twists and story lines. In essence, the recent movies seem like they're trying to get their alibi's straight, rather then just telling a story. Name one surprise that you've experienced in Episodes 1 and 2, and contrast that with the twists and turns that you were yanked through in even Empire Strikes Back alone. They simply don't compare. (I acknowledge, BTW, that to a certain degree this is an inherent danger with making "prequels"; however, the obsession with having synchronicity between Ep's 4-6 and Ep's 1 and 2 need not exist to this extent.)

In sum, these movies seem to have fallen victim to the same trap that most sequels to successful movies have. They're obsessed with making money. While I can't fault George Lucas for expanding his franchise given how lucrative it continues to be, I can blame those who are falling for it and who thereafter are proclaiming to me that these are great movies. They aren't.

I totally disagree... I just came back from seeing it at a digital projection theater, and I thought it was FANTASTIC. I was so let down by the Phantom Menace, but this was a million times better.

I will VERY briefly touch on one or two things...

1) The action scenes were ridiculously good, and I thought the pacing of the entire movie was excellent, the middle of the movie didnt bother me a bit.

2) The whole Anakin/Padme thing... guys.... they are just kids... that's the whole damn point... yes, there is some brattiness and immaturity... again...that's the point...it works in the storyline...its the source of his weakness..... and please people, Star Wars is and always has been part cheese. Leia and Luke were WEAK, WEAK, actors. Anakin isnt nearly the whiney little b!tch that Luke was, either.

Those two statements were in lieu of a real review.

In short, the most fun I've had at the movies this year, and in my mind, a movie that certainly stands well with the others in the series.

Archived