Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lebanese Government Resigns!

visionary

• Lebanon's pro-Syrian government resigns

Lebanon's pro-Syrian PM resigns

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- In a special speech to Parliament, Lebanon's pro-Syrian prime minister has announced his resignation and that of his government.

The speech, by Prime Minister Omar Karami, was broadcast by Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation.

Karami said he would have won a no-confidence vote scheduled for later in the day, but was resigning to avoid making his government a stumbling block to peace.

"I'm afraid we will have a vacuum in the country," said House Speaker Nabih Berri, who asked for the floor. "I should be allowed to say something." He was not given the floor.

Earlier Monday, tens of thousands of demonstrators defied a ban and poured into Beirut's city center Monday to protest against Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

The opposition has upped its rhetoric in recent days, taking its cue from international pressure -- led by the U.S. and France -- to force Syrian troops from Lebanon following the assassination of former Lebanese PM Rafik Hariri, who staunchly opposed Syria's presence in Lebanon.

"We are asking for Syrian withdrawal," said opposition leader Camille Chamoun of the National Liberation Party, which has helped orchestrate numerous protests in recent days.

"The Syrian occupation forces and their security systems have to go back to Syria.

"We don't want anything against the Syrian people," said Chamoun, whose grandfather, also named Camille Chamoun, was president of Lebanon from 1952-58.

"We are not a nation that likes war. We just want everybody to be on his own side."

An estimated 50,000 people gathered Monday in Beirut's Martyr Square despite an order a day earlier by Lebanon's Interior Ministry for military forces to "use all necessary means" to make sure the demonstrations did not take place.

CNN's Brent Sadler described Monday's protests as non-confrontational.

"There is a standoff that is not in any way tense," he reported. "It is a mild-mannered ... standoff. The army and the police ... have ringed off a very large area in downtown Beirut."

The demonstrations have focused on whether Syria played a role in Hariri's death on February 14.

Since then, thousands of demonstrators have peacefully protested Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

"The free world is really helping Lebanon restore its sovereignty," Chamoun said. "I imagine there is quite a bit of pressure on Syria to leave. I hope they leave in a peaceful way."

Chamoun accused the Lebanese government of taking orders from Syria.

"They have taken over our parliament with making bad elections three times consecutively," he said. "They have taken over power in Lebanon. The people in government in this country are their allies and obey unconditionally any orders from Damascus."

Syria has denied meddling in Lebanese affairs, and the Lebanese government has denied following Syria's lead.

Syrian Cabinet Minister Bouthaina Shaaban denied Sunday that Syria was involved in Hariri's death, despite the U.S. State Department's contention that Syria is a state sponsor of terrorism and that Islamic Jihad, Hamas and Hezbollah operate with Syrian support.

"Syria has never carried out a terrorist attack against anyone," she told CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."

Asked whether Syria was prepared to withdraw its forces from Lebanon, Shaaban said, "Syria has been redeploying its forces from Lebanon long before anybody in the international community asked Syria to do that."

Asked when that "redeployment" might be finalized, she said only that the two countries have "a schedule for the forces to withdraw" but not what that schedule stipulated.

U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, was not impressed.

"I thought those responses were weak," he told CNN. "When she talks about redeployment, it's an excuse for 'no withdrawal.' We know that Syria has housed the terrorists in Damascus for decades."

He added: "I think Syria is in deep trouble, unless they make big changes, and right away."

Specter said the country could face "more sanctions" under the Syrian Accountability Act.

A U.N. team set up to investigate the assassination of Hariri is at work in Beirut.

Syria keeps thousands of troops in Lebanon, left over from their larger deployment after the 1975-90 Lebanese civil war.

U.S. President George W. Bush said this month that Syria was "out of step" with other nations in the Middle East and said the United States would work with other countries to pressure Damascus to remove its troops from Lebanon.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State William Burns met this month with Lebanese Foreign Minister Mahmoud Hammoud, demanding that Syria immediately comply with U.N. Resolution 1559, calling for withdrawal of some 13,000 Syrian troops stationed in Lebanon.

Syria's Shaaban also dismissed a report that Syria and Iran -- which the United States accuses of harboring a nuclear weapons program -- have created a common front against the United States.

Shaaban said the story stemmed from Syria's prime minister, who said in Arabic that "cooperation existed between Syria and Iran for years and will continue to exist."

But that comment was translated poorly into English, said Shaaban, who added that she worked for 10 years as an interpreter and "laughed" when she heard the translation.

"He was not speaking about a military pact," she said.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/28/lebanon.protests/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/4305927.stm

Lebanese ministers resign office

Mr Karami denies any involvement in the attack on Mr Hariri

Lebanon's Prime Minister Omar Karami has announced he and his government are resigning, two weeks after the murder of former PM Rafik Hariri.

The move came as crowds protested in Beirut, calling for Syrian troops to leave the country.

The Lebanese parliament was also debating an opposition-sponsored motion of no-confidence in the government.

"I am keen the government will not be a hurdle in front of those who want the good for this country," Mr Karami said.

"I declare the resignation of the government that I had the honour to head. May God preserve Lebanon."

His announcement came after a break in the parliamentary debate, which was being televised live.

A cheer went up among more than 10,000 protesters who had gathered in Martyrs Square to demand the resignation of the government and the withdrawal of Syrian troops.

They had defied a ban on demonstrations, which Interior Minister Suleiman Franjieh said had been made on the grounds of "supreme national interests".

'Internal affair'

Lebanon's President Emile Lahoud accepted the resignation of the government and asked it to continue in a caretaker capacity, a statement said.

Syria's immediate reaction was non-committal, saying only that it was "an internal affair" for Lebanon.

Protest in pictures

Both Mr Karami's government and the Syrian government have been accused of involvement in the 14 February assassination of Mr Hariri - charges they deny.

Earlier, Mr Karami - who took office after Mr Hariri resigned last year - said those who accused his government of involvement in the killing "committed a grave injustice".

Before the debate opened, MPs observed a minute's silence in memory of Mr Hariri. "I accuse this government of incitement, negligence and shortcomings at the least, and of covering up its planning at the most... if not executing," the attack, said former minister Marwan Hamadeh.

We want to see free and fair elections take place [in Lebanon] this spring

David Satterfield

US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State

Protesters were able to watch the live debate from giant TV screens in Beirut's Martyrs Square. Many had spent the night in the square, wrapped in blankets or under tents, before the ban came into force at 0500 (0300 GMT).

But, despite army checkpoints around the city, people were still able to get to the square throughout the day and the protest was passing off peacefully, said our correspondent.

Many schools and businesses remained shut across the country, following a call by the opposition for a general strike.

Troop withdrawal

Earlier, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State David Satterfield met Lebanese Foreign Minister Mahmoud Hammoud.

He said he reiterated Washington's demand that Syria comply with UN resolution 1559, passed in September, calling for the withdrawal of its troops from Lebanon.

"We want to see free and fair elections take place [in Lebanon] this spring," he said.

The current crisis was sparked by the murder of Mr Hariri

"It's important that steps take place on the ground prior to those elections including the beginning of the implementation of Resolution 1559."

Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa has rejected calls for a full withdrawal from Lebanon, saying this is something not even the Lebanese want.

Damascus said last week that it would draw it troops back from western Lebanon to areas nearer the Syrian border, though it did not specify when.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

Interesting lack of responses from those that lean left.

Why do administration successes always work out that way here on this board?

Bah, it was the same way when the Berlin Wall fell and the Iron Curtain fell.

Claims of "it was inevitable" and that we shouldn't feel superior or think Reagan's policy had anything to do with it.

Despite someone men like Sakharov and Solzenitsyn saying that he had a great impact.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Bah, it was the same way when the Berlin Wall fell and the Iron Curtain fell.

Claims of "it was inevitable" and that we shouldn't feel superior or think Reagan's policy had anything to do with it.

Despite someone men like Sakharov and Solzenitsyn saying that he had a great impact.

Good point

Haven't you learned yet... if something good happens under a Republican Federal Govt., regardless of it's policy, it's a fluke.

If it's under a Democratic Federal Govt., it's a monumental occasion that shall be celebrated with a national holiday and immediately engraved onto the cornerstone block of one of the four Democratic platform pillars... to be rehashed and celebrated whenever possible. :doh:

Let's hope the Lebanese continue to push... and do indeed adopt a democratic govt.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

I honestly felt no policy, regardless the President, would get Syria out of Lebanon. It seemed like something too small on the US's radar to really care about. Islamization is a virus... a sick, evil, twisted virus brought on by people who still live in 8th Century AD and want to force all of us to do the same. Iraq & Syria are a start. Iran is next. I'm finally starting to see what Bush is trying to do and I'm amazed an American President decided to take on this.

The Europeans have no backbone. Spain crumbled and gave an inch at the first sign of resistance. The Islamists will be happy with that inch for now, but I guarantee they'll be back for the other eleven inches just in-time for Spain to turn those Catholic Churches back into Mosques again.

Nick

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

Interesting lack of responses from those that lean left.

Why do administration successes always work out that way here on this board?

I take a wait and see response.

I remeber my history of Latin America and France and Germany- Democracy rarely takes hold the first time around it takes like 1000000000000 X times before it does permenatly.

Originally posted by DarkLadyRaven

I remeber my history of Latin America and France and Germany- Democracy rarely takes hold the first time around it takes like 1000000000000 X times before it does permenatly.

You are going to be waiting a long long time then my lady

Originally posted by Liberty

Does anyone know what the situation is Syria/Lebenon is? History etc. I have no idea, I didn't even know Syria was occupying Lebenon till a few months ago.

This is a good start.

This, too. I never understood why my family left Lebanon until I got older.

Nick

It's not just about Democracy. It's about stifling the spread of Islamization, also and making sure some Wahhabist doesn't make you decide to convert or have your Church turned into a Mosque by the might of his sword. The Arab groups in this country are good about hiding their true intentions and desires, but occasionally slip. Nothing would make them happier than for the West to become an Islamic State.

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

It's not just about Democracy. It's about stifling the spread of Islamization, also and making sure some Wahhabist doesn't make you decide to convert or have your Church turned into a Mosque by the might of his sword. The Arab groups in this country are good about hiding their true intentions and desires, but occasionally slip. Nothing would make them happier than for the West to become an Islamic State.

Nick

Hey we tried to make these people christian during the crusades and that did not work at all. Even thought the islamist back then could have taken Europe- they just stopped at their own middle eastern enclave. Dont know why?

Hey we tried to make these people christian during the crusades and that did not work at all. Even thought the islamist back then could have taken Europe- they just stopped at their own middle eastern enclave. Dont know why?

So... you're saying that makes it ok... ?

It's not just us here in the West. Look at the History of Lebanon and the ME in general. Arabization and Islamization are diseases that need to be stopped. They still think it's 700 AD and are "making up for lost time" so to speak.

The Muslims couldn't have taken Europe. They were driven out of Spain, Sicily and everywhere they were thriving, except Northern Africa. Every nation that has appeased and allowed Islamization to take over has been placed in a dark ages of sorts. Europe will learn if it doesn't wisen up.

There are many reasons why my family and many other Orthodox Christian families left the ME. It just wasn't safe anymore. They came here to be proud Americans and now see the same Arab chickens coming to roost here.

Nick

I think I will rain on the victory parade...

In case we have all forgotten, there continue to be bombings in Iraq on a daily basis. The Shiites, who now hold the majority of power, wish to create an Islamist state. The Kurds will not sit back peacefully if they do not have some of their wants met.

Hold off on the "mission accomplished" talk. It takes years people - years.

Originally posted by du7st

I think I will rain on the victory parade...

In case we have all forgotten, there continue to be bombings in Iraq on a daily basis. The Shiites, who now hold the majority of power, wish to create an Islamist state. The Kurds will not sit back peacefully if they do not have some of their wants met.

Hold off on the "mission accomplished" talk. It takes years people - years.

I don't think anyone is saying Misson Accomplished.

We are saying its a start, just the beginning of something bigger.

Of course though your kind will always rain on the triumph of good people over evil govt's.

I wish I could have read DU (if it was around) in 1989 when the Berlin Wall fell and seen what those loons said then

Archived