Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Golgo-13

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I'm really hoping that Colorado beats San Jose. Not because I like Colorado, but because I would love to see a Colorado/Detroit series. IMHO, that is the best and strongest rivalry in hockey and one of the best in all of sports. Those teams HATE each other. I'll never forget the two goalies dropping their gloves at center ice to duke it out. There has to be some serious hatred for that to go down. What do you guys think?

It would be nice to see at least one or two of hockey's better teams reach the final round. :)

with Carolina and Montreal in the semis in the East the NHL looks like a laughingstock for its regular season where neither team was near the top in points and the Canadiens only clinched a playoff spot with 2 games left........................

that said, the recent history suggests you usually get one good team and one surprise in the finals.

I think Koivu's return helped Montreal to upset Boston, no question. It was an emotional lift like the Lions got from Mike Utley in 1991 in the NFL.

But with or without Koivu Montreal is not an elite or even mid-level team in the NHL and we are seeing that now that the emotion has worn off in round 2.

that game last night was ugly. :doh:

The Hurricanes aren't the strongest team in the league, I realize, but they are building momentum. They've ousted the two-time conference champs (NJ) and beat up on a hot goalie (Theodore) and won both series in 6 games, and rather convincingly down the stretch of each. Toronto and Ottawa are slugging it out in a hard-fought, 7-game series that could very well take some steam out of the eventual winner, giving Carolina an edge in the first two games at home.

I would love to see them make it to the finals where I imagine they would get pummelled by the Red Wings ... but that would be OK. This is the farthest they been as a franchise, they've got Raleigh ... no ... the entire state of NC buzzing about hockey, the ESA is filled and rockin' most nights.

So, no, they aren't the best team in the NHL. Probably not even in the Eastern Conference. But they are proving they have a lot of heart and are far from a laughinstock.

Just ask NJ or Montreal. :)

The Hurricanes to me look a lot like the 1998 Caps that made the Finals when all the top seeds got upset.

You couldn't blame the Caps, who merely took care of business and beat the competition in front of them, but when it came to facing Detroit in the Finals the magic carpet ride was over, the talent gap was just too much to overcome.

I think the 'Canes have had a memorable season for a recently moved and reconstituted squad. One to build on for sure.

They are being propelled on by some playoff savvy veterans like Francis and hopefully their younger players are taking notes on how they have to play in the postseason during their careers to be successful.

That said, I can see the Wings or Avalance or whomever comes out of the West winning 4-0 or 4-1 in the Finals.

The talent gap between East and West is just that great.

The analogy to the NBA is an accurate one. The Nets and Celtics are far too young and inexperienced to beat the Lakers or even the Kings.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team of destiny. Ok well maybe not but we really need to win the Cup. its been since 1967, way before i was born. No one in Carolina will pay attention if they win the cup or make it to the finals. Just the same as no one in Toronto would care if some guy from Canada won the Daytona 500.

A Detroit-Toronto final would be awesome. 2 Original 6 teams. Former Norris Division rivals. only 4 hours apart by car. Would anyone really care if San Jose and Carolina played?? mind you i hope San Jose beats Colorado.

"No one in Carolina will pay attention if they win the cup or make it to the finals. Just the same as no one in Toronto would care if some guy from Canada won the Daytona 500. " - Romo sits to pee

That's a rediculous statement, Romo sits to pee. Did you not read my post above? The entire state of NC is buzzing about the Hurricanes. This is supposedly a basketball area, but the Hornets are having to pack up and leave Charlotte while the Hurricanes are enjoying great support and coverage.

Plenty of people are paying attention, I assure you. :)

Romo sits to pee, Brave is right. You cannot turn on a t.v. or open the sports page and not see or read something about the 'Canes. There is alot of support for them. I've always been a Caps fan and they still are my favorite team. But it cool to hear of a NC team doing well in the quest for the Stanley Cup. Needless to say though, who ever wins the west will be names champions.

HTTR

Archived