Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Spurs Have The Talent But Not the Poise

bulldog

I am convinced after last night's game that if you were to brainwash the Spurs into thinking the fourth quarter was actually the second quarter the team might be ahead in this series.

But the fourth quarter is when good teams find themselves focusing and cutting down on mistakes. The Lakers play as a good a fourth quarter as any team in the league since the Jordan Bulls. That's why they are the champs and why they are ahead here 3-1 over San Antonio.

The Spurs have only one player that wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line, Tim Duncan. It is difficult for a center to work the end of the game with defenses sagging and guys running at him while the other 4 Spurs are standing around watching.

Parker is a fine talent. But at 20 he is far away from being the kind of point guard that can calm a team down and run the fourth quarter of a playoff game at this level right now.

Shaq averaged over 32 points last year in the playoffs, but is only scoring 23 this time around.

Fisher is averaging far fewer points as well.

Bryant is averaging the same.

So, how are the Lakers pulling this off? DEFENSE.

The team has gone back to the Bulls model and figured out that with Bryant and Shaq now averaging 45-50 points per night instead of 55-60, the Lakers are going to have to hold teams below 100 to win.

And that is what has happened.

The Spurs have been in the 80's throughout this series. With the relative age and experience factor weighing against them, this type of war of attrition does not favor them.

Their window, after losing BOTH games at home, is closed.

Unless something shocking happens this series is over.

I think when Duncan covered his face with his jersey after last night's game he knew the outcome of the series was all but decided as well.

I heard on the Sportsreporters in D.C. that the Refs in the series have been god awful. What is up with the NBA? is this true?

I've only been watching the Kings/Mav's since all the others are kinda boring to me.

So...here is my question for the masses.

Out of the 4 majors in the U.S., which is the most corrupt?

1. through 4.

1. NBA (worst?)

2. MLB

3. NHL

4. NFL

do you agree? why?

1. MLB. There is little conistency in the umps calling of balls and strikes and they have steadfastly refused to call the game the way the rule book states they should. These guys are a law unto themselves and can't think of a sport where the officials play a more active role in the outcome of games.

2. NHL. Everyone in the NHL openly admits that they put the whistles away in the playoffs. That is why you see so many more cheap shots than during the regular season. Bettman came in and said he was going to try and clean up the game but has evidently decided that is too difficult. So instead he has decided to rule on specific cases to make examples out of individuals rather than try to enforce any code of conduct across the board. As a result star players get hurt in the NHL far more than they do in any other sport and that has an effect on TV ratings for the playoffs, when so many stars are hurt or at less than 100%.

3. NBA. NBA refs also put the whistle away in the playoffs at times. But the homecourt advantage usually evens itself out over the course of a seven game series. Yes, superstars get more calls, but in what sport do they not? Jordan walked with the ball numerous times on the highlight films. It was never called. But Brett Favre uses the head snap to pull defenders off side and that is rarely called. Pitchers such as Roger Clemens often hitch their motion in what is a balk but that is rarely called either.

4. NFL. The NFL refs in my mind make the most effort to be impartial. Yes, they make mistakes. But at least they have some review capability. In the NBA and MLB the rule of law of the ump or ref is absolute. Horrendous calls stand with no opportunity at review in most cases. The one thing I would do differently if I were the NFL is I would make the officials full-time employees of the league. It is preposterous that refs don't use the offseason like the players and coaches to refine their craft. Surely in a league where the dollars have made it such a rich business, we should have full-timers interpreting the rules on the field during games. :)

Gotta agree with Bulldog and say its defense. The Spurs game plan down the stretch is so predictable, give it to Duncan, that the Lakers are confusing the Spurs on where the double teaming is coming from. I read that in the beginning of the game, the Lakers try to play it simple, straight up, but mix it up completely by evening triple teaming down the stretch.

However, Spurs lack the killer instinct that the Lakers obviously have developed over the past several years. It makes it pretty easy when you have Kobe though. :D

I agree that Duncan probably didn't deserve it, but I don't think that Shaq or Kobe did either. Especially not Shaq, this was his worst year in the past 3-4 years. Just because they decide to show up (sort of) when the playoffs start doesn't mean that they should be MVP. The regular season is a big part of the decision of who the MVP is.

the trouble with that logic is that Shaq's numbers even when lukewarm by his own standards is usually head and shoulders above the rest :)

and is there a player in the NBA that is so integral to the success of a winning franchise?

The Jordan-less Bulls made it to the Eastern Conference finals against the Knicks in the 1990's, would the 2002 Lakers be here right now playing SA without Shaq?

How many games would this team have won without him?

40 or 44 probably.

If you want to combine performance of individual AND performance of team (vs previous years) then Kidd should get the award hands down.

And I would have no problem with that either.

MVP is J Kidd.

League unstoppable player is Shaq.

Now people are spouting that the Kings will beat the heck out of the Lakers.

Yeah if they catch them from behind with a 2 by 4.

I guarantee Webber will have amnesia when comes to an inside game Satuday when they play the Lakers and any thought of a Sacramento sweep is silly.

Now people are spouting that the Kings will beat the heck out of the Lakers.

Yeah if they catch them from behind with a 2 by 4.

I guarantee Webber will have amnesia when comes to an inside game Satuday when they play the Lakers and any thought of a Sacramento sweep is silly.

Put your icon where your mouth is! 30 quality posts with a Norval icon for the loser!

Archived