Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsline: Coles for Santana Moss

cphil006

This is basically giving the Jets a Christmas present. What are they giving up? A mediocre player nearing the end of his contract, who will almost certainly want more than he's worth.

What are we giving up? Probably a huge chunk of our cap, a Pro Bowl caliber receiver, and we'll most likely give Moss a new deal ASAP to ensure we capitalize on the trade by locking him up for the long term. That'll be another $2 million against the cap, roughly. Just to get back to where we started.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We're better off letting Coles stagnate on the roster for a year.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

The problem is that Gibbs values players with experience over draft picks...

on sportstalk 980..they jsut said that the Jets will pick up the 5 million of Coles and that S. Moss's base salary for next year is $500,000.

Not too bad IMO....

overall draft picks would be nice, but again GIbbs doesnt prefer them like experienced players.

That is a good deal but Coles value is a bit higher the Moss. I worry about Joe's philosophy in today's Nfl. Most of the playoff Teams draft their own players & don't overpay. He fails to realize the importance of draft picks. He practically gives them away like Candy.(2nd rder to DEN & 3rd for M. Brunnell when he was going to be released anyway.) This trade is risky if you ask me. They could throw in a 2nd Rder just in case Moss isn't back with us after this season or he gets injured again. I hope a another teams steps up with a sweeter deal though.

Originally posted by MorgantownHokie88

At least if we get Moss, we know what we are getting. A Gary Clark look a like, who can be a very solid deep threat.

This deal is not all that bad.

We need to stop stamping potential and current players on our roster with players from the glory days. Moss nor Coles for that matter are half the receiver Gary Clark was. There hasn't been a G. Clark or Art Monk since they left the org. Won't be another player like them either. They are unique players. As much as I liked Coles on the field, he still doesn't get consideration when looking at Clark; and Moss isn't as good as Coles. I don't care what the side-by-side stats say. Moss would not take the beating across the middle Coles took this season. Whatever the FO does will be because that's the best deal they could get in this situation and I can live with that.

I think this is not true it is just a rumor that was given life. The Skins aren't going to do anything until they restructure Samuels. I think there are better deals out their for the skins and this is just the only trade the media has heard of so their reporting it.

Originally posted by Boy2Der

I think this is not true it is just a rumor that was given life. The Skins aren't going to do anything until they restructure Samuels. I think there are better deals out their for the skins and this is just the only trade the media has heard of so their reporting it.

Usually where there is smoke there is fire...

I would be for the trade if we did actually get rid of the 5 mil hit. Sure we can argue if we are getting the proper value for Coles.......but we are getting rid of a cry baby player at this point, getting atleast something in return (especially on the offensive side) and will be in a much better cap position in 2006.

Why are people so down on Moss? WE don't need a possession WR, Jacobs is big enough for that(plus he can go deep) and Thrash is jus that. Moss has Burress like YPC. I thought that was what you guys wanted. A legit deep threat. 18.6 YPC.

Those of you saying Moss is not a good WR or an average WR don't know what you are talking about. I like the trade IF Coles gives part of the SB back. We were looking at getting nothing for Coles. Moss is a very good WR and is very fast. I think he is a better WR at this point than Coles. I say do it. Or Let's do this. Give the Jets Coles and our first rounder for Moss, their 5th round pick and Abrahams. I say that because B. Edwards and Williams will not be there at #9.

If we do keep our #9 then I say lets trade down pick up a pick and take Mark Clayton later in the first and possible get Baas with the extra pick.

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

We said that about Coles when we first picked him up. Now look at us. I hope you're right though.

Coles still can be that player....he is still productive...but he doesnt want to be in the offense. So if he stuck around he could have easily become that player. He has chosen not to...not us.

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

How can you claim it's a one year fix? Have you been on the phones with Joe Gibbs listening to the discussions they're having? How do you know that we wouldn't entertain the possibility of extending his contract? Do you think we are going to give up one of the better WR's in the game for a one year rental? Right now might not be the best time to extend him because we have a myriad of problems to take care of this off season. I'm sure at some point before now and the season starts they will take care of the contract. Doesn't Drew Rosenhause work good with The Dan anyway? They'll probably have that thing done over an appetizer at Olives one night.

well i have said we need to sign Moss to a longer contract... i didnt restate myself in that post in particular but i agree with you that we need to sign him to a longer contract...

only reason i brought that up as being a one year fix is because the previous poster said that moss will only cost 400k this year... but that is only if you want him for one year and let him become a FA... i say we should sign him to a modest longer contract even though it might increase his cap number his year...

It's unfortunate because we could have had Moss if Marty didn't take Garnder. In any case, I don't like this deal. Not because it's uneven, but because of Moss' expiring contract.

We are going to get rid of Coles big contract only to possibly add Moss'. What if he doesn't want a new contract when he comes here? I just don't see this working out too well.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

Coles still can be that player....he is still productive...but he doesnt want to be in the offense. So if he stuck around he could have easily become that player. He has chosen not to...not us.

I was meaning us as a whole. The Redskins, the fans, Coles...all of us, not just us here on this board. :)

Interesting side note if this deal goes through. It would make Morton expendable since we have seen Betts return kickoffs and Moss is a punt returner as well. This would free up a game day roster spot for someone who does not play ST, like say McCants...

Not to mention the what it might do for our cap situation.

Here's some comments on Moss prior to the 2001 NFL draft. He is the guy Snyder wanted while Marty wanted 50/50. I think it is a good move IF Coles agrees to forgo the 5 mil. bonus. He may not be the pre-injury Coles but he has performed at a high level in this league. The Jets traded 2 picks to move up and get this guy.

16. N.Y. Jets (from Pittsburgh): WR Santana Moss, Miami (Fla.)

First impression: When the Redskins took Rod Gardner with the previous pick, the Jets were worried that Moss might be off the board when the 19th selection rolled around, so they gave up two extra picks to move up and take Moss.

Buchsbaum says: A dynamic impact player who can change field position faster than anyone but the referee. Also a dynamic punt returner who brought back four for touchdowns last year. Played against the best competition and the best corners in college and dominated. As a junior in the Kickoff Classic, he went against Ahmad Plummer, subsequently a first-round pick by the 49ers, and made Plummer look as if he couldn’t run. Although short, Moss is very well-built and has rare jumping ability. He also is a terrific competitor. He will give the Jets an element they hadn’t had since Wesley Walker was in his prime.

SANTANA MOSS

By: Dave-Te' Thomas

#6-SANTANA MOSS University of Miami Hurricanes 5:09.5-181

ANALYSIS

Positives... Hard worker who simply loves the game...Has a small, but well-defined body with outstanding stop-&-go action...Flashes tremendous quickness off the line, maintaining balance and body control in and out of his breaks...Plays at a solid low pad level that allows him to easily uncover from defenders in the open...Extends his arms and snatches the ball with his hands... Excels at working back to the ball, showing fearlessness going up for the pass in traffic...Exciting game-breaker on returns, moving effortlessly past defenders, but also displaying tremendous acceleration to avoid being tackled...One of the best in the game at tracking the ball in flight... Has that great leg drive needed to break tackles near the line and despite his size, shows power, determination and a solid hand punch to disengage from the press coverage...Extremely effective on crossing patterns, separating from his defender in an instant...Very flexible in his adjustments turning on the ball...Gives a good blocking effort upfield in run support...One of the best "high flyers" in the game, possessing a 42-inch vertical jump.

Negatives... While tough over the middle, he tends to "short arm" (keeps his hands near his body) working for the ball in traffic...His slight frame could be a problem vs. the more physical pro cornerbacks, but he has shown at Miami that he has enough effective moves to separate from the press coverage.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Before all the juniors declared, Moss was sitting on top of the mountain as this position's best prospect. Like Smith and Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison, a team that uses Moss as the home run threat will see a lot of points put up on the board. While I don't expect him to last that long, wouldn't he be a perfect fit for the Eagles in the first round

| WR | Miami (FL) | Big East Conference Selected by New York Jets in round 1, pick 16 (16 overall) Height Weight 40 Grade 5'9½ 184 4.33 8.69

Moss is a small-framed receiver who plays with a lot of confidence and energy. He is explosive out of cuts and is able to get defenders off balance in his routes. Moss has very good balance and vision as a runner, and should be an impact player at the next level despite his size limitations.

I think you have to like the Santana Moss pick to the Jets. He’ll be the kick returner, punt returner and third receiver, and might, Rams head coach Mike Martz told me, be the best receiver in this draft when all is said and done.

The CBS Sportsline story has been updated to say:

However, sources said the Jets will not agree to a deal that includes the assumption of the bonus, and that for the trade to go through Washington would have to pay the remaining sum. They also said the Redskins seem willing to pay it.

That makes a huge difference. If we don't have to pay the $5 million, then I think it's a decent deal. If we do have to pay the $5 million, then it seems like an awful deal. It seems we'd be better off trading Coles to some other team that would eat the $5 million, even if they gave us much less in return.

The only thing that might make things better than they seem about the Moss deal is something I pointed out about the Portis deal: if a team picks up a player who still has a year or two left on a contract that is at a low salary level, and if the trade will only go through if the player agrees to a long-term contract extension, then the long-term contract should end up at somewhat below market value.

Archived