Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears of last year= 'Skins of this year

Golgo-13

If things do pan out with Spurrier, etc. I could see us coming out of nowhere like the Bears did last year. This would be plus or minus a few wins, of course, especially considering that that Bears had lady luck on their side big time last year. That's what I could see happening with us, it will be a very interesting year to watch.

The sad thing is that the Bears were actually picked to be much improved 2 years ago by many people in the press. All of their signings just took another year to actually gell into a good team. Here's hoping it doesn't take us that long.

well, we do have 2 of the 3 quarterbacks the Bears had on their roster in 2001 don't we? :laugh:

we also have Carl Powell, Marvin Lewis' buddy, signed as a free agent DE who made a big play or two to get the Bears to the playoffs in 2001.

If Shane Matthews can complete 60% of his passes and throw more touchdowns than interceptions, even if that ratio is only say 17 td's and 12 or 13 int's I think the Skins have the chance with the surrounding talent and on D to make the playoffs.

If Matthews or another starter puts up the 53% and 10/10 numbers that Banks did last year and the awful per game yardage totals, then I think the Skins will struggle to get back to 8-8 as the NFC is going to be more competitive this year IMO.

Originally posted by gbear

The sad thing is that the Bears were actually picked to be much improved 2 years ago by many people in the press. All of their signings just took another year to actually gell into a good team.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, they fired the GM who put the team together sometime before the season started. This after the guy picked Urlacher, and a bunch of other rough gems.

one big difference is the OL and DL for redskins is not as good. the skins do have some talent but until those two are addressed, they will continue to struggle. This also points to the lack of depth at those positions.

plus keep in mind, three years, three head coaches, three different coaching staffs and three totally different systems. don't expect everything to jell.

from shawn: plus keep in mind, three years, three head coaches, three different coaching staffs and three totally different systems. don't expect everything to jell.

this, IMHO, is going to be a major factor. having so many gators will help out SS, and having lewis be so familiar with NFL D's will help out the D. it will still be a crap shoot in my opinion...

here's to hoping though...

httr

The defense will be fine.

The CBs will still play man to man.

The linebackers can all cover the tight end and deliver hits.

BDW and Wynn can take on the run on their side.

The offense may take a while but we 'll see.

Not every team has a superstar at every position. The Bears had a suspect secondary last year, but it wasn't too much of a problem because of the talent that was around them. It'll be the same this year except vice-versa.

The Redskins roster this season is MORE talented than the Bears roster last year. :)

You guys point to ONE advantage the Bears had with depth at DT, but the Redskins have advantages in comparison at T, LB, CB, RB and probably WR as well.

Miller vs. Matthews at qb is a push. Actually, both were co-#1's in camp last year in Chicago until Matthews got injured. Most people forget that fact.

The Bears also have a slight advantage at DE, given relative youth and questions about whether Coleman will be on the Skins roster after June 1.

Another area is center where Kreutz gets the nod over Moore.

But that's about it.

I look at the Bears taking a step back in 2002. This team won't win 12+ games again.

My guess is like New England they will face tougher competition from teams circling those dates on the calendar and will likely suffer more injuries to key players like the Jags and Titans did last year.

Though I don't think this will be our year to jell, I think it will eventually happen....just next year probably. We still have to have players learn the playbook and get comfortable with it, get comfortable with each other, and fill a few holes etc. However, after all is said and done over the next year or so, I think we will probably be a team with a decent D and a pretty good offense. In other words a fairly well balanced 11-5/12-4 type team that can't outscore everybody all the time or stop everybody all the time. Rather, I think we'll be the type of team who's defense stops the teams we can't outscore and who's offense outscores the teams we can't stop. Does that make any sense ? I hope so.

Anyway, I really can't wait for the next couple of seasons to play out, it's really going to be exciting.

Is it football season yet ?

I think this team is close because it has a lot of the parts. If we can acquire or develop a top notch qb over the next few years I think that will determine our fate.

The only thing I see holding this organization back is dead money against the cap and that is why I get a little nervous every time we talk about a huge new bonus for Stephen Davis or a renegotiated deal for Bruce Smith.

I think we have to manage their salaries as well as their careers.

Whatever works out in the team's long-term interest vis a vis the cap is the critical issue.

The Broncos showed with Davis, Gary and Anderson that you CAN acquire capable backs in the middle rounds of the draft.

While Davis is an elite player, in Spurrier's offense the difference between his 1,400 yards and say 1,000 from another back who can also catch the ball and represent a home run threat may not be that great.

And we know from experience that we can get productive backs even in the 4th round :)

The thing the Skins have going for them are the "franchise" building blocks they have; the playmakers -- specifically on the defensive side of the ball.

Players like LaVar Arrington, Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot, Jeremiah Trotter, and even Jessie Armstead in some regards are the sort of guys that make the plays that turn out to be the differences in a ballgame.

On the offensive side, players like Samuels, Gardner (though, I suspect how well he fits Spurrier's style), Jansen, and Davis are guys you envision building around when starting a franchise.

But, with these "franchise" players, the questions at QB, OL, and DL will obviously be the determing factors for your team. With Matthews, he's pretty much a known commodity in my mind -- a solid backup, and a sub-par starter. I'm not sure there's that much validity to the possibility of him just suddenly lighting it up at this stage of his career; Spurrier or no Spurrier. You've got signed some somewhat solid interior OL, but can they all mend and gel in one offseason to form a cohesive unit (conversely, I have the fear whether or not the likes of Glover, Hardy, Westbrook, Williams, and Ekuban -- since he missed 15.5 games a year ago -- can gel enough through camp to form the sort of unit as they appear they should on paper).

Also, bulldog, you made mention that you need to find a franchise QB over the course of the next few seasons in order to get the most out of the talent you currently have. While that is true in theory, the problem with that is in today's league how easy is it to keep together the core of a team while you attempt to find a franchise QB?

Look at Dallas for instance -- IMO, we have a solid group of guys on defense with Glover, Ellis, Coakley, Hardy, Williams, Woodson, Westbrook, Edwards, and Nguyen. Offensively, the line looks solid with Allen, Adams, Page, and Gurode; Emmitt is still running hard; and Galloway and Ismail are capable of providing some big plays (though are not worth near their paychecks).

But all that will go for naught if Q cannot prove to be a capable QB in this league. If we're searching for a QB who can play for the next 3 years, the surrounding talent will never be put to use into a winning record. The Glovers, Hardys, Coakleys, Woodys, etc will have moved on by the time a guy finally develops.

I really thought the Skins would have been better served taking a solid OL/DL in the first two rounds than taking the players they did. Taking Harrington, had there been some way to maneuver to get him, would have been well worth it; I've just never been sold by Ramsey and thought there were better players on the board who would make a bigger impact for your club. Stick a Gurode on the line and protect a Matthews and hope that he can produce the 60%, 17 TDs, 12 INTs. I will say my opinion here is biased of sorts though, as I was never a fan of Ramsey leading up to the draft...

Originally posted by Dale

But all that will go for naught if Q cannot prove to be a capable QB in this league. If we're searching for a QB who can play for the next 3 years, the surrounding talent will never be put to use into a winning record.

That's MY point. I usually have a point, unless I comb my hair over it. Taco. Who will go deep into the playoffs first, Washington or Dallas???? Whoever first finds a franchise QB.

Will it be Quincy Carter???? Or Shane Ramsey???? I don't know. I just know that I can't see Ryan Leaf or Shane Mathews winning a clutch playoff game in the 4th quarter. But I can see the computer monitor. That's how I know what I'm typing. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Taco.

I think the talent on Washington is better suited to beat more teams than Dallas, since most teams rely on a version of the WCO, and with our secondary and linebackers, nobody will be able to pass short or over the middle with us. But I think the talent on Dallas is better suited to beat US than we are to beat YOU. We just don't have the DTs to handle a power-running attack. And Dallas always beats us with a power-running game. Yuck. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

The '01 Bears are exactly the type of team the Redskins can be in the best case scenario. The Bears were fishing into free agency to patchup the defense for 2 years. The first year they flopped. The second year it worked. Any success the Bears had last year was a direct result of the defense and 'adequate' play from the QB position (ie Jim Miller).

The defense was geared to shutting down the run which gave their secondary opportunities to make plays. Mike Brown made a couple of them that won games. The offense was playing the 'not-to-lose' game. The Bears weren't overwhelming anyone and Jim Miller was under a microscope all year because he wasn't putting up numbers expected of a team experiencing so much success.

Duh. He didn't have to when the defense was dominating the opposition.

The Redskins are set up very similar. They've focused on the defense and stopping the run. And they believe they've got a QB now in Matthews that knows the system and will limit mistakes.

If things go right they can match the Bears' success last year. But too many things would have to go right. So I'm guessing 8-8.

Originally posted by Die Hard

The '01 Bears are exactly the type of team the Redskins can be in the best case scenario.

Chicago invested in two BIG defensive tackles, to protect their linebackers. In fact, they made a point to bring in the best run-stuffer in the game, coincidentally named Washington (Ted). I've always thought that linebackers need protection to perform. Maybe that's just a myth, like gremlins, goblins, and libertarians.

Either way, until we find some stability up front, I don't think we'll be an elite defense. The trouble is that we keep offering big money to talented guys with reputations for erratic play, or for questionable work ethics. Sean Gilbert, Dana Bubblehead, and Dan "Big Donkey" Wilkinson come to mind.

At this point, I'd rather have a guy who'll work like an Asian in a Nike factory, even if he doesn't have the best genetics in the world.

Archived