Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help from the pros. Help me buy a new car!

Southtown

My '94 Pathfinder has seen better days and its getting to the point where I want to buy a new car in the next few months.

I've only owned two cars my entire life, a Camaro my parents handed down that I used in high school and college and then my Pathfinder that I bought in the summer of '98.

So basically I need to know the best way to buy a new car. To keep it simple, assume it will be an '05 SUV. I see all the ads for huge cash rebates and 0% financing and want to make sure I have the correct approach to get the best deal possible.

I've gone on cars.com and carsdirect.com and see the invoice prices etc and then some ads from last Sunday's paper have prices that are even lower.

Some other info:

Credit score is in the high 700s. (780 average)

No trade in, will probably give my Pathfinder to my dad up north since he will drive it into the ground.

Have money for a down payment but would prefer to put as little down as possible.

Will keep the vehicle for a long time so I don't think a lease will work.

SUV/gas prices are not a factor right now since I work very close to home.

Not opposed to a used car ('03 or '04) but to keep the example simple lets assume its an '05.

So for instance, if I wanted to buy a 2005 4Runner (or whatever) in a month, how can I ensure I get the best price available.

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

New car buying tips:

1. Learn to walk away. If you don't like the price, walk away.

2. Never agree on a deal first. If they agree to sell you, they will make money, doesn't matter invoice price, just plain BS. Car dealers make money regardless, the get incentive from the manufactures.

3. Don't let them keep you around long; like they have to go ask the manager (BS),

4. Do your homework. Find TMV, Bluebook Value, prices from diff. dealer.

5. Tell them they can make that money on the next sell.

Hope these help!!!

Good Luck... I'm in a market of buying a new car too.

Knowing your beacon score will help...with 780 you'll qualify for the best rate any lending institution has.

Remember this, if not going with a special finance rate from

the mfg, that the dealer can increase the APR he quotes you

up 2.5-3%. Find out what the rate is at your local bank or credit

union.

I'm not familiar with Toyota's incentives, but if have questions

about Ford's incentives, then just PM me.

I won't get into my rant about Processing Fees.

Used cars have a higher APR than new cars

Also check out not only dealer incentives but make incentives (EX GM website) Also check around with dealers in smaller areas. There is a Chevrolet dealership outside Charleston that sells every car for 99.00 over dealer invoice. Do not buy the first one you see or like. Be smart and look around!

Also play dealers say well this dealer is giving me this exact same car for this what can you do etc....

Archived