Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shane don't get on my list.

NavyDave

WTEM Reports that Shane Matthews plans on wearing the number 9 when he arrives.

This should get interesting.

I know Sonny's number isnt officially retired however this is nuts.

Czaban suggested that Matthews wear number 8 since it is fresh(nearly no grass stains or dirt) and hardly used :laugh:

I also heard they were giving Ladell Betts number 44!!! And this is absolutely insane!!!! Doesn't Snyder have any respect for history???? MY GOD, he's urinating all over tradition!!! Let's petition him to stop.

Well, Ok, I didn't hear that Betts was getting Riggins number. I'm just running out of things to complain about. Everything is going too well. How about this: A loaf of bread costs $1.75?!?!?!? When I was a boy, a plane ticket to London, seven hookers, and a bottle of scotch was only six pennies. Can't those lousy Democrats do ANYTHING right????? Sigh

Well..

44 is off limits cuz of Riggo

28 cuz of Darrell..

9 cuz of Sonny..

81 cuz of Monk

84 cuz of Clark..

Well hell, I can probably think of a Redskin great fo almost every number.

Just make them all wear 00!! :laugh:

Seriously guys, the team's history is that they DO NOT retire #'s. Snyder is sticking with History. I don't see the big deal. The Player makes the #, not the other way around.

come on with this number tradition thing.

WHy should WE mind if they recycle them?

its only a uniform after all.

I mean if those guys were actually playing and there was a conflict I would not hesitate to give the number tothe player who rates (merits). But, since they are all dead (or retired) who cares?

to me, the most important number is in the box score under "W"

I think after so many years you HAVE to use numbers again. Especially when the limit is 99.

If Sonny was cool, he'd follow Joey T who did win a ring and not make a big deal about it.

How about this. If exchange of letting Shane use #9, the Skins have a little exibit on Sonny in the HOF store for the year, just him......you can even buy his throwback Jersey and he gets a cut.

hmnmmmmmm?

give me a break.

does anyone actually think Jerry Jones would allow another player to wear #22 or #8 for the Cowboys?

I agree that you can't retire or put out to pasture too many numbers because of the size of an NFL roster.

But a FEW should be off the shelf.

I think if you are a HOFer or SB MVP your jersey should only be on display in Canton. :)

In these cases there ARE other numbers available. How about Matthews compromises and wears #19 instead?

Maybe it is a snobbery thing to some degree, but do you really give out a legend's jersey number to a guy you sign to a one-yer deal for $750K?

I mean Matthews isn't exactly a guy who is going to be a franchise quarterback here for the next 10 years.

Give Shane Matthews #9 dammit. It show's you how anal some fans can be. It's a number. Do fans remember the player and the things he achieved in the NFL or the #. The Name is much more important.

Sonny never won anything anyway. Now he's Dan Snyder's eternal butt buddy. He was up his a$$ from day one. Sonny is no longer a player. He doesn't have an ownership stake in the team and he isn't a member of the staff. So F his permission, just give Shane #9.

Part of being a football player is public relations with the fans. For Mathews to be so attached to a meaningless number is dumb. Respect tradition. Respect the flying burrito (that was Manny Fernandez's finishing move). We're fans because of the players who wore the numbers, but part of that memory is the number they wore. And this goes for ALL teams. Would you want to see some free agent signee with the 49ers wearing #16???? NO!!!! Or a Yankee wearing #3??? Come one. Show respect.

If Mathews takes Sonny's number, he'll go on MY list. Along with Hardee's. Sure they SAY you're getting a $6 hamburger, but it's not very good. It gave me the runs.:toilet:

Hahaha, is that the main reason you dislike Hardee's man ? They gave you the runs? The Hardee's in Harrisonburg, VA is hot and on fiah (hot and on fire).

Anyways, Sonny is Sonny. He's a staple of the Redskins community. I think the skins should retire #'s, but in moderation. Dont go throwin out retired jerseys left and right, but they should really be careful about it. Darrell, Slingin Sammy, I mean, those guys are completely legends. Sonny may be up there, Riggins as well. Turk Edwards maybe?

But the Skins have had a lot of GREAT players. We can't just give retired jerseys to every single one.

Originally posted by Wacky Ralph

Part of being a football player is public relations with the fans. For Mathews to be so attached to a meaningless number is dumb.

If you say that Shane being so attached to a meaning less number is dumb, shouldn't that stand for everyone, not just Matthews?

It's foolish for fans to dislike or be non-supportive of a player because of the number they wear or want to wear. Especially when that player is working hard for the success of that team. Holding on to a memory of a number of an old player is trivial.

Your list? Hey man, that sounds so gay. Oh he's gonna be on my "list" now fellas. Whoooooaaaaa, watch out, he's on the LIST. Who gives a damn about your list or who's on it.

All Shane needs to do is buy Sonny a 5th of whatever kind of liquor and a box of cigars, and i'm sure he'd hand over the #.

RELLIM, you can argue the merits of the jersey point from either perspective and I can see some validity to both sides.

But your point that it doesn't matter because Jurgensen 'didn't win anything here anyway' doesn't strike me as a point of view with much currency on this board. :moon:

If your measuring stick of importance of former players is simply being on the roster of a Super Bowl winning team than Otis Wonsley or Vernon Dean should be on the Ring of Honor rather than Sonny and others like Charley Taylor.

Heck, why stop there? Let's boot them out of Canton and put these other CHAMPIONS there instead :rofl:

The biggest mistake fans make is in tying the destiny of any one player in a sport where rosters are made up of 45-53 individuals. No one in the NFL ever won a championship on his own.

Dan Marino and other players like Barry Sanders are evidence of that.

Exactly, both perspective can be argued.

To clarify. Sonny was a great player, but his teams never won anything. Players are always looked at differently when they (oh i'm sorry) the team doesn't win anything. Look at Elway, Favre & and how they were viewed before they won Super Bowls.

I never said that if a player was on a Super Bowl roster, then their number can be retire. It's funny how you've tried to imply that I was stating that. :finger:

Rarely are players numbers the most important aspect of their careers. When you hear about great players, you here people talking about their names and their accomplishments......

Who cares who wears what number, as long as they are working hard for our team. Damn, this is sounding more like a bunch of angry females argueing over wearing the same outfit.

Unless you were a NFL league great. Meaning you pioneered the game, had a tremendous impact on how your position was and will be played, your jersey shouldn't be retired. Soon NFL teams are gonna have to start playing with Letters on the jerseys in place of numbers...

Originally posted by cowboykilla

Hahaha, is that the main reason you dislike Hardee's man ? They gave you the runs? The Hardee's in Harrisonburg, VA is hot and on fiah (hot and on fire).

I'm very familiar with the Hardee's in H'burg Killa, I graduated from Madison two years ago. I'm actually heading that way in about an hour for graduation tomorrow.

Seriously, all this Hardee's bashing is making me more upset than the number controversy. Tell me, how can you not love the Super Star Burger?

Now speaking of runs, can anybody imagine how I felt when I had just gotten the munchies after blazing it up and then went to 7/11 and accidentally got the Olestra enhanced pringles?

I thought so. Don't ever complain about Hardee's again before you tried Olestra chips...

RELLIM, I'm glad you're not a baseball fan living in Boston or Chicago. By your logic, those teams haven't had any players worth mentioning since the 1920's. :laugh:

Take Ted Williams and Carl Yasztremski out and shoot 'em. Do the same with Ernie Banks.

Yeah, they put up the stats and were stellar players for YEARS but heck, they weren't surrounded by cadillac talent so they aren't of the same worth as a guy like Dave Winfield who finally rode the bench on a World Series winner at age 41. Right?

"accomplishments" is a broad term and encompasses a lot of things for an athlete, both indvidually and as a team (if he is in a team sport).

I am just a little bit more cautious than you in evaluating team athletes along the same strict lines as tennis players and track and field stars who perform alone and are in full control of the outcomes. ;)

The bottom line is the team has no policy regarding retiring numbers. There are a handful of skin numbers that should be retired. But if Snyder doesn't make it team policy I have no objections to a new player using a skin great number if.......The great is still alive and gives his blessing or if the player is deceased a living immediate family member gives there blessing. If the blessing is given who are we to deny the family/player from bestoying the honor to a new player. Joe T showed me alot when he gave woeful his blessings. If Sonny gives his ok then I believe Mathews should wear the number proudly. If Sonny refuses to give his approval we should also respect his decision and move on. I seriously doubt "danny warbucks" will not respect Sonny's wishes. The danny's has had his nose so far up sonny's a$$, you wonder if he has been studying dendrochronology, you can tell how old he is by counting the brown rings around his nose.:laugh:

Originally posted by laurent

Now speaking of runs, can anybody imagine how I felt when I had just gotten the munchies after blazing it up and then went to 7/11 and accidentally got the Olestra enhanced pringles?

I thought so. Don't ever complain about Hardee's again before you tried Olestra chips...

OH YEAH!!!!!!! OW!!!! OW!!!!

I'm real mad at those potato chips. They're labeled "Wow" on the front of the bag. Well, wow, I've never had to take a dump that badly. It was painful. I stick with the baked kind, now. I want to lose weight, but I want to keep at least a LITTLE skin on my rectum. It felt like fire.:toilet:

Hardee's has good biscuits, I'll give them that. But their burgers are grease buckets.

By the way, that "Oh yeah" quote reminds me that The Macho Man Randy Savage is in the new Spiderman movie. I saw it today. It's a good film. The only weird part was that the KKK leader on "OZ" (an HBO show) played J.J. Jameson, the publisher of the Daily Bugle. I kept expecting him to start a race riot, but he never did. Mary Jane was hot, but she never flashed her nipples. Maybe in the sequel, I guess.

Archived