Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder on Rome this hour

He was on the Rome show starting at 1:45pm, EST, approximately. And I got to tell you, I didn't think it was that good an interview, from the portion I heard. Rome asked Synder if he really thought the Skins could be a good team without a franchise QB. Synder countered that Brady won the Super Bowl with the Patriots last year. Rome didn't press the issue.

Rome also asked if the signing of Trotter would hurt the Skins salary cap situation down the road and Synder said the deal was cap friendly for years to come. [side note: wasn't the same thing said about the Davis contract when it was signed???].

The other thing I remember them talking about was the "controversy" about Lewis and Spurrier taking a helicopter to FeD Ex Field on draft day, taking time out from the draft. Spurrier said the coaches still had an hour until the Redskins picked in the first round upon returning to Redskins Park.

the Davis contract WAS cap friendly for 3 years. The need to restructure after that was acknowledged by almost everyone at the time.

Snyder is right you don't NEED a franchise qb to win anymore, but it sure helps :D

As far as the helicopters and travel go on draft day, if the staff hasn't done enough homework to come in and make the pick with over an hour left on the board then something is wrong. Especially where the Redskins were selecting.

I don't see the need for EVERYONE in the organization to be sitting there 4 hours before the draft eating popcorn and just waiting around. :)

Let's leave that to Kiper and Mortenson and the rest of the media geeks who get paid to evaluate players without ever having to take the field with them as a HC or GM :laugh:

like they don't have cellphones in the air anyway. If something came up they could of been in contact within minutes. Not a big deal there.

Davis knows he needs to restructure and I've yet to see a source from the Skins say anything about it. It's all sources right now and nobody is commenting. I think it'll get dealt with.

If Snyder was smart, he'd tell Davis that he'll market the guy so big in D.C. that he'll have a shoe named after him and be on commercials all over the place. Make a lot of the $$ back there

dchogs, it was on the second hour.

To add to Craig's post....

Rome asked Snyder about the situation with Davis's contract and whether it was true that the Redskins would cut him if his contract wasn't reworked. Snyder vehemently denied that the team told Davis(and/or his agent) that he would be cut if his contract wasn't reworked. Snyder blamed the agent. He said agents like to tell media those type of things to place the urgency on the organization to get something done.

It seems like Dan was nervous during the interview.

Dan Snyder doesn't interview very well. I don't know why. I think he needs to go to the Stephanie McMahon School of Dramatic Acting. She's come a loooooooooong way.

I don't like Jim Rome. Short people make me nervous, because I'm always afraid they're going to punch me in my crotch.

Snyder still doesn't have full confidence in his abilities as an NFL executive and that is what betrays him in these interviews.

Once the team starts winning and he has a record to point to you will see a different side of Snyder, one that is more at ease with himself and his surroundings.

Let's face it. Cooke was already 60 years old when he came back east to take over active management of the Redskins from Edward Bennett Williams. He had been in sports for years in LA and had Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and other HOFers on his teams.

He was mature and experienced. Snyder is now little more than half Cooke's age at a comparable period of his life. Perhaps his money HAS come along a little faster than his self-confidence.

But, getting $2 billion at age 34 can do that to you :D

Originally posted by bulldog

Let's face it. Cooke was already 60 years old when he came back east to take over active management of the Redskins from Edward Bennett Williams. He had been in sports for years in LA and had Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and other HOFers on his teams.

:D

Don't forgett, Cooke was ALSO involved in BOXING!!!! He was one of the promoters of the first Mohammad Ali/ Joe Frazier fight in New York city.

Come to think of it, how exciting would it have been if Snyder decided to promote the Tyson/ Lewis fight in DC?????

Originally posted by Bufford

If Snyder was smart, he'd tell Davis that he'll market the guy so big in D.C. that he'll have a shoe named after him and be on commercials all over the place. Make a lot of the $$ back there

This is ingenius. It's the true Snyder/Skins wildcard, and he's just the guy to play it. Snyder seems *very* interested in creative marketing ideas, and is also eager to spend his money beyond the mandated limits of the salary cap. Thus the ability to eat Schottenheimer's contract, and hire Spurrier and Lewis at record salaries.

This is the team's true wildcard: figuring out how to make Snyder's money and marketing engine work for the team.

As Bufford says, why not make the Skins the team where players get famous? He could stage all kinds of events and TV advertising, and make these guys hometown heroes. Or he could pull strings and get them meetings with potential sponsors, who might (as Bufford says) do a special Redskin/Davis shoes and similar items.

This really does have the potential to take advantage of Snyder's money and interest in creative marketing.

Geoff

Anyone know what Stephen Davis's middle name is??? Because if it's something like Thomas, he could market himself by his initials. You know.......S.T.D.

I could think of some "catchy" marketing slogans for S.T.D.

Just keep him away from Ben Gay!!!!

Archived